• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Trial of the Pyx 2021-dated coins

4 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

And this is regular grading of a Trial of the Pyx coin.

image.jpeg.1a44fdd56856185746e372072dcdec17.jpeg

Maybe someone who knows about grading can tell if NGC allows you to choose how you want to grade these Pyx coins. 

oh didn't see this post when typing, maybe they do let you choose since the first picture didn't show a grading since most of the one they summited are normaly a 69 or 70

2 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I think that's the right thing to do. You can't grade a coin properly while it's still in sealed packaging like that, some parts won't even be visible.

I don’t get the point of encapsulating in a tamper-proof plastic case something that is already encapsulated in tamper-proof plastic packaging especially as there’s no grading being done anyway. 😆

Talk about losing the plot.

Edited by westminstrel

48 minutes ago, jason94151 said:

Hi Im not from the UK so I don't really know much about this but was wondering why these Trail of Pyx coin are 2021 and not 2022? Also do anyone know if there special packaging for Trail of Pyx coins or will they just use the same packaging as the normal version.

36 minutes ago, jason94151 said:

Are there any pretty heavy signs of use on your coins? And was wondering would you prefer The Trial of Pyx Coin or the normal version.

The Trial of the Pyx is an old - really old - quality control process used to audit the Royal Mint to ensure the Master of the Mint isn't skimming gold and silver off on the side.  Because it's been around since the middle ages, there's a load of traditional pomp accumulated around it, and it is an actual trial with judges and everything.*  Pyx coins are a sort of novelty item that you can collect, and the RM flogs them off every year.  There aren't a huge number of them each year, and they have some value to collectors due to the rarity.    

The reason for the delay is that they take a sample of the coins each month for a year, then take a sample from the collected samples and send them off to a bunch of assayers to get tested.  This whole faff takes 3 months or so, then they have a big shindig where they read out the verdict.  Then, at some point later, they flog off the coins.  The 2021 coins wouldn't have been tested until sometime during 2022, and presumably they're only getting around to flogging them now.

A quick search on the interwebs should turn up videos and other stuff about it.

* Masters of the mint were known to be beheaded when found cooking the books.  As the position of Master of the Mint is now co-located with the Chancellor of the Exchequer, it has been suggested that perhaps this practice ought to be re-instated.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

7 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I don’t get the point of encapsulating in a tamper-proof plastic case something that is already encapsulated in tamper-proof plastic packaging especially as there’s no grading being done anyway. 😆

They have sort of graded it. The CHOICE adjective means the grade is in the range 63 to 70. TIL!

3 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I think that's the right thing to do. You can't grade a coin properly while it's still in sealed packaging like that, some parts won't even be visible.

yea maybe your right since pretty much the packaging is the only way to let people know this was from the Trial of Pyx coin and not just a normal one.

8 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

The Trial of the Pyx is an old - really old - quality control process used to audit the Royal Mint to ensure the Master of the Mint isn't skimming gold and silver off on the side.  Because it's been around since the middle ages, there's a load of traditional pomp accumulated around it, and it is an actual trial.*  Pyx coins are a sort of novelty item that you can collect.  There aren't a huge number of them each year, and they have some value to collectors due to the rarity.    

The reason for the delay is that they take a sample of the coins each month for a year, then take a sample from the collected samples and send them off to a bunch of assayers to get tested.  This whole faff takes 3 months or so, then they have a big shindig where they read out the verdict.  Then, at some point later, they flog off the coins.  The 2021 coins wouldn't have been tested until sometime during 2022, and presumably they're only getting around to flogging them now.

A quick search on the interwebs should turn up videos and other stuff about it.

* Masters of the mint were known to be beheaded when found cooking the books.  As the position of Master of the Mint is now co-located with the Chancellor of the Exchecquer, it has been suggested that perhaps this practice ought to be re-instated.

Oh I see I guess I now know what they do with the leftover coins after the coin are sold.

19 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

honestly I feel like the person who send this to get graded was expecting it have it graded with a number instead of it just being encased.

33 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

They have sort of graded it. The CHOICE adjective means the grade is in the range 63 to 70. TIL!

Hmm if we can see so much damage with the naked eye, can you imagine what shows up at 5x magnification?

I’d have assumed most of these coins would’ve got a DETAILS grade.

I’m quite honestly surprised to see pretty high grades for these coins.

Is NGC being lenient with these coins, or are they just being arbitrary?

3 hours ago, jason94151 said:

I wonder if the Trial of Pyx coins are cheaper compare to the market price that people are selling it and that people want to get these coins even knowing they been touch

These have more of a numismatic value because of were they have been. Some are obviously more marked than others, buyers are aware of this and why.

On 06/02/2023 at 13:04, SiCole said:

Exact reason why i haven't and was happy to upload the above. That kind of money i want it perfect to grade and try and keep the value.

Hi

I was curious to know with my modest knowledge.  Are the coins from the 'Trial of the Pyx' worth investing in? Your comments will be appreciated. 

16 minutes ago, Sharron said:

Hi

I was curious to know with my modest knowledge.  Are the coins from the 'Trial of the Pyx' worth investing in? Your comments will be appreciated. 

More from a numismatic point of view…. been part of a very old ceremony/process. Coins will show some ‘damage’ to a greater or lesser extent, so not for everyone.

So DOES THIS ADD VALUE? i mean id want a 70 for sure. i just spent like 35k thinking it was a limited edition only 5-6 made. i now am learning that they could be just damaged coins? 

i mean should i cancel? do people pay more for coins from the trail? 

On 17/02/2023 at 05:32, noam46 said:

So DOES THIS ADD VALUE? i mean id want a 70 for sure. i just spent like 35k thinking it was a limited edition only 5-6 made. i now am learning that they could be just damaged coins? 

You paid 35K on these coins? 👀 

I bow to you. 🙌🏽 

On 17/02/2023 at 05:32, noam46 said:

You likely won’t get a 70 on these.

In theory you may consider them not as “damaged” but as “inspected”.

People don’t always pay more for every coin the RM releases in this format, from what I’ve seen. Certain coins, like the Sovereign, people do pay more for, because the Trial of the Pyx seems to add an additional dimension to this classic coin.

On 20/02/2023 at 00:24, westminstrel said:

You likely won’t get a 70 on these.

In theory you may consider them not as “damaged” but as “inspected”.

People don’t always pay more for every coin the RM releases in this format, from what I’ve seen. Certain coins, like the Sovereign, people do pay more for, because the Trial of the Pyx seems to add an additional dimension to this classic coin.

What do you think of the gothic crowns 5 oz? i got both of them lol. 

i fear tho the quality will be to "handled" 

i guess im protected by the 14 day return policy. 

28 minutes ago, noam46 said:

Hmm… depends…

Does the significance of the Trial of the Pyx interest you? If so, I think the price is good enough, as it’s almost issue price. They haven’t marked these up as much as they have some of the other lower denomination coins.

Having said that, I think you could still get these around issue price, if not a bit below, so if you really like the design and missed out, and you want a perfect coin, and the Trial of the Pyx doesn’t really appeal to you, you could do better by shopping around a bit. 🙂

9 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Hmm… depends…

Does the significance of the Trial of the Pyx interest you? If so, I think the price is good enough, as it’s almost issue price. They haven’t marked these up as much as they have some of the other lower denomination coins.

Having said that, I think you could still get these around issue price, if not a bit below, so if you really like the design and missed out, and you want a perfect coin, and the Trial of the Pyx doesn’t really appeal to you, you could do better by shopping around a bit. 🙂

im in it for the resell, hoping to put it in auction after grading. 

im here to make money Trial of the Pyx or not Trial of the Pyx i dont really care. i was thinking being so rare and as you said so close to issue price i can turn around a nice profit. 

im not going to hold on to them. 

10 hours ago, noam46 said:

Look at the pics on the website. Theyre abused during the process.

• 2 weeks later...