• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Churchill Quarter Sovereign - what are your thoughts?

PeterPan

Not sure on the legalitys of how they can call it a sovereign (maybe weight and purity specification) but I think its an ugly coin that will never really be worth above spot in the secondary market..That said if the price of gold goes up much more it may actually end up being a good buy. 

No it's not a Royal Mint sovereign, and there is no restriction on using the term sovereign for coins so why wouldn't use that term, it's associated with a famous coin. 

Hattons of London are always doing the world's first quarter sovereign. They don't mind the odd bit of spam emailing either, but to be fair was easy to stop. I've not bought from them again, but I do know they'll sell you all sorts of over priced gold and silver though.

The first piece of gold I bought was a Hatton quarter sovereign (the worlds first 24kt one!!!!!) out of a newspaper advert. I was incredibly naive and figured owning some gold would be nice. Interestingly that was almost a year ago and I paid £99 for it, so at least Hattons have kept their prices the same.

As it happens I got lucky as the design was Una and the Lion (again no knowledge of that when I bought it), often considered to be a very beautiful design and highly desirable. Turns out it was incredibly easy to sell on when the time came, I doubled my money after ebay fees etc. However I'm fairly convinced that had it been any other design, I doubt it would have sold so easily and for so much. 

I would say if I was Queen Elizabeth I would have this company shut down for producing such a poor portrait of me.

There's already a thread about this, I believe it's issued by one of the channel Islands so it's technically legal tender in the issuing island. Hence why they can call it a quarter sovereign.

It's a weird looking coin but at the minute it's only about £16 over spot

Not sure why Churchill looks like Noel Coward. Still trying to work out who has taken the place of the queen. If the gold price doubles over night could be worth buying every one they have.

I'm sure Jody Clark is having a good laugh! 

I've just had a quick search and I can't actually find a cheaper quarter sovereign. I might have to order one!

If you check sold items on eBay a few have sold for 145/150 so can already bag a profit. One per household sadly 😆

10 hours ago, Notafront4adragon said:

Private mint. 

This. Private mints especially pobjoy and tower in UK make deals with over seas territories to strike legal tender coins for that terriotory which gives them the opportunity to make bullion and proofs. Some are interesting, most are strangely designed numismatic bombs.

Archived