• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint Coronation Bullion Coin (Gazette Proclamation)

4 hours ago, westminstrel said:

For the obverse impression Our effigy with the inscription “· CHARLES III · D · G · REX · F D · 100 POUNDS ·” and the date of the year, and for the reverse either:

(a) Our Royal Cypher surrounded by a laurel wreath and the inscription “THE CORONATION OF KING CHARLES III 6 MAY 2023” and, in microtext, “THE CORONATION OF KING CHARLES III 6 MAY 2023 1OZ FINE GOLD 999.9”

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/4353516

Denominations are:

Gold - 1 Oz, 1/4 Oz, 1/10 oz

Silver - 1 Oz

This does not sound like the design used on the "Ounce" Coronation coins.  So, is this a completely new design??

34 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

This does not sound like the design used on the "Ounce" Coronation coins.  So, is this a completely new design??

Yes, it's a new design, and it doesn't seem to be a crowned portrait either.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

6 hours ago, Zhorro said:

Indeed this seems to be a different design from the description.

5 hours ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Yes, it's a new design, and it doesn't seem to be a crowned portrait either.

I think it will be the crowned portrait. The term “Our Effigy” covers both the uncrowned and crowned portraits, and the Royal Mint had said the crowned portrait would be used for the Coronation range of coins. 

14 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Indeed this seems to be a different design from the description.

I think it will be the crowned portrait. The term “Our Effigy” covers both the uncrowned and crowned portraits, and the Royal Mint had said the crowned portrait would be used for the Coronation range of coins. 

If it's the crowned portrait I think it will be quite popular. Could be a good buy potentially.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

2 hours ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

If it's the crowned portrait I think it will be quite popular. Could be a good buy potentially.

I'm definately going to be gunning for one, but it'll be the 3rd portrait on a 2023 1 oz gold coin 🤣

Ad lunam, ad opes ac felicitatem.

"Put the soup down. Today is a caviar day."    -James32

1 hour ago, Upsidedown5318008 said:

I'm definately going to be gunning for one, but it'll be the 3rd portrait on a 2023 1 oz gold coin 🤣

I was going to pair each of my 2023 QEII ouncer with a 2023 KCIII Britannia. Now I might have to split between Britannia and this one.

8 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

I was going to pair each of my 2023 QEII ouncer with a 2023 KCIII Britannia. Now I might have to split between Britannia and this one.

I was reading the proclamation, I think I remember seeing there will also be a britannia reverse.. so the third type brit this year

2 minutes ago, Upsidedown5318008 said:

I was reading the proclamation, I think I remember seeing there will also be a britannia reverse.. so the third type brit this year

I'm not sure if there would be a crowned obverse Britannia though. The Gazette does not state for which series of coins a royal permission is granted, but only the denomination, size, etc. But they will likely have proclaimed the regular 2023 Britannia so it's a possibility and a further stretch on my finances...

Reading again I can see you're right, the classic britannia will be separate but remain in production seems like. But the special one will say 6th may so a crowned portrait on that one wouldn't be surprising.

I wonder if it'll be priced the same as it will be just bullion.. or maybe a 200% markup because its "collectable" 🙄

Screenshot_20230520_182747_Chrome.jpg

On my reading of the proclamation I think it is quite likely that there may be a bullion Britannia with the crowned effigy.  Otherwise there would be no need for it to be included in the proclamation, and it strengthens the case that the bullion Coronation coins will have the crowned effigy.

We'll find out soon enough 🙂

16 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

On my reading of the proclamation I think it is quite likely that there may be a bullion Britannia with the crowned effigy.  Otherwise there would be no need for it to be included in the proclamation, and it strengthens the case that the bullion Coronation coins will have the crowned effigy.

We'll find out soon enough 🙂

That's what i thought initially, but maybe it just means the normal version will run concurrently with the crowned one.

That would be a lot going on, but this is the royal mint so who knows

I did see the Britannia specs in here but assumed it was for the already released Britannia.

You guys seem to have hit the nail on the head though - this one might be part of the Coronation range, and with the crowned portrait.

Edited by westminstrel

• 4 weeks later...

Now that the Coronation Proof Sovereign range is out, people have been wondering (in several different topics) when the crowned portrait will be featured next.

Just bumping up this post, because this here coin will almost certainly be the one. 🙂

It’s that time again…

Register your interest 🙂

https://www.royalmint.com/king-charles-iii/the-coronation-of-his-majesty-king-charles-iii-bullion-coin-range

IMG_4277.thumb.jpeg.def40b735bc8b5b52ce2f41185ddd0a0.jpeg

We are excited to share with you a first glimpse of our upcoming Coronation 2023 Bullion Coin Range. 

The range follows the nationwide celebrations of the coronation of His Majesty King Charles III which occurred last month. 

Our new bullion coin range offers you a further opportunity to mark this unique moment in British history, and features a new coronation coin design, as well as special coronation editions of our flagship Britannia and Sovereign bullion ranges. 

To receive further details about the launch of this historic bullion coin range in July, register your interest today.

Edited by westminstrel

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

as well as special coronation editions of our flagship Britannia

I just re-read this… it means even the Britannia will have the crowned portrait.

The Royal Mint really seems to know how to start off with something exclusive and then mass produce it… in the millions. 😆

1 minute ago, westminstrel said:

it means even the Britannia will have the crowned portrait.

The Royal Mint really seems to know how to start off with something exclusive and then mass produce it… in the millions.

Exactly the same thoughts...I was surprised to see that Britannia will be "crowned" also, but...just business. Surprisingly, just announced Royal Arms 2023 don't have crowned portrait 😃

26 minutes ago, ak74 said:

Exactly the same thoughts...I was surprised to see that Britannia will be "crowned" also, but...just business. Surprisingly, just announced Royal Arms 2023 don't have crowned portrait 😃

Oh I didn’t see the Royal Arms announcement. 

• 4 weeks later...

Here in the US, GovMint/Modern Coin Mart is selling a PF70 Ultra Cameo REVERSE proof of the 2 oz. Coronation silver.  I didn't know that a reverse proof of this coin was minted, but it sure looks awesome.

22 minutes ago, JeffM said:

Here in the US, GovMint/Modern Coin Mart is selling a PF70 Ultra Cameo REVERSE proof of the 2 oz. Coronation silver.  I didn't know that a reverse proof of this coin was minted, but it sure looks awesome.

Do you have a link?

Aaaahhh😉