• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Palladium Freefall

I wanted to look at holding a few ounces of Palladium as the price was overtaking Gold and rising due to Industrial uses. Artifically too high IMHO. Seems to now yo yo with Platinum but the sharp decline makes me glad I didn’t pull the trigger. 
The million dollar question is that is it worth taking the plunge now? The 1/3 loss from a peak october price (-25% YR)more than covers the VAT.

Any thoughts?

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

Can’t get past the £400 price for maples when I first started stacking. Never bought but wished I had taken a few. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

17 hours ago, NGMD said:

I wanted to look at holding a few ounces of Palladium as the price was overtaking Gold and rising due to Industrial uses. Artifically too high IMHO. Seems to now yo yo with Platinum but the sharp decline makes me glad I didn’t pull the trigger. 
The million dollar question is that is it worth taking the plunge now? The 1/3 loss from a peak october price (-25% YR)more than covers the VAT.

Any thoughts?

This chart only has data back to 2017, but includes a low of about £535

Does that alter your thinking?

😎

Chards

I ask my AI Chatbot to ask what was the dip in palladium 

this was the response I got - interesting...

Is platinum being used by motor industry instead of pallidium due to the driving costs, if not what metal is being used?

No, platinum is not being used in the motor industry instead of palladium due to driving costs. Rather, some manufacturers are using a combination of palladium, rhodium, and other metals to reduce costs. Palladium is still the primary metal used for auto catalysts, but many manufacturers are using a blend of other metals to reduce costs. Additionally, some manufacturers are using alternative materials, such as ceramic substrates, to reduce costs as well.

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

3 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

😎

Lawrence, you have replied on 2 of my posts looking for advice/thoughts and just posted an arrogant reply. I appreciate you own a successful business in this field but how about offering up something, rather than a pompous mocking reply. You’re better than that.

Just my opinion of course.

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

On 28/01/2023 at 22:58, NGMD said:

Any thoughts?

Yes, palladium has had a rough time recently:

image.jpeg.4bec50ca7471283084920531322edf38.jpeg

For a while, it was more expensive than gold - its high point was 7th March 2022.  I think the main threat has come from electric vehicles as it was mainly used in internal combustion engines (see video):

So, without giving financial advice, I fear the future could continue to be rough for palladium.

Edited by Zhorro
Duplication

5 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

Yes, palladium has had a rough time recently:

image.jpeg.4bec50ca7471283084920531322edf38.jpeg

For a while, it was more expensive than gold - its high point was 7th March 2022.  I think the main threat has come from electric vehicles as it was mainly used in internal combustion engines (see video):

So, without giving financial advice, I fear the future could continue to be rough for palladium.

Some crazy stuff happening with Palladium and very volatile. You could lose your shirt or earn a fortune depending on which way the wind blows in the industrial sector. If you overlay past performance of platinum and Palladium they follow a pattern of one up, one down and vice versa. Now both down🤪

Risky would be an understatement.

Great Input @Zhorro

-Royal Mint 2024

On 29/01/2023 at 16:05, LawrenceChard said:

😎

👇 At the time wifey my personal contrarian indicator wanted to know why Im "spending" money on that c**p?

image.thumb.jpeg.c6513b7a448dec213297237efcee1979.jpeg

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

3 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

👇 At the time wifey my personal contrarian indicator wanted to know why Im "spending" money on that c**p?

She could have bought a Gucci handbag for that, which would now be worth twice as much as your palladium bars.

But seriously, good thinking, and well done!

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, ArgentSmith said:

£159 an ounce. 
That's incredible and hopefully you sold it and got her a Gucci handbag.

I'm steering well clear…… unless it comes down to £159😄

-Royal Mint 2024

There must have been a shortage in Palladium in the run up to 2020.

I bought 1/10 oz Stillwater round in 2005 for about £40 - Not cheap at the time. I bought it more out of curiosity to be honest. I held it until 2018 or so and then sold it on eBay for about £275 (iirc), which was above market value. So a good profit at the time.

The odd thing was that it was bought by the guys who run (or ran) the element collection company. So I guess they were having difficulty getting hold of platinum group metals to process and sell in their element displays.

Edited by SidS