• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Just starting

Hillbilly Sheep

Hi,

I'm brand new to this. I've never bought silver before but over the last day or two I've been looking at as much as I can and I'm ready to start !

I won't be a big buyer, probably only £50 a month, enough for a couple of 1oz coins or bars.

Took a bit of convincing the wife that this is where we should put our money !

Looking to make my first purchase soon !!

I'l keep you updated as my collection grows !

Cheers

My first question(s).

I'll be buying mainly 1oz coins, and I was wondering about certificates of authentication.

Obviously I can trust the trusted online retailers that sell with certs., but what about retailers that don't offer certs. (do all trusted sellers have certs.)?  and even if they do, how do I know that the cert. is authentic ?

I saw a cert on a website for a 1oz 2014 Britannia and I thought that I could make one of them myself  !!  how do I know it's genuine ?   How necessary are certs when reselling ?  

sorry if this is a daft question or in the wrong section.

Hi & welcome HBS, re the cert question as a collector myself they are nice to have, but unless it is an extremely rare coin they make little difference when you come to sell.

The way I look at it is, if a coin I needed for my collection came up I would buy it with or without a cert.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Advice if just starting,

1) wait a month before buying anything because your mind will change 10 times on what is your favourite coin.

2)Ask questions because someone on here will most probably know the answers,

3)buy from knows sources because nothing worse that that nagging in mind is it real, got 3/4 very good sellers on here.

4) kick that £50 in touch because when you have first coin in hand you will be soooo tempted to buy more,

5) if you don't were gloves handling the coins don't take a photo of it because some people get touchy about it!!!!!

6) buy what you think is best because it's your money

Welcome Billy

My advice would be to stick to coins from the official mints which are widely recognised.

Also VAT is a killer, so many of us buy from Germany.

Therefore to avoid running up big postage charges you might want to put the money aside and make 2 or 3 purchases a year?

Junk silver, and old coinage is another option, and I am sure wiser people than me will be along to help you with that.

BB

Don't count the stack, make the stack count.

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

Thanks guys, lots of good advice !

I know what my first coin will be, a 2014 Britannia. Only because it'll be 2014 that I started collecting.  

I have my eye on lots of others for future purchases, bars too !!

The problem will be sticking to my monthly budget.

Maybe if I cut back on some bottles of wine I can get more coins, and get healthier too !!!

my first bit of a advice for a new stacker - is read, watch, listen & research 

lots of stuff to take on board

Get your head and mind fully engaged with WHY you are stacking.

Next, certificates of authenticity are pretty much worthless, i should know i have a certificate on my wall that says i i am allowed to have such an opinion about certificates.

Buy from trusted, tried and tested UK dealers with long reputation & good standing.  Favorites here are in no particular order, Atkinsons Bullion, Hatton Garden Metals, Goldline (baird & co), bullionrock, chards. bullionbypost (but a tad expensive)

Cheapest by far is German site silver-to-go, which is also a forum sponsor :)

Also several reliable & honest private sellers on here, feedback scores on forum show this.

Hi and welcome

I'd suggest you take your time to decide after reading everyones advice and set yourself  a plan of attack

My suggestions would be..

Make a plan

Start a spreadsheet (just download a simple one..lots around) and record your full cost per ounce (coin price and postage) 

Decide your monthly budget

Set your goal

And if your not sure, ask ,ask ,ask

But the main thing is to enjoy what your doing

just remember.. postage and vat are killers on your investment so try and limit both

As for general stuff.. you'll find lots of different people on the site.. stackers, collectors or both. Some with small budgets and some with large budget

I personally am a stacker/collector.. I stack britannia's and i collect coins i like.. Mainly kooks and the lunar series

I think everyones advice on the site would be.. Buy what you like and what you enjoy

Have fun :)

• Founder & Administrator

Welcome to the forum, a lot of good information here :)

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Archived