• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

About to make my first gold purchase

MoonMeander

Looking at making my first ever gold purchase either today or tomorrow.

I will be going for a Sovereign.

I just want to make sure I am getting a good deal. I wanted a 2022 Sov with it being the last QEII one but can't see it in stock to ship anywhere for a reasonable premium.

So my next idea was a "Gold Sovereign Bullion Coin - Minty" from Chards. Premium seems solid and the condition should be great, I guess the payoff is that is can be any random QEII Sov... but as I own zero and I'm not collector anyway, this shouldn't matter right?

Is my logic sound? Or is there a better option? Just want to makesure my first gold buying experience is a good one.

18 minutes ago, MoonMeander said:

I just want to make sure I am getting a good deal. I wanted a 2022 Sov with it being the last QEII one but can't see it in stock to ship anywhere for a reasonable premium.

So my next idea was a "Gold Sovereign Bullion Coin - Minty" from Chards. Premium seems solid and the condition should be great, I guess the payoff is that is can be any random QEII Sov... but as I own zero and I'm not collector anyway, this shouldn't matter right?

Is my logic sound? Or is there a better option? Just want to makesure my first gold buying experience is a good one.

It all comes down to price??

Your choice of dealer is perfect ( very reliable)

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

21 minutes ago, MoonMeander said:

I wanted a 2022 Sov with it being the last QEII one but can't see it in stock to ship anywhere for a reasonable premium.

@SilverDrum has a 2022 sov up for £400+post. That's a little more expensive than Chard's random year minty sovs, but might fall within "reasonable" for you?

I suppose it depends how much you want to buy but it might be worth getting a "Silver Premium" account here so you can see the deals as they come up? Obviously there's a different risk profile with buying from a forum member rather than an established dealer and that's something you have to account for too.

Yes thanks @Anteater i do have a 2022 Sovereign available, with a free coin keyring thrown in 😆 PM me if you are interested @MoonMeander, i think as a non premium member you won't be able to view it for another day on the sale area, unless you upgrade to a premium membership to see all the listings(which is fully recommended).

Logic is sound, and it would be my only suggestion. Sovereigns all day! 

78av.gif

34 minutes ago, MoonMeander said:

Those minty sovereigns don't appear to be in stock ( orderable ) so could take days or multiple weeks to arrive. 

As mentioned @SilverDrum has a 2022 in good condition for £400 posted special delivery. 

Let's do some bad arithmetic. 

£400-£6.75 = £393.25 from @SilverDrum for the coin you wanted originally....or £391 including delivery for a radom but good condition Sovereign from chards, but a possible lengthy wait!

I won't add bias from me as both entity's are very reliable, just get your purse open and don't delay "buy today" 😆 😜 😄 

Good luck with the journey ahead. 

Edited by James32

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

If you don't buy from @SilverDrum for any reason you could just put a wanted post in the ungraded trade section, though if your top choice is a 2022 its likely not worth the hassle,

If your looking to purchase regularly on here invest in a silver membership so you can see sales posts immediately, they pay for themselves very quickly and it also removes the restrictions basic membership has such as being limited to how many active pm chats you can have going

Thanks all. Have dropped @SilverDruma DM to find out the details.

Premium membership is something I am considering but at the moment I am not expecting to buy any great volume (maybe 2 or 3 sovs a year or whatever appears good value).

I've got a lot to think about going forward from these messages and DMs I have had. It's all very new to me so ultimately trying to learn and make good choices.

Just now, MoonMeander said:

Thanks all. Have dropped @SilverDruma DM to find out the details.

Premium membership is something I am considering but at the moment I am not expecting to buy any great volume (maybe 2 or 3 sovs a year or whatever appears good value).

I've got a lot to think about going forward from these messages and DMs I have had. It's all very new to me so ultimately trying to learn and make good choices.

Just keeping a basic membership so you can check back occasionally to get a feel for trends and prices is not a bad call in your ircumstances

Though I warn you now, seen a few folk say they were not expecting to buy a great volume who are now sitting on Scrooge McDuck size stacks

1 hour ago, MoonMeander said:

I'd say that was a good option. You can't go wrong with Chards.

18 minutes ago, Norskgeld said:

Can't go wrong with Chards.

If you ask him nicely @LawrenceChard might give it a quick polish on his Speedos before they send it out. ☺️

Yeah but he still won't give you soddin free postage 🤣 my postage is included, and a free keyring! 

78av.gif

14 minutes ago, Anteater said:

Are those the "this used to be a coin until someone out a hole in it" keyrings? ;)

Worth more than they ever were now they've been drilled and turned into a keyring!

So much focus on the keyrings, i can drill any sov or brit and make it into one if that's the current thing?! 😅

78av.gif

1 hour ago, SilverDrum said:

Worth more than they ever were now they've been drilled and turned into a keyring!

So much focus on the keyrings, i can drill any sov or brit and make it into one if that's the current thing?! 😅

Yeah, do it to all your bullion; you'll make a fortune!

On 11/01/2023 at 13:14, MoonMeander said:

If you are still in the market and want a 2022 Sovereign Atkinsons have pre-owned 2022 sovereigns for sale now for £399.54 including postage.

https://atkinsonsbullion.com/gold/gold-coins/gold-sovereign-coins/pre-owned-2022-uk-full-sovereign-gold-coin

On 11/01/2023 at 13:14, MoonMeander said:

You sound a nervous virgin.  Don't worry every thing will be fine..

On 11/01/2023 at 18:32, Norskgeld said:

Can't go wrong with Chards.

If you ask him nicely @LawrenceChard might give it a quick polish on his Speedos before they send it out. ☺️

You might be better off asking him to refrain from doing that.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.