• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Leaving the EU - SOTD Sovereign

creative

We all know that the recent general election was all about Brexit. And who convinced the electorate to see Brexit through? Not Boris Johnson. Not Nigel Farage. Not Theresa May. 

Those of you that take the plunge and buy tomorrow's SOTD sovereign please examine that tiny privy mark very very carefully. Is it really a portcullis? Or is it just a fence - with Jeremy Corbyn sitting on it. 😂

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is shocking that the SOTD Albert went from 500 to 550 and now this coin is at 800.  Saying that, they have no doubt watched with amazement, as we all have, the Gold Una go through the roof. I'm surprised the RM do not hold back some of their coins and list them on Ebay themselves........no reason for them not to do so.

Anyway, back to the price......anyone noticed that the the price of Minty has gone down? Nothing makes any sense anymore.

10 minutes ago, Rgcoins said:

I personally have every SOTD but for BU and just a privy at 800 pounds. I will not be buying this coin. Even with fat pockets, there’s a limited to how much you can milk the fool. Me being the fool. 

I suspect this will be a piedfort - otherwise the price is senseless, and anyone who buys it is literally throwing away their hard/earned money. 

11 minutes ago, Rgcoins said:

I personally have every SOTD but for BU and just a privy at 800 pounds. I will not be buying this coin. Even with fat pockets, there’s a limited to how much you can milk the fool. Me being the fool. 

On the contrary. I think you're quitting while you're ahead so to speak. £500 or thereabouts for previous SOTDs was expensive but not exhorbitant in my opinion. We're in an expensive hobby. I think you're very wise to call it a day on SOTDs now and certainly not a fool.

53 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

I do have all four of the Minty pigs now. I am going to start an Army. Piggy Division No.1. Pictures may follow.

Are you now into pig farming, Andrew?  Take care buddy. Mind you don't catch swine flu.

9 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

They saved £10 by not having any embellishments on the piggy 🤪

I like the plain look design. The first one was a bit busy. The xmas one was beautiful. The snowman a bit 'meh'.

Anyway, sorry, back to the 800 quid for 7.32240g of gold debate. I'm bored talking about 85 quid for a ceramic pig.

1 hour ago, GoodAsGold said:

It seems to me that the Royal Mint has SOTD sovereign collectors over a barrel (and the RM knows it). These "specials" are now being struck more and more regularly and at exorbitant prices and this is an obvious winner for the RM (SO FAR). The £800 cost is the new baseline and if demand continues for these then future issues will become even more prevalent and the cost will  continue to rise for collectors. I think that this will even be in the short term regardless of the gold price.

Personally, if I had been collecting them (which I haven't) I would stop now. If/when my car insurer contacts me saying thanks for being a valued customer and your annual premium is only going up another £50, then I shop around and take my business elsewhere. Businesses take financial advantage of customer loyalty and the RM clearly intends to rip collectors off. 

I appreciate that SOTD collectors can't just shop around like they can for car insurance, which takes me back to my original point of the RM having them over a barrel.

SOTD is Scam on the day.

I get your point completely here, collectors of the SOTD are absolutely over the proverbial barrel.  

A £300 price hike is an inordinate re-rate of prices on the last releases.

A much better analagy would be being a football supporter of a team doing well- unfortunately my three lads have followed my lead and support Leeds United.  They have terrible trouble getting tickets to see them play- all work hard, so cannot commit to a season ticket, but just to see occasional matches, they have to buy a 'membership' each year which costs £60, just for the privilege of a 'chance' of buying high priced tickets, and at the ground they are fleeced for beer, pies & merchandise.  My eldest travels to see England play football- what a scam this is- but another story. I believe Arsenal charge four figure sums for a season ticket- and there's a wait list to buy.

I stopped going to watch Leeds United regularly long ago due to the prices and frankly, being put over a barrel.

45 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I suspect this will be a piedfort - otherwise the price is senseless, and anyone who buys it is literally throwing away their hard/earned money. 

I wouldn't hold my breath that this is a Piedfort.  

If it were, wouldn't they have explicitly marketed it so?  

It describes this release as a 'Sovereign'.

If it was being marketed as a Piedfort then an enthusiastic orderly queue would be forming right now.

937926311_Screenshot2020-01-30at10_10_12.thumb.png.179b0f8a8f830b7dda6ecdfaf808643e.png

10 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

A much better analagy would be being a football supporter of a team doing well- unfortunately my three lads have followed my lead and support Leeds United. 

I really liked the team of the early 2000s

Woodgate, Rio, Robinson, Dacourt, Batty, Viduka, Smith Kewell

I even remember Burns lol who was terrible

Ian Harte and his kiss celebration with Gary Kelly lol 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

I have often wondered what little piece of DNA is present in us as collectors of bits of metal?

The gene that forces us to go the extra mile to try to complete the set is especially cruel.

I collect many sets of coins but I have managed to get the better of the "set" gene, to the relief of my poor wallet.

I put this down to simply being a collector of gold sovereigns. I have no chance of completing the full set with my meagre means and tbh, now, it doesn't bother me at all. I have finally conquered the "must have the full set" gene:)

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

4 minutes ago, Kman said:

I really liked the team of the early 2000s

Woodgate, Rio, Robinson, Dacourt, Batty, Viduka, Smith Kewell

I even remember Burns lol who was terrible

Ian Harte and his kiss celebration with Gary Kelly lol 

Yes- good times despite the Chairman and the manager spending beyond the means of the club it was fantastic whilst it lasted.

Unfortunately for my lads, this period was their first taste of football supporting, I didn't pressurise them to support my team- and they have seen some rotten times when it imploded.

It looks like the club has turned a corner and well governed and what a fantastic down to earth manager Bielsa is- a true football man.

The Glory Days might well be back on the horizon.  

Added 0 minutes later...
Just now, sovereignsteve said:

I too am a long suffering lifelong LUFC supporter:rolleyes:

Marching On Together 😉

Or MOT as the kids now say...

21 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Don't count on it, I am resigned to us falling at the final hurdle again.

Ha! 

I do hope not...my eldest lad is football mad- he gave up his job to go to University to blow a fair bit of cash on a football degree,  he's in his last year, not sure of its actual title- I thought it was madness, but he's happy....

I digress. He did initially want to eventually get into Coaching- but has drifted into Football Analysis- his view, given his analysis of the matches Leeds have played this season (he gets access to all filmed matches almost worldwide) is that we might well do it...just!

To cushion the blow if we don't, he got a good price several weeks ago for us to finish between 3rd and 6th.! 

He is funny- he is currently working for a Championship club (not Leeds), doing Analysis- he got the job in December.   He previously worked at a League 2 club- funny though, he turned down an unpaid work placement with the 'scummers'- I think there is little doubt that he is a true Leeds fan.

I do think however, his passion for Leeds should only go so far.  Work is work- and Leeds have many 'enemies'!   

1 hour ago, richatthecroft said:

I get your point completely here, collectors of the SOTD are absolutely over the proverbial barrel.  

A £300 price hike is an inordinate re-rate of prices on the last releases.

A much better analagy would be being a football supporter of a team doing well- unfortunately my three lads have followed my lead and support Leeds United.  They have terrible trouble getting tickets to see them play- all work hard, so cannot commit to a season ticket, but just to see occasional matches, they have to buy a 'membership' each year which costs £60, just for the privilege of a 'chance' of buying high priced tickets, and at the ground they are fleeced for beer, pies & merchandise.  My eldest travels to see England play football- what a scam this is- but another story. I believe Arsenal charge four figure sums for a season ticket- and there's a wait list to buy.

I stopped going to watch Leeds United regularly long ago due to the prices and frankly, being put over a barrel.

That's such a shame reading that. An even greater shame is your club not being back amongst the elite where it belongs. I always look out for Leeds' results and sincerely hope they get off this crazy rollercoaster ride and take their rightful place. 

Yours sincerely

An armchair Evertonian living in Scotland.

2 minutes ago, GoodAsGold said:

That's such a shame reading that. An even greater shame is your club not being back amongst the elite where it belongs. I always look out for Leeds' results and sincerely hope they get off this crazy rollercoaster ride and take their rightful place. 

Yours sincerely

An armchair Evertonian living in Scotland.

Thanks for your comment.

I do believe that Everton are a club that Leeds fans have some respect for, as opposed to your near neighbours!

To get this thread back on track (sorry for the football interlude), I contacted the RM today to complain about the condition of the Una and the Lion Silver I received and asked for details  about the SOTD Sovereign:

Its a Sovereign, and definitely not a Piedfort, its of Matte finish with the Portcullis Mint Mark and its £800 

6 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

To get this thread back on track (sorry for the football interlude), I contacted the RM today to complain about the condition of the Una and the Lion Silver I received and asked for details  about the SOTD Sovereign:

Its a Sovereign, and definitely not a Piedfort, its of Matte finish with the Portcullis Mint Mark and its £800 

Crazy. It will be interesting to see how it actually sells tomorrow morning. I shall enjoy the show from the sidelines

Archived