• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Graded coins

Richard82

Sometimes grading can validate a coin 

In the case of my Indian head which probably 1/4 are fake I have got some coins graded for peace of mind 

For a sovereign between 1817 and say 1900 I would say and ms grade is good if you pay the right money for it 

Of course high MS grades in say an 1817 would cost thousands and a high MS grade in a Edward sov little over spot 

In short its complicated for me 

I have bought raw coins off here photographed very well and a disaster when they arrived cleaned and so on, so again grading gives you a more accurate description 

Then I have seen coin graded the same and one of them looks like a turd so buy the coin not the grade 

Examples of two AU58 Indian one has a scratch through the headdress,was defined headrests and detail in the necklace 

THe face on the the one with the scratch is better with a more defined ribbon to the headress so coins would come out equal I suppose the the reasons above 

Grading is subjective by some coin geek in America 

Screenshot_20231014-103733.png

IMG_0762.jpeg.4d00e0ca38e21d1316f159d79be55d71.jpeg

Edited by Leonmarsh

I sent 32 1 oz gold coins in for grading and I'm just debating which ones I'll keep for the long run and which ones to potentially trade or sell.

I'll keep the low grade ones in the cases because it helps people know they getting proper gold.

1 minute ago, Richard82 said:

I sent 32 1 oz gold coins in for grading and I'm just debating which ones I'll keep for the long run and which ones to potentially trade or sell.

I'll keep the low grade ones in the cases because it helps people know they getting proper gold.

What types of coins were they? 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

4 minutes ago, Richard82 said:

@James32 sounds like you've got competition as the whale of the Forum... 

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

Bullion coins are probably not worth grading as they will only worth bullion there is limited if no nusmimatic value, they are not coins for one irrespective of the 25 quid written on them, never circulated will never be used to buy anything so not a coin 

The denomination is just to avoid CGT 

For me the passion is pursuing a coin used in daily commerce which has survived in a high grade

Edited by Leonmarsh

Just now, Richard82 said:

Most of the come back them or higher.

Only 6 lower. Happy day's 

The higher will certainly cover grading costs, the lower like you say proves authenticity. If there's any 70s then you can certainly achieve a bit of profit. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Always wondered this 

In any other walk of life if you bought something brand new and it wasnt perfect i.e a 70 people wouldn't have it 

Imagine your brand new car, it's only a 69 or a 68 we couldn't quite the panel straight but it is only a car 

All new coins should be 70 

I.e sorry about fat Dave's pube on your coin but it is only a bullion coin 

I don't give a **** Anne Jessop get fat Dave to trim his bush ya 🔔 end 

Edited by Leonmarsh

2 minutes ago, James32 said:

The higher will certainly cover grading costs, the lower like you say proves authenticity. If there's any 70s then you can certainly achieve a bit of profit. 

5 britannias 1 of each of the others ate 70 2 69 and rest 68.

Hopefully the britannias will do well in the future but who knows

3 minutes ago, pricha said:

As i only collect older sovereign's a MS 61 or above would be nice but very expensive. I'd take a AU grade but probably break it out of the slab depending on condition of the case. Some look awful scratched .

For my Victoria shilling collection id buy any decent grade within a fair price range. I've seen very high graded Shillings and they have such ugly tarnish they look dreadful. It's a balance act. I'd like a high grade but to be able to make out what it is. Not such a problem with gold . Modern coins i have no interest but i think it odd a   PF70  would be worth so much more than a PF69 , which most will turn their nose. But i wonder how many collectors could actually tell the difference between the two if they had to choose without checking the label. 

In short you can't unless there under 30 x magnification were you will see a traces of sticky finger from gene, Dave's missus 

That bit of baby gravy will cost you a few hundred quid 

Thanks Dave, you absolute first class one of a kind  knob jockey 

Edited by Leonmarsh

What you guys value these at? My dad left them to me before he died

I full sovereign Australian 1980 and 1/4 sovereign Isle of man 2008

20231104_195204.jpg

20231104_195212.jpg

20231104_194359.jpg

20231104_194412.jpg

Just now, pricha said:

That's another point i made. How many people have paid a premium for a graded coin and the plastic case has a million scratches on it ?

Mine hardly ever come out of the box for that reason.