• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

British Monarchs series. Slow burner or flop

Current prices are in the toilet for many series but especially it seems the monarch’s. 

pity as I see it as a great series.. perhaps too long, running into late 2026 seems a lot. For the first time I’m considering NOT picking up the new G2nd release.. as all other releases have tanked in silver and absolutely been destroyed in the gold. My last silver 2oz arrived with milk spots and tbh it’s put me off. 

What’s the current thoughts on the series? 

Edited by Agaupl

Aaaahhh😉

Personally I love the series as a collection, irrespective of secondary market performance. Everything except top notch older stuff is in the toilet.

This applies to other alternative investments, not just coins. It’s a buyers market in everything.

I’ll continue with the 1 oz silver to the bitter end, something to look forward to and keep me committed.

7 hours ago, Shinus73 said:

Personally I love the series as a collection, irrespective of secondary market performance. Everything except top notch older stuff is in the toilet.

This applies to other alternative investments, not just coins. It’s a buyers market in everything.

I’ll continue with the 1 oz silver to the bitter end, something to look forward to and keep me committed.

I like your outlook mate. I just wonder if they will pull the series if sales don’t improve sharpish. They dumped the lunar series quickly. With a series as large as this and with as many versions gold/ silver sizes etc I do wonder. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

I like your outlook mate. I just wonder if they will pull the series if sales don’t improve sharpish. They dumped the lunar series quickly. With a series as large as this and with as many versions gold/ silver sizes etc I do wonder. 

Maybe.. or cut mintage figures / variation s. They are well I got hr series already. 

Aaaahhh😉

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Never say never with the RM, but I think their credibility would take a huge hit if they cancelled this series. It felt like a flagship series when launched.

I think it's a great concept however the proof only stance has been odd.

If you want to do a prestige line then I think the 1/4 oz and silvers do cheapen the collection, maybe something like this should be ultra premium and 1oz gold only? 

Personally I'd like to have seen them do something different with these. Would it have been feasible to make them soverigns? I mean surely thats the coin for a monarch series? If these designs were stamped on bullion soverigns then I reckon you couldn't mint enough of these. 

If you want to preserve the soverign line then don't officially call it a soverign just use that size and 22ct. Alloy

I am not sold on this series.  

But you know what I would have bought?

A modern hammered coin - perhaps with QE2 on one side and the monarch on the other side.  Made using authentic hammered techniques, not perfect, perhaps even with a mix of gold and other metals that were found in the originals.

Not only would this be an interesting endeavour for the RM, I think it would be a massive seller.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys

4 hours ago, dicker said:

A modern hammered coin - perhaps with QE2 on one side and the monarch on the other side.  Made using authentic hammered techniques, not perfect, perhaps even with a mix of gold and other metals that were found in the originals.

Not only would this be an interesting endeavour for the RM, I think it would be a massive seller.  

Interesting idea, it would also help break the current grading obsession by having a coin that simply didn't fit in the parameters of a modern proof.

6 hours ago, dicker said:

This is the most interesting idea I’ve heard in a long time. 😎

• 4 months later...

An update.. had this series died a death.. surely it’s not become so unpopular they would cancel it? Such a shame 

Aaaahhh😉

53 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

An update.. had this series died a death.. surely it’s not become so unpopular they would cancel it? Such a shame 

No, it's just trundling along - next coin is due shortly.

1 hour ago, Agaupl said:

I'm subscribed to this series in 1oz gold. I should hope it goes on. I believe it will be most amazing with all coins assembled.

Then try very hard to get the originals, I guess? High grade 5 guineas would be such an ambitious collection

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

5 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

I'm subscribed to this series in 1oz gold. I should hope it goes on. I believe it will be most amazing with all coins assembled.

Then try very hard to get the originals, I guess? High grade 5 guineas would be such an ambitious collection

I agree. But I stopped the gold after Henry VII. The silver has continued.  I’ve got myself a little collection of various sizes/ metals of Henry Vii and now want an original. But to do this for all coins just isn’t possible ! 

Aaaahhh😉

1 minute ago, Agaupl said:

I agree. But I stopped the gold after Henry VII. The silver has continued.  I’ve got myself a little collection of various sizes/ metals of Henry Vii and now want an original. But to do this for all coins just isn’t possible ! 

The original in gold will be very challenging, but easier to get some old silver. I think the Henry VII&VIII both used the groat obverse which should be relatively simple.

I'd prefer gold originals of the same monarchs to old silver with matching portrait. The gold Tudor sovereigns will prove very challenging. I'd better try becoming a billionaire first.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

Maybe flooding the market with everything under the sun,and adding large markups on premium coins that already had large markups.

add the endless **** ups from the RM and poor qc.

I like the set :) but i bet they try to add another £5 on the next one.

It's what else you can buy for that £105 😋 they didn't release the box on time for the proof beast coins,How many customers did they lose due to that alone.

8 hours ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

The original in gold will be very challenging, but easier to get some old silver. I think the Henry VII&VIII both used the groat obverse which should be relatively simple.

I'd prefer gold originals of the same monarchs to old silver with matching portrait. The gold Tudor sovereigns will prove very challenging. I'd better try becoming a billionaire first.

Yeah I’ll be going the silver route! 

Aaaahhh😉

14 hours ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

The gold Tudor sovereigns will prove very challenging. I'd better try becoming a billionaire first.

The half sovereigns are much more affordable especially the Henry VIII posthumous issues, which are quite common. Bearing in mind the half sovereigns of the era are approx 8g of 20ct gold. Not that far off a modern sovereign.

Edited by SidS

2 hours ago, jason94151 said:

I feel like this might be popular once the queen elizabeth ii coin is released and if king edward viii were part of the series.

2026 for that one. Last coin and a bit late to start collecting the series. I know everyone and their dog will want one. 

Aaaahhh😉