• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Queen's Beasts - Missed the boat ?

Airgead

Hi

Fairly new to collecting and can't help but feel I've missed out on this wonderful set.

So far I have only collected 1 oz coins but I am so tempted to start the 2 oz collection with these.

I priced up some for sale on here over the last few weeks and it was looking about £485 for the 9 (one popular dealer and sponsor on here is doing the 9 for £470 at the moment).

What say the experts of TSF: Is it too late to start ? Are they really worth it (especially at those prices) ?

They're the nicest produced Royal Mint bullion coins I've come across so far, they really are lovely to behold. The prices you quoted are about right from the non-VAT sites, the Lion and the Bull push up the cost a bit although none of them are cheap as such. That said it depends what you compare them to I suppose. Whether the cost will stay as it is will depend on the grand premium hike of spring '20 and if it sticks around...

I got three of them just before the premiums shot up, not inclined to chase the rest of them just yet unless a good deal pops up.

It all depends on how much money you have available to spend. I won't say it's too late, you can fairly easily backdate the 2oz silver coins, especially with the low price of silver at the moment. However, currently the avaiability of all silver is very much impacted by the coronavirus and resulting economic problems. It is difficult to get hold of any silver bullion coins right now, let alone Queen's Beasts. And QB's are some of the most popular ones. So, you might be asked to pay a bit more than normally. Hence it's a bit of a tricky time to "join the party" so to speak. Your best bet is the silver forum and Ebay for affordable QB silver coins. I'd say the only one that is quite hard to find is the Griffin, and it costs at least double what the others do.

I'm no expert but those are my immediate thoughts. Browse around the sales section every day to look for bargains or at least available QB coins...

I just don't get the obsession with Queen's Beast, to me they are nothing special , to me they are the same as any other silver or 24 carat gold coins, had all of them in 1 oz gold and didn't like them at all, specially the hefty premium they carry for absolutely no reason, not my cup of tea .

@RisinSun has a few for sale, worth checking out what he has left in that first batch of silver he's letting go of 👌

Check out the trade section, thoroughly recommend premium membership as you'll get access to that section as soon as stuff is put up. Some amazing deals to be had, much more exciting anticipating new stuff on there than eBay in my opinion!

Just checked out RisinSun's listing again, those prices are good. He's besting the prices of the VAT free European sites and his coins will be in great condition 👍

This is the set that got me into collecting coins, and precious metals in general.  Prior to their release I had a few silver and golds coins, with no real interest in stacking or collecting.  I love the designs....I decided that if I'm going to have x% of my portfolio in PMs, it might as well look awesome 🙂

Of course everyone has different tastes.  I think if I were starting out now, and just discovered this set, I would start with the new and recent issues, and hope the premiums subside in the earlier ones over time.  

5 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

really, the bull? what about the griffin? that's easily the most expensive.

Going by what I'd seen for sale but not so much looking at the Trade section on here and yes, that Griffin...🙃 Quite right!

Sorry guys - didn’t mean to start a war 😇

Although looking at the questions maybe I did.

Some good deals on here but due to the price of the Lion and the Griffin, the dealers price looks not too bad - possibly.

In your experience, what are the chances of knocking a dealer down a bit on price?

From my experience of completing the full silver 2oz set recently 

Yes expect to pay double at least for a Griffin unless you get lucky, eBay auctions rather than buy it now much better though I did grab a few via here.

Lion of England and black bull where my 2 hardest to get at decent price.

Sourcing my platinum set now

Nope don't like them just buying to start an argument that we don't have here 🤐😵😋😋😋😉😉😉

@Airgead  You say you already collect the 1oz proofs so you know the answer, they are a fab series to collect, with the 2ozers in particular if you are a perfectionist watch out for milkspots & dings on them. For exactly that reason I collect the slabbed versions. That is not to say you can't get good ones just look closely, most sellers on here will disclose any problem coins so you can buy with confidence.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

On 14/04/2020 at 18:18, Airgead said:

Hi

Fairly new to collecting and can't help but feel I've missed out on this wonderful set.

So far I have only collected 1 oz coins but I am so tempted to start the 2 oz collection with these.

I priced up some for sale on here over the last few weeks and it was looking about £485 for the 9 (one popular dealer and sponsor on here is doing the 9 for £470 at the moment).

What say the experts of TSF: Is it too late to start ? Are they really worth it (especially at those prices) ?

I have the first 8, that I may be willing to part with, of course that does depend on the price.

What do you lot think is a fair price?

Archived