• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

NGC Coin Grading

I'm just about ready to join NGC and send off several proof coins for grading. I'd like some information from anyone familiar with the process, so I know what to expect.

I have several 5 coin, 4 coin, 3 coin and individual sovereign sets to send.

1. The www.ngccoin.uk website mentions putting the coins in plastic slips, then double boxing. Would it not be best to send the sovereign sets in their RM wooden boxes, with packaging to stop the coins from rattling?

2. I've not removed the proof coins from the original capsules, nor do I want to, as I don't want to risk dust/scratches/accidents.

3. Sending the coins - Royal Mail special delivery insured up to £2500, so for the 5 coin sets, would it be best to use another insured courier, or even to physically drive/take my coins there in person (if this is even possible). Only other option I can see would be to remove the capsules from the 5 coin set, then pack the capsules in boxes of up to £2500 worth in each box.

Many thanks for any response/help with my newbie questions.

Welcome to my world!  All very good questions.

I submit all my coins in their original capsules and then put them into serial numbered flips, as this saves any double handling of the coins and they are not taken out of the capsules until they are graded in the US. 

3 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Welcome to my world!  All very good questions.

I submit all my coins in their original capsules and then put them into serial numbered flips, as this saves any double handling of the coins and they are not taken out of the capsules until they are graded in the US. 

Thanks for the reply, Dave. Ah I didn't realize the grading was done in the US. Will I be shipping to an address in the UK, then NGC ships to the US?

As for coin flips - I've got some suitable for 1oz Britannias, but nothing that fits the £5 sovereigns. Which coin slips do you use for those and where do you get them?

On 20/06/2023 at 08:35, Timberwolf said:

Ah I didn't realize the grading was done in the US. Will I be shipping to an address in the UK, then NGC ships to the US?

I did not know that either! Maybe Call or email NGC at: Service@NGCcoin.uk ((+44)(0)20 3968 3848) to know if this is the case or not! Because sending the coins again from UK to US is another risk!

14 hours ago, SilverPlatinum said:

I did not know that either! Maybe Call or email NGC at: Service@NGCcoin.uk ((+44)(0)20 3968 3848) to know if this is the case or not! Because sending the coins again from UK to US is another risk!

It’s better to ship to the UK office if you live with in the UK as it’s keeps the shipping within the country and then it’s shipped by NGC UK to the US, you can and some people so ship directly to the US  and like you say there’s risk of insurance and also getting slapped by customs. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the process of packaging my coins to send to NGC, so exciting!

This maybe a strange question - is it an issue that I'll be printing the form out in black and white? I only have a mono laser printer at home. I could pop to a library/printing company if colour is 100% required though. I can't see any stipulation on the form, but thought worth checking here.

3 hours ago, Timberwolf said:

I'm in the process of packaging my coins to send to NGC, so exciting!

This maybe a strange question - is it an issue that I'll be printing the form out in black and white? I only have a mono laser printer at home. I could pop to a library/printing company if colour is 100% required though. I can't see any stipulation on the form, but thought worth checking here.

No that’s fine mate, just expect a long wait and try and forget about them for a while as I’m currently waiting for mine, ngc have had them since the 9th of may and only just been updated too “grading” so I’ll still be waiting at least three weeks before I get them back 🤣

1 hour ago, Mrpound said:

No that’s fine mate, just expect a long wait and try and forget about them for a while as I’m currently waiting for mine, ngc have had them since the 9th of may and only just been updated too “grading” so I’ll still be waiting at least three weeks before I get them back 🤣

Thanks for the reply and info, I hope your coins make it back safely to you soon!

I wish there was a way to send with RM special delivery with > £2500 insurance. Does anyone know a reputable courier that would fully insure a large value package than this? Else it'll be multiple special delivery shipments that I'll have to use.

13 minutes ago, Timberwolf said:

Thanks for the reply and info, I hope your coins make it back safely to you soon!

I wish there was a way to send with RM special delivery with > £2500 insurance. Does anyone know a reputable courier that would fully insure a large value package than this? Else it'll be multiple special delivery shipments that I'll have to use.

Depending how far you are from London, you could always hand deliver them to their office.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

23 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Depending how far you are from London, you could always hand deliver them to their office.

South Wales. Easily doable on the train I guess. I think I'd repurpose a money belt to carry my coins for peace of mind.

Guess I could also collect them in the same manner, or do NGC use some god tier courier to return coins to you?

2 minutes ago, Timberwolf said:

South Wales. Easily doable on the train I guess. I think I'd repurpose a money belt to carry my coins for peace of mind.

Guess I could also collect them in the same manner, or do NGC use some god tier courier to return coins to you?

@GoldDiggerDavewould have all the answers. I think this might be what he does

Never Chase and Never Regret 

35 minutes ago, Spyder said:

@GoldDiggerDavewould have all the answers. I think this might be what he does

The NGC do  have insured return postage, but depending on the FMV of the coins retuned it can get very expensive, I’ve have invoices for £250+ for return postage. 

Take  special year £5 sovereign per coin that’s going to be about £40 to get it back based on FMV  there is an economy of scale however you can easily get over 50-60k of coins based on FMV so postage can add up very quickly depending on what coins you are submitting. 

when submitting coins it’s the only time the owner low balls the fmv of their own coins.

Fair Market Value (fmv) 

59 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

The NGC do  have insured return postage, but depending on the FMV of the coins retuned it can get very expensive, I’ve have invoices for £250+ for return postage. 

Do they use Royal Mail, or another courier that insures beyond the standard £2500 covered by special delivery?

I'm considering dropping off my coins physically in the London office, then paying for them to send them back to me (insured).

Also, can anyone confirm is this is the London office? Doesn't look to be advertised externally as NGC (Certified Collectibles Group UK).

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.520237,-0.1225173,3a,75y,239.3h,100.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSSkJ82S2OjvcAVJxarBB4Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

6 minutes ago, Timberwolf said:

Do they use Royal Mail, or another courier that insures beyond the standard £2500 covered by special delivery?

I'm considering dropping off my coins physically in the London office, then paying for them to send them back to me (insured).

Also, can anyone confirm is this is the London office? Doesn't look to be advertised externally as NGC (Certified Collectibles Group UK).

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.520237,-0.1225173,3a,75y,239.3h,100.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSSkJ82S2OjvcAVJxarBB4Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Yes they will insure beyond 2.5k I’ve have 197k delivered from them fully insured. 

59 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

when submitting coins it’s the only time the owner low balls the fmv of their own coins.

Your bang on there! It’s very funny, I did that the first time I submitted to fit in a certain category. But weeks later I seen the total value of coins submitted and thought what twat has low balled me here!!! Turned out it was ME 🤣 so I realised if anything every goes wrong and the coins are lost I’m getting that pitiful amount back as compensation…… I make sure I’m fair with my own valuing of my summited coins 👌for the sake of a few extra quid postage isn’t worth the risk.

4 minutes ago, Mrpound said:

Your bang on there! It’s very funny, I did that the first time I submitted to fit in a certain category. But weeks later I seen the total value of coins submitted and thought what twat has low balled me here!!! Turned out it was ME 🤣 so I realised if anything every goes wrong and the coins are lost I’m getting that pitiful amount back as compensation…… I make sure I’m fair with my own valuing of my summited coins 👌for the sake of a few extra quid postage isn’t worth the risk.

What I do on mine for people, take a proof sovereign £670 ish I always put it thought at the maximum amount for the tier £2,000 just in case of an insurance claim, but it gets expensive when you return post them as very quickly a few coins get to 60-70k 

The £5 sovereigns are tricky as they are right on the line if you bump up to the next tier  with conservation they can become very expensive. 

I’ve  done a few 2oz golds with conservation 😳

15 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

What I do on mine for people, take a proof sovereign £670 ish I always put it thought at the maximum amount for the tier £2,000 just in case of an insurance claim, but it gets expensive when you return post them as very quickly a few coins get to 60-70k 

The £5 sovereigns are tricky as they are right on the line if you bump up to the next tier  with conservation they can become very expensive. 

I’ve  done a few 2oz golds with conservation 😳

Yeah I can imagine, it’s got too be far trickier when doing multiple high value coins for multiple clients, fair play too you, for coins like that it’s definitely worth using your service 👍 I just do peasant coins in comparison 🤣

10 minutes ago, Mrpound said:

Yeah I can imagine, it’s got too be far trickier when doing multiple high value coins for multiple clients, fair play too you, for coins like that it’s definitely worth using your service 👍 I just do peasant coins in comparison 🤣

Mate it doesn’t matter what value if coins you grade as long as it’s enjoyable…..there can be  some wild disparities, I did a 1964 sixpence for a good friend of mine and it cost more than a new £2 proof sovereign to grade just because of the tier it fell into. 

Just now, GoldDiggerDave said:

Mate it doesn’t matter what value if coins you grade as long as it’s enjoyable…..there can be  some wild disparities, I did a 1964 sixpence for a good friend of mine and it cost more than a new £2 proof sovereign to grade just because of the tier it fell into. 

🤣 I always grade USA coinage tbh and had some right results and some stinkers, it’s all part of the fun, I normally save up 5 coins for grading and send them in. Like today I bought a beautiful toned barber dime for grading but overpaid for what I think it will get assigned so that need to get sent in with some strong coins not too hurt my feelings 🤣

3 minutes ago, Mrpound said:

🤣 I always grade USA coinage tbh and had some right results and some stinkers, it’s all part of the fun, I normally save up 5 coins for grading and send them in. Like today I bought a beautiful toned barber dime for grading but overpaid for what I think it will get assigned so that need to get sent in with some strong coins not too hurt my feelings 🤣

You certainly understand the joys and pain with grading.  🤣 I’ve got some coins I’m begging to grade but I’ll be distraught if they fall short. 

3 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

You certainly understand the joys and pain with grading.  🤣 I’ve got some coins I’m begging to grade but I’ll be distraught if they fall short. 

Unfortunately I do, I’ve got two cleaned ones from one of my first few submissions which now I can see where one of them is cleaned but the other I’ve no clue, it looks high au low ms but obverse is cleaned apparently 😥 haunts me years later but like to keep as a painful reminder 🤣 awww just submit them and keep the hammer ready as a fail safe 🤣 but seriously some times it is hard to bring yourself too actually send them in. 

one us coin I bought raw off the forum years ago, graded it and enjoyed for a few years. recently sold on eBay too someone in Switzerland, made abit of profit but there is almost something more enjoyable about the journey I’ve put that coin on ☺️ and I’ll know that’s “one of mine”

Thanks for the replies and info provided so far, I really do appreciate it.

I'm working through packaging my coins and have started to complete my forms. Please can anyone advise if my name/field descriptions are proper and accurate for the below?

Coins in question are as follows:

https://www.royalmint.com/shop/limited-editions/the-queens-platinum-jubilee/the-platinum-jubilee-2oz-gold-proof-coin/

https://www.royalmint.com/great-engravers/gothic-crown/gothic-crown-quartered-arms-2oz-gold-proof-coin/

https://www.royalmint.com/great-engravers/gothic-crown/gothic-crown-portrait-2021-2oz-gold-proof-coin/

https://www.royalmint.com/sovereign/2022-five-coin-gold-proof-set/

I originally selected the express tier (up to £7500 per coin) to cover the 2oz golds, but with conservation, the cost was extreme!

Many thanks

NGC Example .png

I've also contacted NGC support for them to check the above for me. I'm just not sure if NGC will automatically name it as the do for "all" 2022 £5 sovereigns they grade.

I found this example on coin cabinet. Will NGC took at my form, see the coin is a £5 sovereign, and name my encapsulated coin like the image below? (2022 G.Britain 5 Sov EQ II Platinum Jubilee) . Or do they simply print whatever you write on the form, verbatim?

UK5PG202201A0002_United_Kingdom_Elizabeth_II_2022_Gold_5_Pounds_5_Sovereigns_Proof_NGC_PF_70_ULTRA_CAMEO_3.jpg

Edited by Timberwolf