• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The model for 2003 proof Britannia?

RDHC

Has anybody else noticed that the profile of the face on the 2003 proof gold Britannia seems to be rather/very like the profile (and likewise hair style) of the new Princess of Wales? Or am I completely deceiving myself? It is certainly unlike the faces/profiles that Philip Nathan used on his other designs - all excellent and highly original in my opinion, by the way

If I happen to be right - an unusual state of affairs, I admit - does this enhance the attractions of this particular coin or add nothing to them? I can't believe that any similarity would actually detract from the coin, unless you were a particularly ardent anti-monarchical, gold coin collector (which might be considered something of a contradiction in terms, given the number of monarchs, princes etc., who feature on gold coins).

I'm not seeing the resemblance myself, if that did happen at least Meghan wasn't on the scene, what an eye sore that would be 😀

I think the Royal Mint could re-do the 2001 and 2003 proof Britannia's, I don't think they work with one side being a matte finish and the other side being proof.

Really nice coin designs and subject matter though.

1 hour ago, GoldStatue said:

I'm not seeing the resemblance myself, if that did happen at least Meghan wasn't on the scene, what an eye sore that would be 😀

I think the Royal Mint could re-do the 2001 and 2003 proof Britannia's, I don't think they work with one side being a matte finish and the other side being proof.

Really nice coin designs and subject matter though.

Entirely agree about Meghan, but I suspect that Philip Nathan, being an artist with obvious taste, would not have considered her, especially for a profile as her nose looks like a ski slope, to my eyes anyway.

3 hours ago, SheepStacker said:

They didn't start dating until 2003, and I imagine the design for the 2003 Proof Britannia would have been completed in 2002.

Good point. I had vaguely wondered about that angle.

3 hours ago, SheepStacker said:

They didn't start dating until 2003, and I imagine the design for the 2003 Proof Britannia would have been completed in 2002.

I can see some resemblance. Maybe Philip Nathan was Catherine's beau before she met William? 

I'm sure I've seen some gold Britannias dated before 2003!

😎

Chards

The 2003 is not my favourite, although I do have a bullion version. I take the point about the profile - attractive enough at second glance. However the upturned coal bucket on her head looks wrong to me!

Re the 2021 ‘Person of colour’ version of Britannia by the RM, that is part of their diversity program, at least that’s what I read in their annual report. 

Anyway, a pic of the 2003 Brit…..

BAE3D283-BFD2-44B0-9C45-295C785C0B18.jpeg

1 hour ago, Britannia47 said:

The 2003 is not my favourite, although I do have a bullion version. I take the point about the profile - attractive enough at second glance. However the upturned coal bucket on her head looks wrong to me!

Re the 2021 ‘Person of colour’ version of Britannia by the RM, that is part of their diversity program, at least that’s what I read in their annual report. 

Anyway, a pic of the 2003 Brit…..

BAE3D283-BFD2-44B0-9C45-295C785C0B18.jpeg

Yes, not my favourite either. I agree that the helmet would look better with a hinged visor (never mind the plume), it lacks the trident, and the abstract waves are not entirely convincing. A brave attempt, but the 2001 is considerably more successful as a modern approach (though I know that that year's design is slightly retro i.e. somewhat 'Art Deco', if I have got my period styles correct). My personal favourite is the 2005 proof design with the peaceful, contemplative Britannia (also, dare I say it, apparently  rather an attractive lady). Of course the first Philip Nathan, the 1987 Britannia, thankfully still not superseded, is absolutely peerless. But I digress.

Personally, I’ve lost track of all the different Britannia designs. It seems that many prefer the 2014 design simply because she seems more ‘lady-like’ than ‘warrior’ if you know what I mean!  Having stopped collecting on 2 occasions it would be mission impossible now to catch up, apart from the expense, so it’s about enjoying what you have. 
My last Brit is on my Avatar, as you can see.

All this would warrant its own topic, so I won’t digress further……