• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Beginner Seeking Advice

• Founder & Administrator

Moved to the welcome new members section.

Lots of similar topics on the forum, please take your time and look around the existing topics and then feel free to start a new topic if you have a specific question that you can’t find the answer to. Members can also answer your question here.

If you are in the U.K. and looking for gold, often members recommend sovereigns because of their fractional size, ease of selling quick (due to demand) and their low premiums (margin over spot).

Hello and welcome to The Silver Forum :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

36 minutes ago, MetalMickey said:

I am a beginner stacker/collector and although I have some collectable coins, I would very much appreciate some advice on what to buy, in order to take advantage of the possible future rise in gold/silver prices?

Many thanks

Welcome to the forum.

I would look at @BackyardBullions videos and he did one recently about what he would stack now if  he was just starting out....

Given the changes in Capital gains tax thats coming you cannot go wrong with gold soverigns and britannia's.....

giphy.gif 

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

3 hours ago, ChrisSilver said:

Moved to the welcome new members section.

Lots of similar topics on the forum, please take your time and look around the existing topics and then feel free to start a new topic if you have a specific question that you can’t find the answer to. Members can also answer your question here.

If you are in the U.K. and looking for gold, often members recommend sovereigns because of their fractional size, ease of selling quick (due to demand) and their low premiums (margin over spot).

Hello and welcome to The Silver Forum :) 

Many thanks Very much appreciated 👍

As you are a premium member of the forum i would take full advantage of the sales on offer here. Set the UK selling forum to 'follow' top right - you will get emails when stuff comes up. i once had my browser set to notify me of when a new post in the selling section appeared - i have blown up a few computers since then and not sure how to reset it. This way you become aware of offers asap.

There are very high premiums on silver coins in the UK. You can still get coins at a decent price though on the forum selling section. Steer clear of ebay - especially if you are a novice you could end up getting scammed. If you can get silver coins without a big premium then if and when you come to sell them you are more likely to make a decent profit.
Don't go for gimmick coins which can have a high premium which evaporates when the fad passes. That does not mean that some more expensive coins won't be a good investment but knowing which is which may come with experience. Be aware which silver coins are plagued by milk spot - if your coins are affected by it, it will affect their resale price and their general aesthetics.

i recently got a batch of coins from goldsilver.be. i got a tube of King Arthur coins. The finish wasn't bad but it wasn't good. The finish on Royal Mint isn't always the best.
i got some Perth Mint - (excepting the basic Kangaroo bullion coins), the coins from the Perth are top drawer. More money but worth that bit extra. i got some Niue coins (New Zealand mint) these are nice and Tokelau Silver coins, produced by the Pressburg Mint of Slovakia again nice quality. So get to know which are the better quality coins, in my opinion a few quid more in the long run pays off.

Gold is generally a better buy in the UK. Sovereigns are the first choice. The question has been asked many times and the answer is always get sovereigns.
UK coins in gold and silver carry no Capital Gains Tax. 

Also be careful about buying gold bars. Never ever buy them from ebay. You can get scammed too easily with a bar. 

Ask on the forum if you are in doubt about something, collectively there is a lot of experience here.

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Welcome @MetalMickey. this forum is a treasure trove of information. Take some time out. Grab yourself a bite to eat and a hot drink. Put your feet up and do a few searches. You will find many rabbit holes to go down.@HerefordBullyunis on the money with gold sovereigns and the like. It won’t break the bank, start with quarter sovereigns and work your way up. Good luck.