• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

"Venters" silver 10 ounce bar Test results

On 19/06/2020 at 18:06, LawrenceChard said:

4 x "Venters" silver 10 ounce bars:

Venters Silver Bullion Bar 10 Ten Ounce Side View Stack of 4

I must admit I had never heard of Venters before.

I intend to ensure we test one of them.

It took us some time to get round to it, but we did end up testing all 4 of these bars, with strange results.

All were under 999 p.p.t. silver, but all were overweight, but I am happy to say that all worked out to contain more than 10 troy ounces of pure silver.

The Niton test results for the worst of the 4 is shown here:

Venters Silver Bullion Bar 10 Ten Ounce Bar #1 Niton Test Result

Calculation: 339 grams / 31.1035 = 10.89909496 troy ounces gross, x .928 = 10.11436012 troy ounces of fine silver.
The other 3 are also shown in adjacent screenshots.

Chards

• Founder & Administrator

Moved to a new topic as to not let the “Today I received.....” topic go too much off topic :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I suppose if they didn't have "Fine Silver" stamped on them it wouldn't be an issue 😁 

If the advertised 10 oz of silver is in them I'd be happy buying but they should really have something on them stating 'Nominal 92.0' or 'Min 92% Ag". Wouldn't look as fancy then though!

Cool find and thanks for sharing @LawrenceChard

47 minutes ago, ChrisSilver said:

Moved to a new topic as to not let the “Today I received.....” topic go too much off topic :) 

Thanks.

Quick suggestion, how about a thumbs up emoji response, signifying seen and understood / agreed, we use it in Microsoft Teams, where it is very useful.🙂

Chards

34 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

I suppose if they didn't have "Fine Silver" stamped on them it wouldn't be an issue 😁 

If the advertised 10 oz of silver is in them I'd be happy buying but they should really have something on them stating 'Nominal 92.0' or 'Min 92% Ag". Wouldn't look as fancy then though!

Cool find and thanks for sharing @LawrenceChard

I agree.

Most people I have seen offering these for sale omit to disclose any test results, probably because they do not know.

This is partly why I have published detailed information here, on Flickr, and eventually on our website, as we believe in transparency, honesty, and full disclosure.

Chards

6 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Thanks.

Quick suggestion, how about a thumbs up emoji response, signifying seen and understood / agreed, we use it in Microsoft Teams, where it is very useful.🙂

👍

34 minutes ago, WotNxt said:

Is that composition similar to sterling silver?  

Well, yes, as sterling silver is at least 925 p.p.t., and this one is .928; then I would say it is not just similar to, but actually is sterling silver.

Would that suggest these might have been made from melting down jewellery?

Who knows? Perhaps. Does it matter?

If you care to scrutinise all 4 test results shown on Flickr, you will see traces of Cadmium and even Gold, in some of them, whioh may tend to indicate a scrap jewellery provenance, but both those metals also occur naturally in conjunction with silver in ore deposits, but...

The bars are what they are.

Chards

1 hour ago, ChrisSilver said:

More questions...

How can I, as a user, move a post to a new topic?

and... Is that the best treatment when it relates to or is a follow-up to an existing post in an existing topic?

Do many of your members ask so many questions?

Am I being dumb?

Chards

11 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Well, yes, as sterling silver is at least 925 p.p.t., and this one is .928; then I would say it is not just similar to, but actually is sterling silver.

Would that suggest these might have been made from melting down jewellery?

Who knows? Perhaps. Does it matter?

If you care to scrutinise all 4 test results shown on Flickr, you will see traces of Cadmium and even Gold, in some of them, whioh may tend to indicate a scrap jewellery provenance, but both those metals also occur naturally in conjunction with silver in ore deposits, but...

The bars are what they are.

It’s bars of sterling. The only issue is that they’re stamped fine instead of sterling.

• Founder & Administrator
22 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

There is the "Thanks" and "SuperThanks" emojis.

8 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

It is not possible, so please post in the correct areas. However, a user can hit the report button and report a post/topic as in the wrong section add the Moderation team and move it if  needed.

8 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

and... Is that the best treatment when it relates to or is a follow-up to an existing post in an existing topic?

Some posts will take the original topic off topic and may be better suited to their own topics.

If you require further assistance on the forum, please private message me. Rather than discussing in a topic and making that go off topic.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

5 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

More questions...

Do many of your members ask so many questions?

Am I being dumb?

Nope

maybe

yes

nope

I hope that answers your questions @LawrenceChard

Seriously now!

To actually move ,having posted - one needs to contact the admin /moderators - easy way is just tag @HelpingHands, @morezone, @ChrisSilver they are usually "on the ball"

and sort that sort of request with "alacrity"!  😉

1 hour ago, 5huggy said:

Nope

maybe

yes

nope

I hope that answers your questions @LawrenceChard

Seriously now!

To actually move ,having posted - one needs to contact the admin /moderators - easy way is just tag @HelpingHands, @morezone, @ChrisSilver they are usually "on the ball"

and sort that sort of request with "alacrity"!  😉

I was quite happy with the 4 x one word answers!

Edited by LawrenceChard
fixed typo

Chards

1 hour ago, MrUpwardlyMobile said:

It’s bars of sterling. The only issue is that they’re stamped fine instead of sterling.

Sure, they all qualify for sterling, but some of them exceed sterling standard, which is not quite the same as calling them sterliing, and I agree that stamping them as "Fine Silver" is questionable, as is the behaviour of numerous vendors reselling them as fine silver when they do not know, and have not tested them. At least the actual silver content exceeds the stated weight.

If the makers could be questioned, they might argue that they do contain 10 ounces of fine silver, but it still does not excuse the somewhat lax wording.

Chards

7 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Sure, they all qualify for sterling, but some of them exceed sterling standard, which is not quite the same as calling them sterliing, and I agree that stamping them as "Fine Silver" is questionable, as is the behaviour of numerous vendors reselling them as fine silver when they do not know, and have not tested them. At least the actual silver content exceeds the stated weight.

If the makers could be questioned, they might argue that they do contain 10 ounces of fine silver, but it still does not excuse the somewhat lax wording.

Agreed. Objectively, the resellers should have noticed the weight was off as well.

• 2 years later...
11 hours ago, Darr3nG said:

@LawrenceChard - any chance you still have the test results still available? The original flickr link is dead.

They are beautiful bars!

I found some photos of the bars:

silverbullionungraded10ozbestvaluebarsinglepre-ownedventerstopviewcrop.thumb.jpg.83881a0fdbbc1e69d9d8ff535aff7150.jpg

They all tested slightly different!

silverbullionungraded10ozbestvaluebarsinglepre-ownedventerssideviewstackof4crop.thumb.jpg.e0dd3e342b8c1d6a882b9bb14d1b02bd.jpg

... and they look slightly porous.

1404308216_silverbar.thumb.jpeg.33635254f1a99f2f30ea0ca5fec34dc1.jpeg

Above and below are 2 phone pics of quick Niton tests, but I don't know which related to which bar.

1098041697_nitontestlc.thumb.jpeg.5402771a3eb8f2b6a68caa423f3630a1.jpeg

I believe we supplied an original Niton test sheet with each of the bars when we sold them.

😎

Chards