• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Monitoring Thread £ GBP only

Paul
Message added by ChrisSilver

This topic is to discuss price action in GBP, to discuss price action in $ USD, please see this topic: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19962-gold-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

📌 For general non PM chat there is the Hangout topic here: 

1 hour ago, Coverte said:

Is this still the alleged Gold price thread ................ 🤔

Gold monitoring thread

Currently occupied by gold-related issues (in some form)

Edited by JohnA1

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

50 minutes ago, treetop1280 said:

I am , ( f you James 32) in fact from now on  he is James 26 ) , he will understand why his numbers have changed 😀👍

Silver members allowed on grown up threads?

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

8 minutes ago, JohnA1 said:

Gold monitoring thread

Currently occupied by gold-related issues (in some form)

Yes John , gold question for you , if you pass gold on to a relative , and then the relative sends into , say Atkinsons ,  then they put the money in the relatives bank , does that person have to declare it as un- earned income ??? Thanks Ashley 

10 minutes ago, James32 said:

Silver members allowed on grown up threads?

F off James , Iv actually just asked John a serious question about tax evasion ,  , that’s a point , can we start a tax evasion thread ????? ( sssssch you can hear a pin drop ,  is that a tumble weed I see )??? 😀

My genius plan ????? I try to stash as much gold as I can , then pass it on the kids , , they in turn ,  keep it for a rainy day ,  I thought this  capital gains tax , thing does not apply to gold , especially sovereigns or brittania coins , as they are still classed a currency , 

6 minutes ago, treetop1280 said:

My genius plan ????? I try to stash as much gold as I can , then pass it on the kids , , they in turn ,  keep it for a rainy day ,  I thought this  capital gains tax , thing does not apply to gold , especially sovereigns or brittania coins , as they are still classed a currency , 

You do know sovereigns, britannias, silver brits etc are CGT-exempt, right?

Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

Just now, JohnA1 said:

You do know sovereigns, britannias, silver brits etc are CGT-exempt, right?

Thanks John , so you can pass them on , as many as you want , and it’s no one’s business???

Just now, treetop1280 said:

Thanks John , so you can pass them on , as many as you want , and it’s no one’s business???

Why would you try and make it anyone else's business?

Is it their business?

Just now, JohnA1 said:

Why would you try and make it anyone else's business?

Is it their business?

My point , so in years to come ,  my kids  send x amount of  sovereigns to Atkinsons , then x amount goes into there bank account , and all is well , say for talks sake , the revenue snoop into there accounts , and ask where did that x amount come from ,  they don’t have anything to worry about 

9 minutes ago, treetop1280 said:

My point , so in years to come ,  my kids  send x amount of  sovereigns to Atkinsons , then x amount goes into there bank account , and all is well , say for talks sake , the revenue snoop into there accounts , and ask where did that x amount come from ,  they don’t have anything to worry about 

Gold and silver have been legal money since (at least) Roman times.

Unlike promisory notes (currencies, bonds, stocks etc) they are nobody else's liability.

Now why on earth would I want to go and make them someone else's liabilty? Involving corporations like a bullion dealer, the Crown corporation etc means agreeing to their contractual terms. Leave aside the CGT status of selected products, that is decided by some corporate entity and followed by those who choose to engage with them.

Think about it.

It is more about how we (and our children) stand in life. 

1 minute ago, JohnA1 said:

Gold and silver have been legal money since (at least) Roman times.

Unlike promisory notes (currencies, bonds, stocks etc) they are nobody else's liability.

Now why on earth would I want to go and make them someone else's liabilty? Involving corporations like a bullion dealer, the Crown corporation etc means agreeing to their contractual terms. Leave aside the CGT status of selected products, that is decided by some corporate entity and followed by those who choose to engage with them.

Think about it.

It is more about how we (and our children) stand in life. 

John I have thought about it , I thought the whole idea of collecting gold , was to pass it in to the next generation ( John I’m thick as f ,   Zero o levels , so give me a pass , on daft question)  I’m a believer in never be afraid to ask a daft question)  so passing it on is the right thing to do , yes or no👍

5 minutes ago, treetop1280 said:

John I have thought about it , I thought the whole idea of collecting gold , was to pass it in to the next generation ( John I’m thick as f ,   Zero o levels , so give me a pass , on daft question)  I’m a believer in never be afraid to ask a daft question)  so passing it on is the right thing to do , yes or no👍

Your question is reasonable and definately not daft. I am not sure there is such a thing as a daft question anyway (leading question, maybe!)

In my opinion, passing on gold/silver to the next generation is one of the most efficient ways to transfer wealth. (for property I'd look into appropriate trust structures)

In the UK juristiction, coins like Sovereigns, Gold/Silver Britannias and the like have the added advantage of being exempt of capital gains tax. Therefore they are transparent as far as HMRC is concerned. They do not trigger a taxable event like a gold/silver bar would do. Or a non-UK gold coin.

In any case, I would still keep outsiders (corporations or individuals) away from my own private affairs, irrespective of CGT status if it is none of their business.

Others feel differently, however..

7 minutes ago, JohnA1 said:

Your question is reasonable and definately not daft. I am not sure there is such a thing as a daft question anyway (leading question, maybe!)

In my opinion, passing on gold/silver to the next generation is one of the most efficient ways to transfer wealth. (for property I'd look into appropriate trust structures)

In the UK juristiction, coins like Sovereigns, Gold/Silver Britannias and the like have the added advantage of being exempt of capital gains tax. Therefore they are transparent as far as HMRC is concerned. They do not trigger a taxable event like a gold/silver bar would do. Or a non-UK gold coin.

In any case, I would still keep outsiders (corporations or individuals) away from my own private affairs, irrespective of CGT status if it is none of their business.

Others feel differently, however..

Thanks John , one more question , ( then you can have a well earned brain break 😀) , so foreign coins you would pay capital gains on ??? 

5 minutes ago, treetop1280 said:

Thanks John , one more question , ( then you can have a well earned brain break 😀) , so foreign coins you would pay capital gains on ??? 

Foreign coins (Kruggerands etc) - if you cash them into a dealer, then they have to inform HMRC and (theoretically) it has to be treated as a potentially taxable event. The level of any potential Capital Gains Tax would depend on the HMRC terms at the time.

In general, if it has been issued by the Royal Mint and if it has a GBP value printed on it, then it is a CGT-exempt coin.

Others may correct me if there are odd exceptions.

Edited by JohnA1