• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

WHY I THINK/HOPE SILVER WILL BECOME MORE VALUABLE/SOUGHT AFTER IN COMING YEARS

SILVERFINGER

Very interesting link to 101 uses for silver in everyday life, hopefully making it more sought after as time goes on.

http://www.silvercoins.com/uses-of-silver/

And missing from this list is this monster use, up to 16kg's of silver used in one Tomahawk cruise missile, we need a long war with the US firing a load of these.

https://goldsilverbitcoin.com/251-million-tomahawk-missile-contract-will-require-silver/

Well they are all current uses so unless you think such uses will rise exponentially....

Also can't agree with wishing the US to kill tens of thousands of people just so I make a bit of money on my silver stack. 

2 minutes ago, Finbinfin said:

Well they are all current uses so unless you think such uses will rise exponentially....

Also can't agree with wishing the US to kill tens of thousands of people just so I make a bit of money on my silver stack. 

It was a hypothetical joke comment, I forgot humour is dead now ;)

24 minutes ago, ravenshunter said:

It's not dead it's just taking a break......

remarkable bird id,nit squire? lovely plumage .....

they should make a run of British comedy classics silver coins. 

i would buy them, you couldn,t  help but chuckle everytime you looked at them?

The companies using silver for whatever reason cannot afford for the commodity to skyrocket even though companies are making more and more money each year they'll only let it go up to a certain price...whatever price that is I'm not sure I guess it's one of those things which is too valuable to skyrocket if you will.

I'm sure most big companies could afford the expense but what about the smaller companies? Solar panels and 3D printing are still relatively new what were to happen if silver was to surge within the next few years to the affected companies?

The world is changing from combustion engines to battery powered, the current battery technology is poor to say the least, new battery technology is being worked on and due to huge current requirements maximizing voltage drop may be a major  issue and silver can be used, if silver is going to be used in the new batteries in anyway then the price will shoot up.

New batteries aside, all it will take is a new use for silver that has not been considered and the availability of silver will be reduced increasing prices, I beleive Silver has been uderpriced for a long time,  the question is at what price would you sell up?

7 minutes ago, Bagenz said:

The world is changing from combustion engines to battery powered, the current battery technology is poor to say the least, new battery technology is being worked on and due to huge current requirements maximizing voltage drop may be a major  issue and silver can be used, if silver is going to be used in the new batteries in anyway then the price will shoot up.

New batteries aside, all it will take is a new use for silver that has not been considered and the availability of silver will be reduced increasing prices, I beleive Silver has been uderpriced for a long time,  the question is at what price would you sell up?

If it was deemed that there were insufficient supplies to provide new/growing sectors which use or rely on silver that would cause the price to shoot up but then they would increase the rate of supplies but for the foreseeable future I don't see prices shooting up a dead cat bounce maybe before the US and UK raise rates then get slammed down again.

9 hours ago, SILVERFINGER said:

It could end up that silver becomes the new gold, and copper becomes the new silver price wise, I have read of the term 'industrial silver' , what is this, or does it just mean fine 999 grade.

Industrial silver refers to the usage, where the metal is used in industrial product or process other than jewellery or bullion and coins. 

IMO the biggest fundamental change may come from supply side shortage rather than demand side. Apparently the world's largest silver producer Mexico only has 5 years of mineable silver left. Not sure how much faith I place in these reports, but worth not entirely discounting.

Take any info you get with a pinch of salt. If indeed it's true that'll probably affect silver prices unless a substitute can be found. I came across a report that said demand in bullion/coins was down over 20 % but that was partly offset by demand in silverware and industrial. Thing is we probably don't help by purchasing on the secondary market which they probably can't track so of course nothing is going to be 100% accurate!

I see the following headwinds for silver over the next few years on a fundamental level.

1. Crypto currency (reduces investor demand for silver). This may not be as big a factor going forward but it has drawn money away from silver speculation in the recent past and could do so again, in particular it draws from physical investment demand driven by ETF's and vaulting services. There is also potentially a cultural change regarding crypto and the view of silvers role.   

2. Demographics (reduces demand generally for silver). Like it or not demographics are not on the side of demand for savings vehicles. Retirement is for spending. 

3. Manufacturing efficiency (reduces industrial demand due to less silver per unit). 

4. Replacements for silver in industrial applications (reduced industrial demand)

5. We are due a recession. This may or may not come to pass, the economy appears invincible due to central banks and gordon brown was early but 100% right. However - if he is still wrong then silver demand will fall generally should we see a recession. 

Fundamentally stay the hell away from silver. 

From a sentimental level, silver is a buy. If we see expected total capitulation and tears shortly, strong buy.

From a systemic level, anything real is a strong buy and silver is near the top of the list. The debt can never be repaid. That only leaves options on the table that are good for real assets. Though it is all relative.

On the rarity point, I am not so sure silver is quite as rare as is made out. Supply is primarily from base metal mining operations, so silver is mostly the 'waste' or secondary product, not much of total supply comes from primary silver mines, I think this was a quarter of total supply last year. Also the numbers also don't add up. There has not been a shortage despite silver institute figures stating that there has been a supply deficit for over a decade. Clearly there is 'enough' silver on the market - the deficit coming from undeclared sources (non declaring base metal mines?). This leaves us in a difficult position as investors in that we only have half the picture (demand) and so can't really make an accurate market prediction as to the price of the metal going forward. That leaves us with sentiment and the economic system as reasons to invest.  

If the price for an ounce of silver goes up to, for example, $300 - and a cellphone contains 2 grams of silver, then the companies will simply pass on the increased price of $20 to us customers. In most gadgets there is silver, but in really small amounts.

Silver will go up when the bank manipulation ends, and the public realize that it is real money. Might take a while. In the meantime, my collector coins go up in value every year. ??

Archived