• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sigma Precious Metals Verifier... What does it tell us when the marker is not in the box?

arphethean

Last night I was sorting through a parcel of silver crowns that came in and testing them on my Sigma. I came across this 1972 Elizabeth and Philip crown

20230104_215510.jpg

Initially I put this it aside as "not silver" as it tested way out of the box whereas all the other sterling silver coins had the marker well inside the box, as did my Victoria jubilee crown.

20230104_214116.jpg 20230104_214108.jpg 20230104_214051.jpg 20230104_214101.jpg

1972 "Sterling Silver??" crown, 1889 sterling silver crown, 1977 sterling silver crown, CuNi crown

I noted that the COA mentioned the same coin was made in CuNi and Silver and just thought the seller must have mistook this as a silver one.

However I went back to check it and noted that the weight, diameter and thickness matches the silver crowns. I also did a magnet test and the magnet slid slowly down the coins like with the sterling coins. 

20230104_214217.jpg

Above: On the left, the 1972 "Sterling Silver??" crown, on the right, 1977 sterling silver crown

20230104_214234.jpg

Above: on the left, 1977 sterling silver crown;  on the right, CuNi crown

So in dimensions it matches a genuine silver crown but the Sigma shows it has higher resistivity (999 silver (lower resistivity)shows the marker to the left, whereas Cuni (higher resistivity)has it way off to the right).

So what is the Sigma telling me about this coin here? Is the composition of Sterling slightly different, perhaps with a more resistive metal in place of some of the copper but with the same 925 silver content??

Does anyone with a better understanding of the Sigma's operation and coin metal compositions know what's going on here?

Edited by arphethean

This highlights nothing more than the machine is finely calibrated for certain coins and types and fails on others. 

The sigma is not a fail proof test by a long way and those that rely on this ALONE to certify silver are playing with fire in my opinion.

As a tool to identify if further and more extensive tests are needed, its perfect. 

This is that case. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

3 minutes ago, arphethean said:

Interesting...

Does this mean the silver content is a bit out?

20230104_221737.jpg

Seen this before on commemorative crowns, sometimes if you move the coin around the reading also changes so it may be the sigma is just reading a spot with less silver, or maybe if it gives a consistent read the wrong ratio's were used?
It shows it is a silver coin not a Cupro though, so I guess a win for the Sigma :) 

1 minute ago, Orpster said:

Seen this before on commemorative crowns, sometimes if you move the coin around the reading also changes so it may be the sigma is just reading a spot with less silver, or maybe if it gives a consistent read the wrong ratio's were used?
It shows it is a silver coin not a Cupro though, so I guess a win for the Sigma :) 

Not necessarily true. 

A must watch for any sigma users that think its infallible 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

3 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

Not necessarily true. 

A must watch for any sigma users that think its infallible 

Yep. I know it's not infallible - I have had a few inconsistencies before so just wanting to explore the issue a bit with a case in point

44 minutes ago, arphethean said:

Yep. I know it's not infallible - I have had a few inconsistencies before so just wanting to explore the issue a bit with a case in point

From my own personal experience...

The cupronickle crown are almost identical in size, but the thickness is bigger ( as your photograph proves)

Sigma is excellent on modern bullion, specifically  .999 or higher but can sometimes struggle with older coins of less purity.

Obviously it's been calibrated to check certain assumed mixes of alloys, but as every mint changed recipes a few times over the years this can lead to inconsistent readings. Shape of coin ( if its raised and not making enough contact with the testing surface) and grime can play a part too.

The fact you still had a solid bar although outside the target area, would has told me there's an issue but not a critical one. I would have lowered the settings to 80% like @Orpster recommended and then done all the Manuel tests you obviously did. Have you tried the wands on it? Could simply be reading a part of the coin that's got a lower content. 

Edited by James32

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

3 minutes ago, James32 said:

From my own personal experience...

The cupronickle crown are almost identical in size, but the thickness is bigger ( as your photograph proves)

Sigma is excellent on modern bullion, specifically  .999 or higher but can sometimes struggle with older coins of less purity.

Obviously it's been calibrated to check certain assumed mixes of alloys, but as every mint changed recipes a few times over the years this can lead to inconsistent readings. Shape of coin ( if its raised and not making enough contact with the testing surface) and grime can play a part too.

The fact you still had a solid bar although outside the target area, would has told me there's an issue but not a critical one. I would have lowered the settings to 80% like @Orpster recommended and then done all the Manuel tests you obviously did. Have you tried the wands on it? Could simply be reading a part of the coin that's got a lower content. 

Everything you have just said is why I decided to stick with boring modern Bullion. 

My Sigma Pro has detected 2 fakes of my own and 3 for someone else, all Silver 1 Oz versions and not more than 30 years old. I’m yet to detect any inconsistencies with anything gold but feel confident the likes of “main” mint coins would show with my current version.

It’s the limitations which keep me from being too adventurous but that’s fine for me, I’m not a true numismatic collector, just a boring stacker, with odd bits of variety thrown in. Which case the Sigma does the job.

43 minutes ago, ZigZag said:

Everything you have just said is why I decided to stick with boring modern Bullion. 

My Sigma Pro has detected 2 fakes of my own and 3 for someone else, all Silver 1 Oz versions and not more than 30 years old. I’m yet to detect any inconsistencies with anything gold but feel confident the likes of “main” mint coins would show with my current version.

It’s the limitations which keep me from being too adventurous but that’s fine for me, I’m not a true numismatic collector, just a boring stacker, with odd bits of variety thrown in. Which case the Sigma does the job.

Me too generally, although I do all the Manual tests first, then and only then does an item reach the sigma. But like you say for modern stuff it's excellent and obviously what it was in large part designed for considering when it came out.

Edited by James32
Worms on my keyboard

I like to buy the pre-dip dip