• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

A part of my collection: to grade or not?

Thomas78

Hello guys, these are a few of the coins in my collection. I'm handing over about 50 coins to get graded but am still doubting wether to include these.  They do look stunning in their original casings, but it does make them vulnerable to damage.  Next to that some complete semi numismatics: i am really in two minds about these too.  So have a look please and tell me what you would do...

38728029_2085687808131608_43695154728534016_n.jpg

48365358_2265233390177048_6673252376134025216_n.jpg

48365004_210141256588291_2745056784493314048_n.jpg

48355011_206335830248174_3354651268160159744_n.jpg

48035083_527588167722240_6263093169848582144_n.jpg

48379925_2265490730151314_103478921940434944_n.jpg

49845101_2303377059696014_4243696145378836480_n.jpg

Your coin, your choice/dime. Personally, I would NOT send any of my coins for TPG slabbing. Primary reason is I worry they would get lost or damaged while in someone else's possession. Whatever few slabbed coins I have in my collection were acquired that way. Your modern coins will be fine in their OEM lucite holders. The Victoria jubilee, old head and Eddie 7 sets do not appear to be proof sets. Unless you know their provenance, they could just be mint/circulation coins assembled outside the mint and put in an OEM mint box. Just my 2 pence opinion. 

2 minutes ago, trozau said:

Your coin, your choice/dime. Personally, I would NOT send any of my coins for TPG slabbing. Primary reason is I worry they would get lost or damaged while in someone else's possession. Whatever few slabbed coins I have in my collection were acquired that way. Your modern coins will be fine in their OEM lucite holders. The Victoria jubilee, old head and Eddie 7 sets do not appear to be proof sets. Unless you know their provenance, they could just be mint/circulation coins assembled outside the mint and put in an OEM mint box. Just my 2 pence opinion. 

Thanks, the edward set is the matt proof, silver coins are indeed proofs, but the gold coins are not proofs in the victorian ones.  I do know their provenance and was aware of it when i bought them.   But im a sucker for orignal cases 😜

Nearly everyone here is more experienced than me with grading but here are my views,  

1 Look and NGC holders from 20/30 years if you think they look dated that’s what yours will look like in 30 years

2 without generalising too much it will probably be old codgers that would buy and they aren’t so keen on grading 

3 if you grade them to keep in good condition shouldn’t matter with this age coin

4 look how beautiful they are in the presentation you would loose that graded

5 get a bad grade on one coin in the set could knock value

6 they are your coins so do what you think best, they can always be broken free

7 imagine what poor old princess do would think if she saw her self looking like that, I’d sell for scrap and rid the world of it!!!!

British numismatic coins are better off left as original ast hey came, take your 1902 set as an example, been in that box 117 years and still look great. Some that grade are grading for a higher reward eventually, but numismatic coin do rise in value without being surrounded in plastic. The Clare Balding you can throw in as much plastic as you want, it won’t change how ugly it is 😁💃🏽

2 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

British numismatic coins are better off left as original ast hey came, take your 1902 set as an example, been in that box 117 years and still look great. Some that grade are grading for a higher reward eventually, but numismatic coin do rise in value without being surrounded in plastic. The Clare Balding you can throw in as much plastic as you want, it won’t change how ugly it is 😁💃🏽

:D Luckily beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

Is Princess Di meant to have a massive shiner?  Do you think NCS could do anything about it?

As for the rest do they fit in with why you are grading coins or not?  Personally I would not grade the silver and would not want to split the sets up.  I might grade the 1989 set - I imagine you may get some good added value if they grade well.

29 minutes ago, daz said:

No advice on grading I'm afraid , but it's a cracking collection apart from Clare balding !

Will people stop calling her Clare Balding.. I'm really never going to get that out of my mind when I look at her :D

If these coins were mine, I would grade all the 1oz Beasts- and when they reach their individual optimum prices- sell them on and buy some nice rare historic coins. These bullion coins appear to be doing much better than their Proof counterparts.

The 1/4 Proof Beasts are begging to be displayed in one of @Alun‘s boxes. I would move on the 1/4 Gold Bullion Beasts following same criteria as the 1oz Beasts above. 

The Silver Beasts will spot whatever method of storage/slabbing you choose (but hopefully not). 

The remainder I would keep in their presentation cases, they are fabulous just as they are, the Gold Lunar’s  would look fantastic in a nice wooden box. 

Not sure about Diana- but personally I’d trade up to a beautiful Gold Goddess of Liberty every day of the week. 

The sets look so nice as they originally were but I’d want protection for the higher value coins so can see it both ways. Personal preference I suppose.

If you only want slab for protection and not bothered about grade then there are cheaper DIY slabs you can get 

Slightly off topic but just for viewing pleasure- show your already graded 1911 set 😁

1 hour ago, Elements said:

The sets look so nice as they originally were but I’d want protection for the higher value coins so can see it both ways. Personal preference I suppose.

If you only want slab for protection and not bothered about grade then there are cheaper DIY slabs you can get 

Slightly off topic but just for viewing pleasure- show your already graded 1911 set 😁

I would prefer them in teh box but have never come across them...

51378954_2329868677046852_194960905006481408_n.jpg

Just now, Seasider said:

Now that could grate - 3 PCGS and one NGC.  If ever there was a reason to cross grade.😀

I know :) but if ever i find a box and the silver ones unslabbed, i might just break these open ... 😮

3 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I suspect the case alone may be a rarity.  This place has one but it looks awfully expensive for a case with no coins.

https://www.gbclassiccoins.co.uk/shop/george-v/1911-george-v-original-long-proof-set-case-no-coins/

Thanks. But first the silver ones :) But if there is no other option i might be tempted to pay this  :)

8 hours ago, Thomas78 said:

I know :) but if ever i find a box and the silver ones unslabbed, i might just break these open ... 😮

Britsh coins for sale and wanted on facebook is the group for silver. Late last year there was a very nice set

FCACB1DC-4725-48A8-A287-92F05529250A.png

A1DF10DE-A33B-43A0-8881-5576C15AC75C.png

3 hours ago, Elements said:

Britsh coins for sale and wanted on facebook is the group for silver. Late last year there was a very nice set

FCACB1DC-4725-48A8-A287-92F05529250A.png

A1DF10DE-A33B-43A0-8881-5576C15AC75C.png

I do like how these 1911 silver proofs tone, something about the velvet that gives them a nice blue toning

I believe that a lot of the 1989 sovereign sets have been broken up, possibly slabbed and sold off as individual coins over the years. You don't need me to tell you there's demand for that special design.  I think when you open the presentation box and see all 4 coins displayed within there's a certain wow factor that the 4 individually slabbed coins cannot match (even in the unlikely event they all achieved 70 gradings).  30 years along the line since they were issued, 1989 complete box sets such as yours and mine are becoming fewer and fewer (apparently).  Ultimately it's your choice but it's original Mint packaging so far as I'm concerned, along with others who've responded. Great collection friend.

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

Archived