• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

SoTD / BU sovereign 2024?

I’d assume a privy on this one.. may of course be wrong. VJ and VE had privys.  I’d guess DD80 or D80?

Both last year were distinctive enough not just matte and rim but the portrait as you said. 

Aaaahhh😉

16 hours ago, Agaupl said:

I’d assume a privy on this one.. may of course be wrong. VJ and VE had privys.  I’d guess DD80 or D80?

Both last year were distinctive enough not just matte and rim but the portrait as you said. 

If a coin needs a privy to mark its uniqueness, it’s almost a certainty it’s grasping.

That especially goes for the Sovereign.

The best SotD Sovereigns (imo) are the ones without any of that jazz.

25 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

If a coin needs a privy to mark its uniqueness, it’s almost a certainty it’s grasping.

That especially goes for the Sovereign.

The best SotD Sovereigns (imo) are the ones without any of that jazz.

I think initially they were used to distinguish a second SOTD from earlier one in the same year. However in 2019/21 they became more common.

3 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

The privy marks are so small they don't really add anything for me.   The matt finish is nice what would blow the doors off with SOTD for the next few years if they did them as shield backs.  1000 per year and the only option for a shield back?  

Now that really would be special (except I’d then be fighting others for them)

What has really got me with these, is that when they want to charge an additional £100 they can guarantee you an MS70 straight off the bat, however every other "pristine " Proof/BU, MS coin coming from them is a lottery.

How is it that they can send a full batch away to come back as all MS70's.

Surely this proves the point that they can if they want, they won't, so they don't.

There is also now the possibility that some come back MS69,68,67,66.....these are then cracked and boxed and sold at a reasonable price of £850. never to see a slab again.          

Not sure if that's just one dealer or if it is a Royal Mint decision.

Don't think RM have done it like this before for a SOTD so that'll be a new departure. If it is then as you say it's worrying as it means the likelihood of getting a less than perfect coin in an 'ordinary' box is increased sharply.

15 minutes ago, Wampum said:

What has really got me with these, is that when they want to charge an additional £100 they can guarantee you an MS70 straight off the bat, however every other "pristine " Proof/BU, MS coin coming from them is a lottery.

How is it that they can send a full batch away to come back as all MS70's.

Surely this proves the point that they can if they want, they won't, so they don't.

There is also now the possibility that some come back MS69,68,67,66.....these are then cracked and boxed and sold at a reasonable price of £850. never to see a slab again.          

14 hours ago, Olivard said:

Not sure if that's just one dealer or if it is a Royal Mint decision.

Don't think RM have done it like this before for a SOTD so that'll be a new departure. If it is then as you say it's worrying as it means the likelihood of getting a less than perfect coin in an 'ordinary' box is increased sharply.

That's true, have seen a few things offered up in slabs, from the mint, not sure if they have done it as an option before.

PCGS used to offer a service where you could send a quantity of the same coin to them, anything that was a 70 got slabbed anything that wasn't got returned un-slabbed, I also remember you could state the grade ie 69 and 70 or just the 70's.

That was years ago, out of touch now with the whole slabbing process, and don't know if NGC ever offered this service.        

23 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

The privy marks are so small they don't really add anything for me.   The matt finish is nice what would blow the doors off with SOTD for the next few years if they did them as shield backs.  1000 per year and the only option for a shield back?  

Next year marks the 200th anniversary from the first shield back sovereign. Now THAT is a very special occasion indeed to be properly celebrated, be that with a special proof, or (but my fear is AND) a special SOTD

5 hours ago, refero said:

Next year marks the 200th anniversary from the first shield back sovereign. Now THAT is a very special occasion indeed to be properly celebrated, be that with a special proof, or (but my fear is AND) a special SOTD

You raise an interesting topic for speculation.

If they do one they're bound to do the SOTD if they know from the archives what date it was first struck.

But will they do any? Special date for sovereign collectors but not significant like 2017.

There again RM could see another one off reverse as a money spinner. 

We'll all have to watch the Privy Council news ...

14 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

The Queue-it page is up.

It looks as if RM are launching all their D-Day products today.  I'm 1166 in the queue.

4 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

1000 sotd. 
bit higher than i was hoping for 😥

Yep, too high for me to pick up on release. Hopefully grab it further down the line. Enjoy your purchases 👍🏼

4 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

I’m surprised they went that high tbh. 

I was guessing 800 which would’ve been more reasonable and also tie in to the 80th anniversary. 🙂

By my recollection, 1000 is a “first” in terms of mintage for an SotD. 

It’s higher than many but also lower than many.