• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Spending Sovereigns?

If you had 10 sovs and you decided to spend them to pay for something that costs £10, how would you record that? Not that you would I just don't really get the fact that they are legal tender.

Edited by Gollop
explain

Why would you want to record a private transaction?

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

On 05/01/2024 at 21:31, Gollop said:

If you had 10 sovs and you decided to spend them to pay for something that costs £10, how would you record that?

You could use audio recorder 👍

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

If you had 10 sovs and you decided to spend them to pay for something that costs £10, how would you record that? Not that you would I just don't really get the fact that they are legal tender.

Send them to me I’ll send you an Amazon £10 gift card and you can record it anyway you want 😁

All legal tender means is that such payment can be used to settle debts. So technically if you were taken to court for a £10 debt you could offer to pay for it using ten sovereigns, and it would be legally acceptable. If they refuse, then I believe the debt would be discharged, as they've refused to take legal tender as settlement. Although I'm happy to be corrected on that.

As for payment in shops etc. they can choose what to take or refuse and legal tender doesn't come into it. So "we don't accept £50 notes" etc. is perfectly allowed.

Edited by SidS

10 hours ago, ArgentSmith said:

You could use audio recorder 👍

I prefer pen and paper.

Nothing electronic, nobody else's liability🙃

Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

It's really just an accident of history that they're still legal tender.  The Bank of England stopped circulating sovereigns in 1914 with the onset of WWI, and then after the war, the pound had inflated to the point that the melt value exceeded the face value of the coin, so they didn't introduce them back into circulation.

However, they had been in demand as bullion and the demand continued - something like half of all sovereigns ever minted were actually manufactured after they were withdrawn from circulation, but were produced as bullion due to the continuing demand.  A part of the reason folks loved the sovereign was that they were minted to very precise specifications, and guaranteed by the Bank of England.  

They are still on the books as legal tender with a face value of £1.  In theory you can take them to the Bank of England and they will redeem it for £1, although nobody in their right mind would do that as the bullion value is some hundreds of times that.  They haven't been taken off the books as legal tender, which is where they get their exemption from capital gains tax.

As for recording it, you've spent £10.  The bullion value of the sovereign is immaterial to this accounting.  However, if you have them on the books as assets, you would likely have to write that down, and possibly you could offset the loss against the gains on other investments.  You'd have to talk to a tax beanie to get the low down on what can and can't be done in this situation.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

I feel there might be funny business behind the sovereign.

At some point I discovered (by accident) that it is CGT exempt even in Greece, which has never even been member of the commonwealth. Impossible to get a straight answer as to its status as legal tender. The sov should be legally treated there as a foreign bullion coin - but it isn't

I suspect it might be linked to the Rothschilds who are behind practically all central banks, including the so-called Central Bank of Greece.

Worth digging I think..🤔

Edited by JohnA1

5 hours ago, JohnA1 said:

I feel there might be funny business behind the sovereign.

At some point I discovered (by accident) that it is CGT exempt even in Greece, which has never even been member of the commonwealth. Impossible to get a straight answer as to its status as legal tender. The sov should be legally treated there as a foreign bullion coin - but it isn't

I suspect it might be linked to the Rothschilds who are behind practically all central banks, including the so-called Central Bank of Greece.

Worth digging I think..🤔

It could be explained by the strong link by Greece to the sovereign as millions of them were pumped into Greece after the Second World War to prevent economic collapse. There's a great video by the British Numismatic Society here (skip to 17:40 mins for the Greek interest but it's worth listening to the full story):

Edited by Booky586

2 hours ago, Booky586 said:

It could be explained by the strong link by Greece to the sovereign as millions of them were pumped into Greece after the Second World War to prevent economic collapse. There's a great video by the British Numismatic Society here (skip to 17:40 mins for the Greek interest but it's worth listening to the full story):

Nice find, thanks.

2 hours ago, Booky586 said:

Part of keeping Greece on our side after ww11 when we helped beat the communists during their civil war.😮🤔