• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Opinions on the grade of this 1916 half crown please

artalien

8 minutes ago, Mrpound said:

I found a image of a ms64 1916 1/2 C

Lovely image as well @MrpoundI wonder if the detail in the 64 isn't that much better but looks much better with the toning. Thanks for posting mate. I suppose then the coin I posted above has been cleaned? Not sure.

6 minutes ago, artalien said:

Lovely image as well @MrpoundI wonder if the detail in the 64 isn't that much better but looks much better with the toning. Thanks for posting mate. I suppose then the coin I posted above has been cleaned? Not sure.

I wish I could help more I’m not used to looking at these coin in much detail so I wouldn’t be a good authority on it, I think shouldn’t doesn’t look right like it’s been cleaned in some way.

8 hours ago, Bruce06 said:

I would say yes if there is no toning on the coin.

Thanks Bruce for your post, the coin has some light toning mostly nearing the edges. From the replies so far I think I can go forward using the book mentioned in this thread. The 1/2 C is doing well for the 100 years it has been around.

On 25/02/2023 at 19:13, artalien said:

Hello TSF,  I think this is an EF or VF, what do you think? I am very new to coin grading so would love your opinion. There is an edge knock at 4 oclock. Has the coin been cleaned? What might this coin be worth? Thanks in advance for any input.

20230225_190331_resized.jpg

20230225_190418_resized.jpg

It may have been dipped at some point - you'd expect to see toning on a silver coin of that age, but it's not necessarily a given.  Graders may or may not ding it for that, but it's not a strike against the grade if there's no damage to the surface of the coin.

On the obverse, the mint finish looks like it's largely worn away, and there's a little bit of visible wear on George's ear, but no major handling marks or scratches.  On the reverse, the lion's faces are usually the first thing to go on shields, and the detail is still visible in these.  There is a minor edge knock in the rim at 4:00.  This would grade something like aboutEF, I think.

Also, I second the suggestion of getting Allen's Grading British Coins.  

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

5 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:
14 hours ago, artalien said:

It may have been dipped at some point - you'd expect to see toning on a silver coin of that age, but it's not necessarily a given. 

Thanks Silverlocks for taking the time to reply. I do like an old coin that has extensive toning, like the MS64 above.

I'd say it's probably been cleaned (dipped) at some point. The colour across a circulated coin should vary somewhat, darker around the lettering or in recessed places. This coin looks all one tone, thus most likely cleaned.

Grade-wise definitely VF. The tip of George's moustache has gone, flattened facial hair where the tash and the beard meet. The upper part of the ear is also showing wear. On the reverse you can see the 'I' in HONI is worn, as is the Y and P on the opposite side. There's also wear above the lions top left where the shield meets the crown. Slight wear around the edges of the shield - which always wear first on these slightly concave coins. All indicative of a solid VF grade.

It's a nice coin nonetheless and I have many, many examples just like it. I really love this design.

Edited by SidS

4 minutes ago, SidS said:

I'd say it's probably been cleaned (dipped) at some point. The colour across a circulated coin should vary somewhat, darker around the lettering or in recessed places. This coin looks all one tone, thus most likely cleaned.

Grade-wise definitely VF. The tip of George's moustache has gone, flattened facial hair where the tash and the beard meet. The upper part of the ear is also showing wear. On the reverse you can see the 'I' in HONI is worn, as is the Y and P on the opposite side. There's also wear above the lions top left where the shield meets the crown. Slight wear around the edges of the shield - which always wear first on this slightly concave coins. All indicative of a solid VF grade.

It's a nice coin nonetheless and I have many, many examples just like it. I really love this design.

Thanks SidS for that extensive reply. I live and learn and you folks are helping me to do so. Brillant post mate.

I would agree that the coin is VF or thereabouts and is likely to have been dipped.

Still a very nice coin, though.

Value-wise it's perhaps £10-£15.

Here's one for sale from a reputable dealer for £22 in perhaps a slightly better grade:

https://www.thecoinking.co.uk/collections/halfcrowns/products/1916-halfcrown-george-v-british-silver-coin-very-nice-10

2 minutes ago, SidS said:

These and the lion on crown 1902-1926 shillings are probably my favourite Late Milled coin designs.

Can see why. I don't do date runs of any denominations but if I did I think I'd probably do these George V 1/2 Crowns and, just to shake things up from your suggestion, the Edwardian Florins.

1 hour ago, Bruce06 said:

The standing Britannia Florin is one of my favourite predecimal coins as well.

I don't know how I forgot those to be fair. Shame they ditched it for the rather insipid cruciform shield design.

If you want another good looking pre-decimal silver, the oft forgotten Britannia groat is a gem too. Tiny little things, same diameter as a threepence, but oh so wonderful.

Britannia Groat, you say?  Here's the last of the line, an 1888 specimen.

The only one I have!

I agree about the shilling, florin and halfcrown designs mentioned but I also have a soft spot for the 1927-36 florin design too.

In fact, florins are a really nice denomination for the type collector because there' aren't too many different types and many of them are attractive designs.  Godless, Gothic, Veiled Head, Standing Britannia etc.

K Fourpence 1888.jpg

15 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Britannia Groat, you say?  Here's the last of the line, an 1888 specimen.

The only one I have!

I agree about the shilling, florin and halfcrown designs mentioned but I also have a soft spot for the 1927-36 florin design too.

In fact, florins are a really nice denomination for the type collector because there' aren't too many different types and many of them are attractive designs.  Godless, Gothic, Veiled Head, Standing Britannia etc.

K Fourpence 1888.jpg

A lovely specimen!

I too like florins. I thought about sticking a date collection together once. A lot of money for the gothics though. Although, I do have a full date set of circulated florins from 1887-1967. Nothing to write home about though being F-VF grades.

I have tried being a type collector. I always end up chasing the dates though.