• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Buy 1 coin per time or in bulk?

Frost

I'm wondering whether you order 1 coins or bar and that's  or collect several items to save on shipping?

Do shipping costs play a huge role to you when you choose a place to buy?

Are you ready to overpay for fast but expensive shipping?

Speaking personally, I seek to have the lowest shipping costs possible - even if that means waiting a bit longer (or even several weeks longer) for my purchases.

If I have ordered and secured my coins at a price that I am happy with, then delivery time is far less important to me than keeping shipping costs to a minimum.

I am into PMs for the long term - if, however, I was buying a newly-released coin to flip straight on, then I am sure that I would feel differently and would want to get my paws on my coins ASAP...…..

I like this question a lot and am looking forward to reading all the replies. I also collect for the long term but my collection is split between collecting for retirement and collecting for the pure joy of it (i.e. there are coins that I will probably never sell).

I have recently completed a couple of orders with Silver to go and with the European Mint and have found that even with the shipping on low orders of less than 200GBP, the costs saved on not paying VAT in the UK etc. mean that the coins are overall still a lot cheaper. I have come a long way from thinking I was getting a bargain for a 17.50 1oz bullion at a local dealer. I still go to that local dealer however as he sells all the bullion at bullion rate regardless of what it is - I have picked up Pandas, some pretty nice old American Eagles and a 1997 proof Britannia from him for that solid 17.50 rate.  No complaints here.

Cheers for the opening question.

In Europe many people order coins over 3 to 9 months with GoldSilver.be and don't request immediately delivery. Continue to buy the coins required and when they have accumulated a reasonably quantity request the last order with previous stored orders shipped to save on postage costs. Hence could be buying all year round but only have to pay on postage 2 or 3 times a year.

Buy in bulk if you can, I went through a period of spending thousands on orders up to a point where I was bordering on overstretching myself so I cut down to just ordering what I needed to complete my sets and collections and the difference in how my average price went up was remarkable, I went from £13 to £16 in what seemed like no time.

1 hour ago, RacerCool said:

Generally I'll try to stack, not collect individual coins, so that means I'll buy coins in rolls or lots. And that means that I'm paying much less per coin for shipping, which is greatly appreciated. 

Yes, that's the best stacking strategy I suppose. Buying in bulk is always cheaper.

16 hours ago, Abyss said:

In Europe many people order coins over 3 to 9 months with GoldSilver.be and don't request immediately delivery. Continue to buy the coins required and when they have accumulated a reasonably quantity request the last order with previous stored orders shipped to save on postage costs. Hence could be buying all year round but only have to pay on postage 2 or 3 times a year.

If you wait for the postage for 9 months does the price remain the same as at the moment of order or can it change?

I think it also depends on the purpose of your purchase, I'd like to collect different types of silver coins, rounds, bars, so if I like something that I don't have it in my collection already and the price is okay I would buy only one of it and don't really care how much I pay on postage because I don't have any plans of selling them and making profit on them.

But I don't do the same when it comes to gold, because I buy gold purely for investment reasons and  try to buy it as cheap as possible and avoid postage cost, because gold is too expensive for me to collect and lock up a huge sum of money on gold just to look at it and feel good about it, I do feel great about it when I look at my spread sheet and see how much gold I have in weight, now a lot of people do the exact same thing with silver in which case it makes a lot more sense to buy loads in one go and avoid postage cost because in time you'll end up paying so much on postage and that reduces any possible profit in the future when the time comes to sell them.

Frost.

I bought 5 TD silver rounds for just over $24 cdn per round yesterday and the shipping was free on orders over $100.

I looked around and I found it to be the cheapest overall price per oz. 

I would love to be able to buy it at an oz at a time it would be much easier for me to save. I don't want to pay a ton over spot shipped so that would hold me back 

it would be nice to have an oz or two purchased automatically every pay day and shipped or deposited in a vault

8 hours ago, Kevn said:

Frost.

I bought 5 TD silver rounds for just over $24 cdn per round yesterday and the shipping was free on orders over $100.

I looked around and I found it to be the cheapest overall price per oz. 

I would love to be able to buy it at an oz at a time it would be much easier for me to save. I don't want to pay a ton over spot shipped so that would hold me back 

it would be nice to have an oz or two purchased automatically every pay day and shipped or deposited in a vault

where did you buy it from?

On 02/04/2019 at 17:55, Abyss said:

Had no idea GS offered this service. My bank manager will be furious with you Good Sir 😄

On 03/04/2019 at 10:54, Frost said:

If you wait for the postage for 9 months does the price remain the same as at the moment of order or can it change?

Regardless when you choose for items shipped once agreed to purchase the items and have made payment the price is in essence fixed regardless spot price goes up or down or any premium appreciation/depreciation.

I was buying 10 Oz per week then I decided to buy 1 months worth 40 ounces on credit card (interest free) and pay the credit card off weekly then repeat, improves my credit score it cost me nothing in interest and I'm saving on 3 lots of shipping costs meaning over £40 worth of silver extra

Archived