• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

SoTD / BU sovereign 2024?

Mid-year is usually when the £5 BU and the piedfort are released; but they had stopped the piedfort for a couple years (2020 and 2021).

I hope they don’t fabricate some reason to release an SotD this year. With current gold prices and their usual SotD premiums, I can imagine them being close to the £1000 mark. Uggh!

5 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Mid-year is usually when the £5 BU and the piedfort are released; but they had stopped the piedfort for a couple years (2020 and 2021).

I hope they don’t fabricate some reason to release an SotD this year. With current gold prices and their usual SotD premiums, I can imagine them being close to the £1000 mark. Uggh!

I can't see them missing out on the income from at least one SotD regardless of the gold price.

30 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

So what notable events/anniversaries are there this year"

No significant Royal events / anniversaries this year.

11 minutes ago, Olivard said:

D Day.  One or two private mints have jumped on this bandwagon and RM look like they are joining them.  SotD could be part of the offering.

The RM already did SotD Sovereigns for the 75th anniversaries of VE and VJ days in 2019.

It would be (imo) ridiculous to repeat it for the 80th. 🫤

21 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

No significant Royal events / anniversaries this year.

The RM already did SotD Sovereigns for the 75th anniversaries of VE and VJ days in 2019.

It would be (imo) ridiculous to repeat it for the 80th. 🫤

RM don't seem to mind appearing ridiculous as long as they can make money.

9 hours ago, Olivard said:

D Day.  One or two private mints have jumped on this bandwagon and RM look like they are joining them.  SotD could be part of the offering.

Well!  Whoever had their money on a D-Day SOTD sovereign were correct!  I've just received this from a dealer:

"On the 6th of June, the mint is releasing a Strike on the Day Sovereign
to commemorate the 80th Anniversary...

Prices:
£850 for boxed
£950 for MS70"

1 hour ago, Zhorro said:

Well!  Whoever had their money on a D-Day SOTD sovereign were correct!  I've just received this from a dealer:

Prices:
£850 for boxed
£950 for MS70"

Ffs…really? Have gone down the matte plain edge SOTD route so gotta keep going now. Maybe this one best left a few months/years and pick up cheap second hand

18 minutes ago, JamesH said:

Ffs…really? Have gone down the matte plain edge SOTD route so gotta keep going now. Maybe this one best left a few months/years and pick up cheap second hand

Depends how many are sold initially.  I am giving this one a miss.  If others do the same, maybe not many will be sold?  At £850, people are going to think very carefully before placing an order.

9 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

Depends how many are sold initially.  I am giving this one a miss.  If others do the same, maybe not many will be sold?  At £850, people are going to think very carefully before placing an order.

I was expecting a higher price given the gold price rise recently.  Think they charged £850 last year for the birthday SotD - which BBP still have 5 left and  BCC are selling at a £55 discount. Looks like RM have decided the price has reached saturation point.

1 hour ago, Zhorro said:

Prices:
£850 for boxed
£950 for MS70"

Thanks for the news.

1 hour ago, Zhorro said:

Prices:
£850 for boxed
£950 for MS70"

Quick way to lose a few hundred quid there.

Easy pass unless you collect SOTD's and you will get it cheaper a few months down the line.

I had wondered if they'd manufacture a royal event and do a 1st anniversary of the coronation sotd and use the crowned head.  However can't see that now as it would be too close to the D Day sotd..

Edited by Olivard