• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Toga & Suit

Serendipity

i wonder where the Roman toga account comes from - i see it said an ounce of gold bought a toga and sandals but never the source. 

The technology behind clothes manufacture is very different between Roman and modern times even though both garments would be primarily handmade - so the comparison is probably not that valid.

However if we accept the comparison is sound it would suggest gold is fairly valued and not undervalued as is often stated.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

2 minutes ago, sixgun said:

i wonder where the Roman toga account comes from - i see it said an ounce of gold bought a toga and sandals but never the source. 

The technology behind clothes manufacture is very different between Roman and modern times even though both garments would be primarily handmade - so the comparison is probably not that valid.

However if we accept the comparison is sound it would suggest gold is fairly valued and not undervalued as is often stated.

Might be hard to find the receipt 😉 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

I remember this meme when I started with gold, it's thought provoking. 

I think we must consider energy expended by the many people back in the day to grow/collect/transport the constituent parts before electricity and oil (leverage on human labour) with today's mostly mechanised production chains to produce something of far higher quality; the example here demonstrates the value of gold/stored labour is linked to the cost of energy as well as economic productive work, perhaps call it the value of labour. The value of labour has fallen, said another way, production is cheaper today than it was back then. 

I think over long time frames like this, the value of gold reflects the relative difficulty or ease of access to leverage (oil/electricity, ect) in production, plus some lesser secondary effects. Gold is a unit of account, acting as a store of changing labour value reflected in its price, which is linked to the cost of production, which is linked to the cost of energy/leverage on labour. 

Gold is a store of units of production. It's the cost of production that changes and golds price reflects it?

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

Didn't they have slaves in Roman times😉

We are still slaves today - the only difference today is they have tricked us into thinking we are free.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Yes workers are a form of economic slave but cheaper than forced labour for the employer and more productive for society as a whole, because they feed and house themselves, often work harder and are compliant with no need for wasted productivity on guards. True slavery is a very low productivity wasteful form of labour on the whole, but without leverage on labour, more labour is the only way to increase productivity, hence the popularity of the system in the times of our ancestors. I am not talking about the identity politics version of slavery but the historic version, ancient Rome, Greece, China, Muslim Bulgar's, Africans, Egyptians, ect. 

Someone must work to produce, its just the way it is. 

3 hours ago, silenceissilver said:

They should consider a new marketing slogan:

ASDA - where you can get a suit for an ounce of silver

Dont get me started on Asda again 😖😓😓😓 They still haven't paid me for my unpaid work I had to do last year ! Still not been back to the store either

I think a loaf of bred might be the single best item to compare prices over centuries and even millenias. It would be quite nice to see a table with the value of a few items over the centuries, epxressed in silver and with the gold silver ratio of the time - shouldn't that tell us if gold and silver are indeed undervalued or not? There must be records of such things, I'm sure.

14 hours ago, silenceissilver said:

I think a loaf of bred might be the single best item to compare prices over centuries and even millenias. It would be quite nice to see a table with the value of a few items over the centuries, epxressed in silver and with the gold silver ratio of the time - shouldn't that tell us if gold and silver are indeed undervalued or not? There must be records of such things, I'm sure.

It's interesting the problem I think is the multiple factors in production of suits and bread, even with a simple product, for example the grain. Bread being the end product of many processes which have each developed in efficiency over the ages, all requiring far fewer people now due to the leverage machines provide to human labour. 

I think look to the cost of leverage as that has the greatest impact on production. How much does oil cost compared to gold. How cheap is electricity compared to gold. Is it going to be harder to extract oil and more expensive to produce electricity or not? If yes, then gold (everything) is cheaper today than it will be tomorrow? 

Archived