• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Heads up

Stu

Out of interest Steve, what would you value this 1857 at please?

11008362_1552886394977825_841358198_n.jp

11055864_1560259407566878_245017176_n.jp

You should think about grading that one and selling it in the USA ! Lovely coin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know how I feel about Sov's, and you Fella's are welcome to them :)

I just want to continue buying the odd Brit or Kangaroo for spot +3%

Give me some lunar 1 or 2 for spot +3% or maybe some Libertads

You should think about grading that one and selling it in the USA ! Lovely coin

Thanks, I was thinking it might be at least a £300 example (and hoping maybe £400) but I'm still a novice really at judging condition 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

each to their own.

Difficult to be certain Kman as photos not quite HR enough, but obverse looks aEF (shame about scratch on her neck). the reverse however could well be a gEF

Probable Sheldon grading (ignoring scratch) about 58, maybe 60 if reverse is as good as it looks.

Spink has a value of around £700 for a coin in this grade. However, this is a retail value and if you were looking to sell, a dealer would give you half if you were lucky. You could probably sell it on ebay for £400 on a good day. As NS says, slabbing would maximise it's value but I would worry about the scratch. Might be worth the £20 - £25 or so it would cost if you could get someone to send it with some of theirs (hint hint) :)

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

each to their own.

Difficult to be certain Kman as photos not quite HR enough, but obverse looks aEF (shame about scratch on her neck). the reverse however could well be a gEF

Probable Sheldon grading (ignoring scratch) about 58, maybe 60 if reverse is as good as it looks.

Spink has a value of around £700 for a coin in this grade. However, this is a retail value and if you were looking to sell, a dealer would give you half if you were lucky. You could probably sell it on ebay for £400 on a good day. As NS says, slabbing would maximise it's value but I would worry about the scratch. Might be worth the £20 - £25 or so it would cost if you could get someone to send it with some of theirs (hint hint) :)

Excellent, thanks!

It was the best example of the few I received from HGM. 

Nice to know I was probably in the right ballpark price wise and it wasn't just wishful thinking. 

I haven't got any plans to sell it & I'm not a fan of slabbing coins, so will just squirrel it away as is and enjoy looking at it from time to time. 

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Excellent, thanks!

It was the best example of the few I received from HGM.

Nice to know I was probably in the right ballpark price wise and it wasn't just wishful thinking.

I haven't got any plans to sell it & I'm not a fan of slabbing coins, so will just squirrel it away as is and enjoy looking at it from time to time.

Always happy to oblige.

Frankly , you are not the shop manager and aware of how much business I have given them over the past 6 months, that figure will remain between me and HGM, suffice to say it is no small change. Keeping the customer happy and protection future profits makes good business sense, even if the customer is being a pain in the a#*e

You seem to forget, that if you never ever bought another item from HGM it wouldn't bother them financially one little bit. As I've said before about the retailers manta, "Customer is always right, but only if it is a customer you want to keep". There are plenty more people who will buy the coins that you don't.  ;)

There are plenty more people who will buy the coins that you don't.  ;)

Only thing is, the age we live in now it's very easy to share your displeasure online

The last thing you want as a company its "Blah blah  scammed me! they sent me damaged goods and refused to refund me!" showing up when people search for your business

A good reputation is easier kept than recovered

There is an easy way to prevent any future disappointment and complaints.  What they need to do is to raise the premium of the box sets to 10% and only include the mintiest of minty sets.  Any box sets which are not super minty should be split and thrown in with the normal bullion.  The loses for the split sets can then be off set against the higher premium on the super minty sets. Problem solved. :)

There is an easy way to prevent any future disappointment and complaints.  What they need to do is to raise the premium of the box sets to 10% and only include the mintiest of minty sets.  Any box sets which are not super minty should be split and thrown in with the normal bullion.  The loses for the split sets can then be off set against the higher premium on the super minty sets. Problem solved. :)

perhaps I'll suggest this to them next time I speak to them.

perhaps I'll suggest this to them next time I speak to them.

Suggesting they raise their prices?  I've now heard it all...  They are a bullion dealer, not a coin-dealer - they won't be spending time grading and checking coins for details that some 'collectors' are going to cry about.

Suggesting they raise their prices?  I've now heard it all...  They are a bullion dealer, not a coin-dealer - they won't be spending time grading and checking coins for details that some 'collectors' are going to cry about.

They only sell 3 types of box sets which they rarely get in.  Wouldn't take them long to check 4-5 coins for signs of handling and would stop future complaints. Not only that, saves having multiple people asking about the quality of the sets whenever they come in.  The answer would always be "mint" for the sets listed.

Or they could make it even more simple by ditching the box sets.  Raise the premium to 4% on the double sovereign, 1/10th, 1/4 and even the 1/2 Britannias.  They'd lose 1% or so overall on those sets but it would eliminate all complaints about minty fresh proofs.  Everything would be pure bullion only.

They're already quite accommodating when you phone up.  They'll check condition and dates if asked even though it's just bullion so this just simplifies things for everyone.

I bought a box set last year and washed the coins.  As far as I was concerned, I'd just purchased shiny bullion of a same date set and paid an extra 1-2% for the privilege.  If they were minty fresh then it would have been a bonus but at 5% over spot and around 10-15% cheaper than other dealers, I had no expectations on the quality.

If there are expectations from buying at box set at 5% over spot, then remove it from the equation and all the agro goes away.  There would be more chances for people receiving proofs and everyone loves those kind of surprises.

What they need to do is to raise the premium of the box sets to 10% and only include the mintiest of minty sets.  Any box sets which are not super minty should be split and thrown in with the normal bullion.  . :)

This would create more work for them in the long run and the majority of us who appreciate the cheap % over spot would lose out. As said before go buy from a coin dealer if you want mint, but if you want to take a punt when the worse way is you'll have bullion and best way you'll have proof/collectible coins etc then stop moaning and enjoy what hgm offer. Do you think their silly? You think they aren't aware of the internet and places like this? In actual fact I don't think we'll have too much longer with hgm's low prices. Any business is in it too make money and if they employed someone who knew what they were looking for as stock came in I wouldn't be surprised if they started asking retail for their collectible coins. The amount of stock they see, the extra revenue they could generate would probably see a healthy profit on top of what they would have got if sold at bullion prices. Then we'll all be talking about the good old days not moaning about finger prints

Are people really wanting a company to put their prices up? Are you guys actually for real?

Bugger that for a game of soldiers, if you don't like how HGM do business, it's simple, take your business elsewhere.

Last thing I need is for the cheapest bullion dealer in the UK to put their prices up, just because a few collectors are getting cold sweats over of all things, ruddy finger prints.  

jeeeze............ :rolleyes:  

If they put the prices up, then they would lose sales to atkinsons and goldline. HGM business works well because they are cheap and turnover is fast. Atkinson's are already as cheap for sovs and so is the bullion centre because of its price promise.

I like buying from HGM,they are cheap for most coins. I have been lucky sometimes but I always expect only bullion condition because that is what they are selling.

Collectors should go to coin dealers not bullion dealers if they want pristine coins, but if they are happy taking a chance bullion dealers are OK.

Stu have you tried chards ring up first and ask about condition. I bought my first coins from there years ago before the internet, tell him what you expect then he will give you a price.

If you buy sovereigns from Chards, you can expect to pay top money but you will get a coin in better condition than you expect. They do grade "conservatively" and I've had "bullion" coins from them that have been in nice collectable grades.

Stu have you tried chards ring up first and ask about condition. I bought my first coins from there years ago before the internet, tell him what you expect then he will give you a price.

If you buy sovereigns from Chards, you can expect to pay top money but you will get a coin in better condition than you expect. They do grade "conservatively" and I've had "bullion" coins from them that have been in nice collectable grades.

I concur Chards are great for collectors.

I just wish they would sort their website out.

Yes just having one would be a help, and update or remove all the out of date pages. Just too many I guess. If they had 2 sites, one just for currently available stock and the other as a repository of information that would be good.

Frankly , you are not the shop manager and aware of how much business I have given them over the past 6 months, that figure will remain between me and HGM, suffice to say it is no small change. Keeping the customer happy and protection future profits makes good business sense, even if the customer is being a pain in the a#*e

Your business is irrelevant to them - somebody else will buy what you do not.  If you could get it cheaper elsewhere, you'd be gone in a heartbeat.

Yes Chards prices are all over the place. I've contacted them before expecting prices to have increased a little but have then found they have marked prices up by a huge amount.

As for HGM, I've never used them as I always miss any deals. Some other bullion dealers won't comment on the quality of their coins and just say there is no major damage - they are bullion. Some won't even look up dates for you. I guess it's not surprising as they aren't trained or experienced enough to grade coins and don't want customers complaining about grades received.

Not wanting to restart the debate, but just to point out that I pocked up a Brit at 3% over spot at HGM, so happy with that.

Turned out to be a 2012 in very nice condition, so am happier still.

As a stacker HGM ticks all my boxes.

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

Archived