• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Prince Albert celebration sovereign!

goldmember44

21 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Just had a response from the RM who amongst other things have said the below. I think they are apologising for nothing here. The sovereign is up to their usual standard. I think I’ve been lucky with recent purchases from them!!

“Rest assured this won’t have been a returned item that was re-sold and sent to you and we do have strict quality controls in place, so I’m concerned to read that your Sovereign is not up to the usual standard.”

6 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Sorry to hear this was the case. My one arrived yesterday and to the naked eye (well my naked eye anyway) it looks fine. When I zoomed in on photos I took I could see a couple of minor black marks as has been reported here in this thread by several others. Someone could have returned it on those grounds I suppose but I'll never know. I don't know how a coin with marks or especially dents could possibly make it through QC. Boggles the mind

I've spoken to the owner of a coin company who was so shocked at the condition of the proof coins coming off the press at a private tour and the cursory 'QC' and the aggressive and arrogant response to questioning it from the guide that they were left in tears, and more senior management had to come down to defuse the situation (alas no joke).

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is SO disappointing. There is just a lack of consistency and a larger problem with accepting the issues. That is the problem for me. Nothing can ever be perfect, but you hope to get as close to perfect as possible. When things are clearly not right, it should be a simple process of noting the issue and accepting responsibility, where that is appropriate.

The whole issue with the Albert has really left me feeling like I do not trust the Royal Mint. They issued a coin for 500.00 with a 650 mintage that sold out in seconds. They then, a few months later re-advertised the coin for 550.00. They told me there were six coins and none were returns. That is itself is confusing - how could they just have found or discovered six coins that they had not sold? Surely they were returns, right? Even if they were or were not, surely someone is looking at these coins before they are being sent out? 

Anyway, ranty rant rant........They then sent me a coin with marks (next to the horses hind legs and to the right of the queens face...both sides of the coin) and then responded to my complaint by stating that the coin was NOT a return and that they have strict quality assurance in place.........if they have quality assurance, then I am not sure their standards are in line with PCGS or NGC grading.

I think I am just making myself more annoyed than anything. The coin is in the post. If anyone wants a marked up twice returned Albert Sovereign, then I would give the RM a call tomorrow afternoon, after 1pm, to ask if they have any in stock. 

I picked up three of the "new batch" first arrived a couple of days ago. Really poor coin with two dents and I mean dents in the field of the Reverse. Posted straight back with a letter of complaint. I expect the other two will go the same way... 

1817.co.uk | Home of Britain's finest modern gold Sovereigns

www.1817.co.uk | karl@1817.co.uk | www.facebook.com/1817SovereignCollector

I no longer buy from The Royal Mint directly for all the above reasons. My last few purchases of Royal Mint products (including an Albert Sovereign)I have bought from The Coin Connection where they QC all coins before sending out..and a proper QC as well. ALL have since  been graded as MS70 so far..they are also cheeper by at least £50 on the gold 50p’s and c£10 on sovereigns..you can use Numistackers 2% promo code as well.

Bottom line is I now collect coins from other Mints...opening a parcel from The RM is no longer a pleasurable experience..you are filled with dread that the coin you have bought is going to be a dud...and who wants that!

Strangely they do seem to get things right when they want to, never personally had any problems with Sov Proofs from the Mint, for example. I'm happy getting those from the Mint as should there be there is no problem with returns or lack of replacement stock.

On 08/01/2020 at 17:09, AndrewSL76 said:

if they have quality assurance, then I am not sure their standards are in line with PCGS or NGC grading.

They definitely don't routinely look at coins under magnification as part of the 'QC'. Whether they do if they notice something by eye I have no idea but as at least some of the staff don't even eyeball them properly I'd be very surprised if they did.

I also don't trust certain companies not to send out returns as a replacement. CPM were caught doing that on here with the first year silver proof Krugs because some of us shard CoA numbers. And as I believe Royal Mint sales are totally removed from production/stock and just see availability on screen I would include them here, as appears evident alas from some of the last few posts :(

7 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said:

I no longer buy from The Royal Mint directly for all the above reasons. My last few purchases of Royal Mint products (including an Albert Sovereign)I have bought from The Coin Connection where they QC all coins before sending out..and a proper QC as well. ALL have since  been graded as MS70 so far..they are also cheeper by at least £50 on the gold 50p’s and c£10 on sovereigns..you can use Numistackers 2% promo code as well.

You mean gold proofs I think (PF70s)? They rarely sell any gold or silver BUs I was told. All newly minted coins should be a 70 even if there are production flaws (certainly at NGC, not actually sure if PCGS if the same?). Some issues do grade very highly % wise but they always mark a few down where they can (no point in grading if 100% are 70s!) which is a separate issue really but worth mentioning I think because unless there's an obvious problem many new 69s can be resubmitted after de-slabbing for a second chance at a 70.

I'm sure this wasn't what you meant, but to be clear to others as I have seen some posts recently about CC only selling 70s, there is no guarantee there. They do carefully check over gold proofs by eye and sometimes reject quite a few, so yes you will receive a 'perfect' coin to the eye which should grade well but again they don't use magnification as NGC and PCGS do, though ironically they very likely spend longer looking over each coin than the grading companies!

Silver proofs I know they've been checking the silver 50ps lately after some issues with certain releases but I got the impression that hasn't always been the case so might be worth checking with them when ordering.

9 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Bottom line is I now collect coins from other Mints...opening a parcel from The RM is no longer a pleasurable experience..you are filled with dread that the coin you have bought is going to be a dud...and who wants that!

I have to mention that one of the Queen's beast silver proofs I got from the Coin Connection graded PF69... and that was after NCS conservation! So you never know...nobody can guarantee you a 70 at all times.

53 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

I have to mention that one of the Queen's beast silver proofs I got from the Coin Connection graded PF69... and that was after NCS conservation! So you never know...nobody can guarantee you a 70 at all times.

That's why I posted - CC do a very good QC on gold proofs imo (they are passionate about it) but I've seen it stated/suggested/implied a few times on here recently (not by @Kookaburracollector - his post was just a convenient opportunity to address the topic) that CC provide perfect coins that will always be 70s. That is not a fair expectation on them at all when they don't use magnification and even if they did grading is subject to the vagaries/inconsistencies of the grading companies on modern coins.

3 minutes ago, Stacker2020 said:

So got one of that last batch and received it a few days ago. As far as I can see it's all good. I'll send it for grading later this year.

Why will you send it for grading out of interest?

Its ironic, I have been collecting bullion and stacking, and NEVER graded a single item in my life.

I am happy Stacking2020 that you think it is worthy of a grade.

But to me I put them in one of my safes, Put them in a protective casing, and leave them. Who knows one day my children can get them graded. But honestly with Gold it doesn't matter because if its great and still protected its still protected. A Grading wont change. Silver over time will …. and the slabs used are not air tight, or water tight. So I am better with my method.

But to each there own in my view... Good luck. and I honestly wish you all the best..... PS I don't intend on flipping or selling mine on, another reason for grading.

14 hours ago, kimchi said:

Why will you send it for grading out of interest?

For me its an added level of protection. I plan on keeping it long term. I live a very rugged and rural lifestyle so any extra protection for my higher premium pieces is very welcome.

Archived