• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovs / Half Sovs / Double Sovs

MonkeysUncle

Chaps

A simple question...

I, and others, have asked what gold to buy and the almost unanimous answer is Sovs. One of the many reasons being at 350/ 400 pounds they are relatively easy to sell on whereas a 1oz coin costs quite a bit.

So in my head I'm thinking Double Sovs are twice as much, so therefore a bit harder to shift and therefore possibly less popular?

And Half Sovs probably easier... but are they as popular? Do any of you lovely people collect/ stack/ hoard them?

I ask as the illogical part of my brain has it's eyes on a rather nice half sovereign collection up for sale. The logical side is preoccupied with achieving balance a top a fence as per usual. Do I or don't I?

Edited by MonkeysUncle
More errors than a Truss/ Kamikaze budget

• MonkeysUncle changed the title to Sovs / Half Sovs / Double Sovs

Never struggled to sell any half's or full's when priced right, 

I have sold a couple of large bundles of half's on here this year.  Trick is always not to be greedy, when selling you need to be under the equivalent dealer price for bullion.  You can get a better price for more premium items of course, but for bullion it needs to be under the dealer price.  

I think dealers are having a laugh at the minute!  the prices of modern sovereigns are currently very expensive and the price doesn’t come down much even when the spot price drops so I’ve just been stacking 1/4 Brits instead. 

46 minutes ago, Apmex100 said:

I think dealers are having a laugh at the minute!  the prices of modern sovereigns are currently very expensive and the price doesn’t come down much even when the spot price drops so I’ve just been stacking 1/4 Brits instead. 

1/4 Brits were more expensive last time I looked, almost double the premium of sovereigns. 

1 hour ago, MonkeysUncle said:

When I looked earlier today dealer T was buying Sovs at 341.71 and selling at 365.75, which seems pretty fair to me.

The same dealer will pay 363.60 for a 1/4oz Brit but take you for 411.17 if you're buying.

Clearly a much tighter margin on the Sovs. 

Those are "spreads" rather than "margins"!

😎

Chards

2 hours ago, MonkeysUncle said:

When I looked earlier today dealer T was buying Sovs at 341.71 and selling at 365.75, which seems pretty fair to me.

The same dealer will pay 363.60 for a 1/4oz Brit but take you for 411.17 if you're buying.

Clearly a much tighter margin on the Sovs. 

I’m stacking for the long term. When it comes to sell I won’t be selling to a dealer tho and when I sell the spot price will be higher than when I bought the coins as I buy in bulk when the spot price is down. 

2 hours ago, chrisdobb said:

Tomato Tomarto

No, the differences are not just minor. There is a huge chasm of difference between "spread" and "margin". You will realise if you think about it. I have explained the difference numerous times already, so I will refrain from repeating it here.

😎

Chards