• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Zimbabwe announces return to gold standard

6 hours ago, pmbug said:

Zimbabwe has announced they will be replacing their existing fiat currency (ZW) with a gold standard currency (ZiG) backed by a basket of gold and USD:

https://www.pmbug.com/threads/zimbabwe-made-gold-legal-tender-and-reintroduces-gold-standard.4966/post-98582

It's a real shame that scumbag mugabe destroyed Zimbabwe. 

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

38 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Oxymoron?

I suppose we will find out.  They claim the currency will be redeemable and money supply will be constrained to growth of gold reserves.  Whether they can deliver on the promise remains to be seen.

To be optimistic, in a place where economic optimism is in such short supply for sure, the ZiG might be a good thing. Let's hope so.

They have bulky platinum, gold and diamond reserves. In fact, wave a stick at any notable mineral and Zimbabwe will probably have it.

If they can get out of a quasi-barter culture and back on to a stable price footing then maybe, finally, things might be on the up.

It's a nascent but necessary step.

Edited by OakHeart

10 hours ago, motorbikez said:

It's a real shame that scumbag mugabe destroyed Zimbabwe. 

A thug, and thief.  I remember reading that his personal wealth was estimated to be well north of £1BN in the 2000’s at the same time as citizens of Zimbabwe starved.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys

They done something similar in 2016 … it was meant to be US dollar backed but the government started over printing and the whole “stack of cards” came crashing down.

i have a mate going out there in two weeks, will ask him to bring back some of these new notes and coins. 

6 hours ago, Jvsvanman said:

... i have a mate going out there in two weeks, will ask him to bring back some of these new notes and coins. 

If I had the chance, I would be interested to buy one of the Mosi-a-Tunya gold coins.  Not sure what issues one might have taking it out of the country though.

1 hour ago, pmbug said:

If I had the chance, I would be interested to buy one of the Mosi-a-Tunya gold coins.  Not sure what issues one might have taking it out of the country though.

Yeah not sure how easy it would be to take it out , I had no issues taking the old notes though 

Apparently the new ZiG started trading.  Bank accounts were converted.  Citizens have a month or so to convert/redeem old paper ZW for ZiGs.  The project begins.