• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1ozt coin or 1ozt bar - thinking of future liquidity

Accepting that everyone will have their personal preference, is there anything to suggest that 1ozt gold bars would be any less liquid than a 1ozt coin when it comes to potential sales down the line?

I'm close to completing a tube of soveriegns and I'm considering moving up the weight classes a little and diversifying my stack. For some reason, I'm quite taken with the gold bars - more so than with the Britannias - but my spider sense is telling me that Brits might be easier to sell on when the time comes. Any truth to that?

I presume it's also true that bars don't benefit from the CGT-free nature of Brits / Sovs?

Many thanks,

FNF.

Agree with Gordy 💯 Brits or any other legal tender coin. Easier to verify and CGT free.

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

When it comes to resale the 1oz coin will probably have a wider appeal than a 1oz bar. 

However they both weigh the same and have the same amount of gold content so if in the event getting metals is hard to come by at some point in the future, I do think people will be happy with anything and everything. 

52 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

I agree that 1oz coins will be easier to liquidate than bars, but maybe consider buying one 1oz bar at some point, as something to keep rather than to stack.

The 1oz minted Britannia bar is a good-looking piece of gold, in my opinion, and more impressive in-hand than I thought it would be. 

I would recommend one as something to own as part of a collection.  But the coins would be preferable from a stacking point of view. 

Gratuitous photo of 1oz Britannia bar and 1oz Una bar:

_20210311_081202.JPG

Yes, hard agree that they look great. FWIW, I have a nice little bundle of Una's in silver and they're glorious.

If you're really concerned about future liquidity you may want to consider 4  x 1/4oz coins rather than a 1oz.

A 1oz coin is getting to be a serious chunk of money for any purchaser to find and it's only going to get worse.

"To get to where I need to be, I start by walking away from where I am."

2 hours ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

If you're really concerned about future liquidity you may want to consider 4  x 1/4oz coins rather than a 1oz.

A 1oz coin is getting to be a serious chunk of money for any purchaser to find and it's only going to get worse.

I’m also into 1/4s at the moment - Brits or QBs. However when you do the Maths ie x4, you realise what you’re actually paying for an ounce of gold!  Ideally then a 1 ounce to keep, and a few 1/4s for liquidation if necessary…

Personally, I don’t sell anything! (Medium to Long term)😺

2 hours ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

I'm stacking Sovereigns for that purpose. It was more about adding a few of the 1oz in addition to the Sov stack, to benefit from reduced premiums.

In total agreement with your view that it will only get harder for people to find these sorts of sums so Sovereigns will remain my primary stack choice.

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

Personally, I don’t sell anything! (Medium to Long term)😺

Me neither. The plan is to supplement my retirement income, cashing in a Sovereign every month to top up any pension I might have. And of course, if it happens to go to the moon before then, having a few ounces to cash in at the top wouldn't be a bad thing either.

In a similar fashion, I have a few bits of gold to cash in relatively soon, but the majority of what I have is to hold for the long term.

If the price does go to the moon, I'm sure that reputable dealers would still buy from the likes of us at competitive prices.  All the more reason to stack items with lower premiums, such as sovereigns and 1 oz Britannias, to minimise the spread.

I know the Krug isn't the prettiest coin - though I confess to liking the simplicity - they are usually obtainable at the lowest premium of any gold coin in my - admittedly limited - experience. 

Chards currently are trading them at a 2.45% premium for a random year of their choosing. Their cheapest Brit is a new Charlie at 3.75% premium. 

Probably more easily shifted if you stuff them in your pockets and wander overseas too.

6 minutes ago, MonkeysUncle said:

I know the Krug isn't the prettiest coin - though I confess to liking the simplicity - they are usually obtainable at the lowest premium of any gold coin in my - admittedly limited - experience. 

Chards currently are trading them at a 2.45% premium for a random year of their choosing. Their cheapest Brit is a new Charlie at 3.75% premium. 

Probably more easily shifted if you stuff them in your pockets and wander overseas too.

Sovereigns, you can stuff them in a tube of smarties. 100% stick to coins. I had a new in blister pack 1 oz bar and only managed to sell at spot price.

Never Chase and Never Regret