• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Found an old Sovereign advert.

20 minutes ago, Leonmarsh said:

So how much is the house worth ? Would you expect the house to rise at the same rate over the next time period 

Genuine question 

And I know/want to know for what reason?

Twenty years ago i could get a  new sovereign from my local dealer (Dorset Coin Co) for £60. (According to the BoE inflation calculator that £60 is the equivalent of £103 now) ..

That advert appears to be a complete rip-off !

2 minutes ago, Leonmarsh said:

You need to give up commenting without providing evidence @Petra it simply annoys people I am not alone 

One comment and then vanish 

Get a grip, you’re one of these people who look back 60 years ago and think everything was dirt cheap… ooh petrol 10 bob  a gallon, without thinking how much most ordinary people were paid. Oh we were obviously so better off years ago! Try getting annoyed about something actually worth getting annoyed about!🤔😮😂😂

Just now, Petra said:

Get a grip, you’re one of these people who look back 60 years ago and think everything was dirt cheap… ooh petrol 10 bob  a gallon, without thinking how much most ordinary people were paid. Oh we were obviously so better off years ago! Try getting annoyed about something actually worth getting annoyed about!🤔😮😂😂

Answer the question then 

When did you buy your house ? 

How much did you pay? 

Value now ? 

Then tell me it will go up at the same ratio over the same time period 

Not getting annoyed just don't like time wasters and your the biggest one of them all 

4 minutes ago, Leonmarsh said:

Answer the question then 

When did you buy your house ? 

How much did you pay? 

Value now ? 

Then tell me it will go up at the same ratio over the same time period 

Not getting annoyed just don't like time wasters and your the biggest one of them all 

🤔🤔😂refer you back to previous answers. As I won’t be here in 30 years or so, really not interested in ifs and maybes about something I haven’t owned in years. You should concentrate more on the here and now🤔

5 minutes ago, Petra said:

🤔🤔😂refer you back to previous answers. As I won’t be here in 30 years or so, really not interested in ifs and maybes about something I haven’t owned in years. You should concentrate more on the here and now🤔

Again avoidance as expected 

This is the issue with modern society 

A debate with no substance you are the politician of the forum without doubt 

#canihavemorepicswithnointentionofbuying

Edited by Leonmarsh

10 minutes ago, Petra said:

10s a gallon in 1963 would have been very expensive.  Less than 5/- around that time. I recall it being around 6/9 in 1969.

Didn't reach 50p until after the oil crisis in 1973.

So Petra again I will answer your question 

House bought - 1995 for £30,000

Today's price - £300,000 

X 10 over 28 years 

By your methodology your house will be worth in 2052 - £3 million (X10 over 28 years) 

So to buy a house you need to have an income of say £8-10 million a year in 28 years time looking forward to that 

There is no denying a generation were made rich by unprecedented asset growth and unsustainable pension offerings which has resulted in todays generation paying it all back and working til there 75 

Edited by Leonmarsh

24 minutes ago, Olivard said:

10s a gallon in 1963 would have been very expensive.  Less than 5/- around that time. I recall it being around 6/9 in 1969.

Didn't reach 50p until after the oil crisis in 1973.

That’s true, however, I think you know the point I was making. Eventually, my dad said if it ever got to £1 a gallon he would sell the car!🤔😁

To get back to old sovereigns - in the last quarter of 2005 Gillick sovereigns were just over £65 each.

A studio flat in my home town was approximately £65k, or 1000 sovs.

The sovs are now £400 each (approx) and the studio flat approx 150k or 375 sovs.

Quite a good increase on the sovs 🌞

Coins are not only a store of value but a store of beauty.

The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. (Joseph Campbell).

12 minutes ago, Leonmarsh said:

So Petra again I will answer your question 

House bought - 1995 for £30,000

Today's price - £300,000 

X 10 over 28 years 

By your methodology your house will be worth in 2052 - £3 million (X10 over 28 years) 

So to buy a house you need to have an income of say £8-10 million a year in 28 years time looking forward to that 

🤔😂well done enjoy your expensive home. Probably by then those figures may not seem as strange as they do now. I’m off now, things to do. Will call back later when I find another ‘stick’ to poke you with😮😁😂

1 minute ago, Aldebaran said:

To get back to old sovereigns - in the last quarter of 2005 Gillick sovereigns were just over £65 each.

A studio flat in my home town was approximately £65k, or 1000 sovs.

The sovs are now £400 each (approx) and the studio flat approx 150k or 375 sovs.

Quite a good increase on the sovs 🌞

Interesting , genuine question So you think sovs will increase at the same rate ? Or has increased in the time of the golden generation ? Unprecedented ! 

Just now, Petra said:

🤔😂well done enjoy your expensive home. Probably by then those figures may not seem as strange as they do now. I’m off now, things to do. Will call back later when I find another ‘stick’ to poke you with😮😁😂

Petra the politician 

16 hours ago, Leonmarsh said:

As my 70 year old mum sits there and quaffs on a prosecco having come back from her third cruise And £4,000 a month pension with her house paid for she then gets a letter, here is your winter fuel payment lol 🤣 to keep you warm. 

Keep her warm? She could fuel her house on the million pairs of bon marche high waisted trousers she has 

https://www.charteredbanker.com/resource_listing//the-legacy-and-responsibility-of-our-golden-generation.html

Oh dear the poor old Baby Boomer again.

I would be pleased for my mum in that position, firstly because she is obviously financially secure now and also if she needs to go into a nursing home it is likely that she will have the funds to pay for a decent place. 

It is said that the main beneficiaries of the Baby Boomer generation will be the late Generation X and the Millennials🌞

Coins are not only a store of value but a store of beauty.

The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. (Joseph Campbell).

11 minutes ago, Aldebaran said:

Oh dear the poor old Baby Boomer again.

I would be pleased for my mum in that position, firstly because she is obviously financially secure now and also if she needs to go into a nursing home it is likely that she will have the funds to pay for a decent place. 

It is said that the main beneficiaries of the Baby Boomer generation will be the late Generation X and the Millennials🌞

How did you work that out your arguement contradicts itself when she spends all her money on a care home lol 

Cmon now read before posting I will leave you to quaff and pick which care home you fancy 

1 minute ago, Leonmarsh said:

How did you work that out your arguement contradicts itself when she spends all her money on a care home lol 

Cmon now read before posting I will leave you to quaff and pick which care home you fancy 

I would do with a Vic young head with your winter fuel payment always a good choice 

House price increases don't always correlate with RPI inflation.

I was an executor and sold a £1,600 house (in 1953) for £220,000.  Based on inflation it would have been worth £60,000.  House prices are more linked to wage inflation, free disposable income, inherited wealth and demand.

Time for some photos..

Firstly, be careful -  He’s alive, and probably taking notes…..!!😊

Found these adverts in a 2002 magazine plus my £70 Sovereign. Of course then I predicted sovereigns would increase to a phenomenal £400 each - hard to believe I know!

IMG_0424.jpeg

IMG_0423.jpeg

IMG_0422.jpeg

Edited by Britannia47
Photo too red!

23 hours ago, TeaTime said:

Twenty years ago i could get a  new sovereign from my local dealer (Dorset Coin Co) for £60. (According to the BoE inflation calculator that £60 is the equivalent of £103 now) ..

That advert appears to be a complete rip-off !

My I've bought tons of stuff from Dorset Coin Co!

I thought £80 looked expensive too. I was buying half sovereigns monthly at £35 a pop back in 2001-2. Occasionally I'd splurge on a full sovereign priced in the £58-£70 bracket. Shields were expensive then at about £80-£120 a go.

Remember this was the era of Brown's bottom where the gold price was being kept very low by all the central banks selling off their gold.

Funny old times! 😁

Edited by SidS

On 13/02/2024 at 18:39, Leonmarsh said:

Personally I don't think so the golden generation have had their time that will never be repeated 

Houses bought at buttons, council houses people bought making them home owners, company stocks, shares and pensions have all lead to a very wealthy above 60 generation 

The new generation 35 plus have been blighted with many things financially and will never see the wealth of their parents unfortunately 

Why is this relevant because if a sov went up x 5 in 20 years like houses, like pensions, it would £2k a sov 

Who the hell is gonna buy it and therefore price will be subdued 

Surely they will see the wealth of their parents when their parents die ? 

I remember a similar advert in the daily telegraph weekly magazine on a Saturday which is how I got my first sovereign, £50 on an offer from the Royal Mint. I bought it with my own money and was told it would never grow in value and also made by my parents to send it back for a cash refund. How wrong they were...Good point while you might listen to your parents advice never always do it.