• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is this what they call overstamping

DrDave

I'm not suggesting that this is rare etc, just asking a question.

I've seen overstamped dates on here, and understand the reason. But why overstamp a letter? It is due to a weak stamp of a single letter.

1853A.jpg

1853.jpg

1 hour ago, DrDave said:

I've seen overstamped dates on here, and understand the reason. But why overstamp a letter? It is due to a weak stamp of a single letter.

1853A.jpg

1853.jpg

I would call it a doubled letter.

I guess the die-sinker hit the letter "A" punch twice, possibly to remedy a poor first hit, or perhaps a bounce.

P.S. I suspect you are just showing off your macro skills!

😎

Chards

12 hours ago, DrDave said:

This is an overstamp:

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/blackpool-businessman-given-the-stamp-of-disapproval-292646

Two of the assailants were given police suations, but the co-owner manager who sent them over got away without any action taken.

😎

Chards

3 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

This is an overstamp:

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/blackpool-businessman-given-the-stamp-of-disapproval-292646

Two of the assailants were given police suations, but the co-owner manager who sent them over got away without any action taken.

😎

Oh dear. Ungoetunately, the police aren't fully up o speed on what and where photography is allowed. I've been stopped trying to take a photo of Buckingham Palce because i might use the images to be 'casing the joint'!

1 hour ago, Orpster said:

You can often get an inverted V used in place of an A, also I and 1 substituted for each other, seems more common in the Australian mints coins

This one looks like a double struck A though I reckon

Yes i've seen them in the books. I'm on the hunt now!!

2 minutes ago, DrDave said:

Oh dear. Ungoetunately, the police aren't fully up o speed on what and where photography is allowed. I've been stopped trying to take a photo of Buckingham Palce because i might use the images to be 'casing the joint'!

The problem is that we have proper cameras which look like cameras.

The mob of others around us using mobile phone cameras, or compacts, don't get challenged.

A few years ago, a security person at Manchester Airport threatened me with dire consequsnces because I tried to photograph a ridiculous sign in one of the car parks. I pointed out that my car and many others were continually photographing it on their dashcams.

His reply was that it was a different sort of photography.

I guess it's OK for terrorists and felons to use car dashcams, and that doesn't count!

😎

Chards

43 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

This is an overstamp

Police who don't know the law and 'ladies' who wear nothing but underwear outside then make a fuss when they're seen. How cultured we've become. 

I am sorry you went through that Lawrence, fortunately some 'brave' lad or lass didn't think fists or a brick from behind were an option as it could have been tragically worse. 

Good for you for refusing the request to delete what you snapped.

6 hours ago, Arganto said:

Police who don't know the law and 'ladies' who wear nothing but underwear outside then make a fuss when they're seen. How cultured we've become. 

I am sorry you went through that Lawrence, fortunately some 'brave' lad or lass didn't think fists or a brick from behind were an option as it could have been tragically worse. 

Good for you for refusing the request to delete what you snapped.

When threatened with arrest if I declined the request to leave, I do regret not having stood my ground, and informed the copper that I would make a formal complaint if arrested.

I think I should have done so in any case because of threat to arrest me, instead of taking firmer action against the aggressors.

I'm too easy going!

😎

Chards

1 minute ago, LawrenceChard said:

When threatened with arrest if I declined the request to leave, I do regret not having stood my ground, and informed the copper that I would make a formal complaint if arrested.

I think I should have done so in any case because of threat to arrest me, instead of taking firmer action against the aggressors.

I'm too easy going!

😎

I once asked the police, exactly what are you going to do? Arrest me too? 

Yup they did😬

I like to buy the pre-dip dip