• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 25 Years Of The £2 Two Pound BU Pack Error Coin Missing Privy Mark

I ordered 5 of the 2022 25years of the £2 BU packs from the Royal Mint and 4 of the 5 coins do not have the privy mark below the Queen's neck.

Anyone else have this error coin, or do I have the only 4 in existence, I wish?????

IMG_9854.JPG

IMG_9855.JPG

IMG_9853.JPG

IMG_9856.JPG

IMG_9857.JPG

Edited by goldhunter

• ChrisSilver changed the title to 2022 25 Years Of The £2 Two Pound BU Pack Error Coin Missing Privy Mark

That's interesting, but with royal mint QC, everything is possible.  If you get 4 out of 5 without privy marks, i think there may be much more than existence of 4.  However, if even return for exchange, i will still keep 1 or 2 for keepsake.

9 hours ago, Bruce06 said:

That's interesting, but with royal mint QC, everything is possible.  If you get 4 out of 5 without privy marks, i think there may be much more than existence of 4.  However, if even return for exchange, i will still keep 1 or 2 for keepsake.

I think I will keep them all, they may be worth more than issue price providing there isn't too many of the errors.

The Royal Mint have obviously used the incorrect obverse die on these coins, it all depends if and when they realize the error as to how many have been minted and sent out.

6 hours ago, goldhunter said:

I think I will keep them all, they may be worth more than issue price providing there isn't too many of the errors.

The Royal Mint have obviously used the incorrect obverse die on these coins, it all depends if and when they realize the error as to how many have been minted and sent out.

There is one on eBay now for £99.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115880204551?hash=item1afaff9907:g:Gr4AAOSwDcFkziDg&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8NwcAhNOTCAPPKJCNHzDa%2Bty1Ed0M6VE5XLRJ89mMUiEipYCcz%2FO9rVd%2BWKGB4A%2FgaskBUvVyggRoH4htzzfM6ahvqOc3S2QAGJgWPARjCDk5Cv7YGbWl3DhD6BFifhwnqaKql5ueNI6a83R9vKlPszJD8YT3vq%2Fd5LUWvD1ZCBCQIadoCRjYT2u7%2F5D4iaNTs3gQL8WDrsDVz0EA0EgcXLELFZlXNkOiSHJySTLp1YyWkLkv%2B4FaSiD49L%2BnZB5T5N6DhD%2BMLmTuh%2BtE2Bm8iUuKEchSRMRiqkX2CSKgGd50I4bBzb%2FI3f0x2Ol09d3eQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR7jU8by5Yg

Why not write to the RM?  Ask them whether they know about these errors and how they could have come about.  It is always nice to get official documentation about these types of error.

Received this reply from the Royal Mint regarding the error coins with the missing privy mark.

"Thank you for your email.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This should not have happened, and we understand your frustration with receiving a product that is not up to our usual standards.

To issue a replacement order, please return the flawed product back to us. Please follow our returns process as seen on our website at the below link."

I took receipt of another 5 coins today from the Royal Mint and they are all missing the privy mark.

So I now have 9 out of 10 coins with the missing privy mark, so not a rare error unfortunately.

1 hour ago, goldhunter said:

Received this reply from the Royal Mint regarding the error coins with the missing privy mark.

"Thank you for your email.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This should not have happened, and we understand your frustration with receiving a product that is not up to our usual standards.

To issue a replacement order, please return the flawed product back to us. Please follow our returns process as seen on our website at the below link."

I took receipt of another 5 coins today from the Royal Mint and they are all missing the privy mark.

So I now have 9 out of 10 coins with the missing privy mark, so not a rare error unfortunately.

Maybe you should send one or two of the error coins back in order to get the rare correct coin!

I have a bunch of the '50 years of the fifty pence' BU coins without the privy mark (4 with and 4 without)- in this case a Spirograph type privy that should be next to the 50.

Initially i thought i had picked up a rare profit making opportunity, but i wouldn't be surprised if this was a common mistake for the RM 😐 

For this to happen (on the fifty pence) they must have separate dies, some with the privy and some without. Makes you wonder why they would produce dies without it when it is part of the design. The two pound coin i can understand because it's a standard obverse but the fifty pence has 'new pence' substituted for 'fifty pence' and is unique to this coin.

18 hours ago, TeaTime said:

I have a bunch of the '50 years of the fifty pence' BU coins without the privy mark (4 with and 4 without)- in this case a Spirograph type privy that should be next to the 50.

Initially i thought i had picked up a rare profit making opportunity, but i wouldn't be surprised if this was a common mistake for the RM 😐 

For this to happen (on the fifty pence) they must have separate dies, some with the privy and some without. Makes you wonder why they would produce dies without it when it is part of the design. The two pound coin i can understand because it's a standard obverse but the fifty pence has 'new pence' substituted for 'fifty pence' and is unique to this coin.

We all won't understand how RM is operating and managing in view of its ongoing quality issue.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Id hazard a guess that the non privy mark is a die used to strike circulation coins. One or other type (with or without) could be sought after in future... Hard to know which yet thought. I'd hang onto them.