• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New to the stack....Many thanks to DannyBoy

coppernut

Hello all,

My name is andy

From London and totaly new to stacking.

I hope to begin stacking silver for the silver value and not the  numismatic value of coins, straight away ?

I would welcome any advise from other members on the do's & dont's, what is a good buy and what to stay away from?

I would like to thank DannyBoy for getting me here..

Cheers Dan

I would like to thank DannyBoy for getting me here..

Danny also recruited me..

He told me I was the only one, I felt special.. and now this  :(

But anywho, hello, welcome and enjoy  :D

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Welcome Andy, I would agree that to start with forget numismatic coins and work on building a core stack, add some odd bits you like but try and add weight.  Without knowing the exact reasons why you are starting to buy silver its hard to give a exact response but here goes.

Do..

Shop around for the best deal

Research What suits your needs 

Use well known bullion company's and the forum sponsors here.

Don't..

Use eBay till you have a bit of experience. 

buy anything that is "german silver" or "100 mills" (plated junk) 

Buy more than you can afford to sit on long term. 

Good luck, enjoy the forums and welcome to the addictive world of PMs :)

Welcome to the forum Andy, glad you managed to make it over.

One bit of advice I'd give is to buy what you "like". Stacking can be very boring if you don't like what you are buying, even if it does cost an extra couple of pence per ounce.

Oh, and try not to listen to the "experts" too much. They have no more idea on silver price than you or I in my opinion.

Dan

Stacker since 2013

Welcome Andy

Each to their own, but I am with you in stacking for value,

All I would say is, don't rule out semi-numismatic over generic. It is widely recognised, and I would imagine more highly regarded in most resale situations. Just a matter of avoiding the ones with higher premiums.

Keep your £ per oz low,and enjoy.

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

weclome on board coppernut.

my advice would be simply read, read and read some more. lots of info on this board, but also the bullion buying guides most dealers offer. read them all.

also learn about the history of money, what actual money is and how it is created. with doing the above two at least gets your head into the right frame of mind as to WHY it is wise to be investing in PMs. im still reading and listening after 4years plus and learning.

happy stacking :)

Welcome to the mad house.

I am also a stacker - I did go through a momentary glitch where I started to collect, but then realised one day that I had just purchased an ounce of silver for the equivalent of 5 ounces of bullion!!! So I shocked myself back to stacking.

Buy the cheapest, but make sure you like it. I am going for things like Mexican Libertads, Noah's Ark, Philharmonics, etc. Maples are good but I am sick of them milk spotting - which should be of no consideration to a stacker, silver is silver and with or without milk spots maples will always be worth spot price plus a little bit on top. Same with the birds of prey from RCM. So luckily there is a lot of low premium bullion about. Danny is right - it is worth paying a few pence extra per coin to have some variety. Cheap of not, I would hate to have hundreds of ounces of all the same coin!

Danny also recruited me..

He told me I was the only one, I felt special.. and now this  :(

But anywho, hello, welcome and enjoy  :D

Kman, yeah but he told me i was really special haha

Welcome Andy, I would agree that to start with forget numismatic coins and work on building a core stack, add some odd bits you like but try and add weight.  Without knowing the exact reasons why you are starting to buy silver its hard to give a exact response but here goes.

Do..

Shop around for the best deal

Research What suits your needs 

Use well known bullion company's and the forum sponsors here.

Don't..

Use eBay till you have a bit of experience. 

buy anything that is "german silver" or "100 mills" (plated junk) 

Buy more than you can afford to sit on long term. 

Good luck, enjoy the forums and welcome to the addictive world of PMs :)

Im addicted, and i havent started yet, but really soon.

Hi And welcome.

And don't forget when you do order some coins get an extra one to touch, hold and feel. :)

oh yeah ive got to get me some of that touchy feelly stuff..

Many thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and advice.

cheers all..

Welcome Andy, at least when things go wrong, you can blame Danny........... :D

The rest of us only have ourselves to blame for getting into the weird and wonderful world of stacking precious metals

Oh DannyBoy is going to have to answer to my other half if it all goes 'wonky'.......

Still, at least i will be in the clear :D

Wellllllllllllllllllllcome!

Buy some American silver eagles as welllllllllllllllllllllll.

If i started on coins, i feel i could get carried away?

Cheers for the welcome

Oh DannyBoy is going to have to answer to my other half if it all goes 'wonky'.......

Still, at least i will be in the clear :D

I don't even have to answer to my wife (she doesn't know I stack) so I'm certainly not answering to yours!!! Ha ha

Stacker since 2013

Any purchases yet Andy? I'm intrigued to see what you go for.

No not yet mate?

but.... i was out  & about sunday and spied a fella who had book loads of coins,

he had a few bits of silver there, but i didnt have a clue what i was looking at..

they could have been fake for all i know.??

What am i going to go for....?

well, as much as i said im going for 'bars'

i think i am definitely going to pick some coins up on the way...

A nice Libertad or Brittania i think?

What do you think mate?

Hi coppernut, depending on how much you intend to order at once will most likely determine where to buy from for one or two coins Atkinsons are ok although if you can stretch to five coins you will get a better discount, a lot also depends on why you are stacking, if you could elaborate on what your thoughts are and reasons for buying silver you will probably get a lot of good ideas from the people on this forum, Danny is definitely mor of a collector when it comes down to it, and there is nothing wrong with that, others like myself buy for more of an alternative way of savings .I would also add as i think someone else said buy from a reputable bullion dealer at first if as you said yourself you do not know what you are looking at,less chance of buying a fake off ebay that way.

Hi coppernut, depending on how much you intend to order at once will most likely determine where to buy from for one or two coins Atkinsons are ok although if you can stretch to five coins you will get a better discount, a lot also depends on why you are stacking, if you could elaborate on what your thoughts are and reasons for buying silver you will probably get a lot of good ideas from the people on this forum, Danny is definitely mor of a collector when it comes down to it, and there is nothing wrong with that, others like myself buy for more of an alternative way of savings .I would also add as i think someone else said buy from a reputable bullion dealer at first if as you said yourself you do not know what you are looking at,less chance of buying a fake off ebay that way.

Hello Jazz,

Thanks for the reply mate.

When i first joined about a week ago i was intending to stack bars purely for the silver value.

However this has since changed after a lot of reading and some advice from others.

I am now going to be getting some coins as well.

The reason i will be putting some money in PM's is i feel at some point

a financial disaster will happen, but i want to have something physical for my family.

I dont want them to be caught out.

• Founder & Administrator

Welcome to the silver forum coppernut.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Archived