• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Anyone Want to Play at Being a Coin Expert? - Try This - Question about a 5 pound 1887 gold coin - forgerie or a variation?

LawrenceChard

Anyone Want to Play at Being a Coin Expert? - Try This

This morning, I saw a Teams message, and e-mail, from one of the @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer Customer Service Team:

Fw "Question about a 5 pound 1887 gold coin - forgerie or a variation?"

Who fancies offering an answer before they read any further?

😎

Chards

13 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Anyone Want to Play at Being a Coin Expert? - Try This

This morning, I saw a Teams message, and e-mail, from one of the @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer Customer Service Team:

Fw "Question about a 5 pound 1887 gold coin - forgerie or a variation?"

Who fancies offering an answer before they read any further?

😎

Variation of a forgery?

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

I'd vote 'forgerie' without any further information.  The 1887 double and quintuple sovereigns are the sort of coins that people really only should buy from a reputable numismatic dealer and with a guarantee from that same dealer that the coin is genuine.

I do hope that the coin is genuine.  The genuine item is a lovely coin..

3 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

peut-etre (apologies for lack of circonflexe).

Relax, I've found one peut être.

BTW: It is circumflex.

When I want an accent, I just Google the word without, and almost always get a foreign language page with correct word with accent. It is usually quicker and better than searching for Unicode etc.

😎

Chards

8 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

I'd vote 'forgerie' without any further information.  The 1887 double and quintuple sovereigns are the sort of coins that people really only should buy from a reputable numismatic dealer and with a guarantee from that same dealer that the coin is genuine.

I do hope that the coin is genuine.  The genuine item is a lovely coin..

Just from his title "Question about a 5 pound 1887 gold coin - forgerie or a variation?"

and without looking at anything else, I replied:
"Fake".
Jane said exactly the same!
😎

Chards

7 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Relax, I've found one peut être.

BTW: It is circumflex.

When I want an accent, I just Google the word without, and almost always get a foreign language page with correct word with accent. It is usually quicker and better than searching for Unicode etc.

😎

En Francais, c'est l'accent circonflexe... 😉

30 minutes ago, SidS said:

I think it's real. 

23 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

I admire your optimism.

I often find myself telling people a coin is real. You can feel it touch it, hear it. It must be real, as opposed to imaginary. But it's fake.

I am of course being slightly pedantic while having a little fun.

Here's some more information:

"I would like to ask for аn expert opinion regarding a 5 pound 1887 gold coin .

It has a curious differences in the shape of letters in the inscription on the obverse. 
The base of all letters in right of Queen's portrait have's a specific curve which is not present in other images of the coins tath l have the opportunity to examine . In left part of the inscription the huck is longer at top of the letter D , C is with short space between two ends of the letter,the middle part of the order is wider and bigger in size than other coins from the same yare. 
There are also three large differences on reverse side of the coin . The mane of the horse is longer and the lines continues to the back. The tail is longer than usual and the space between the in the yare 1887 is shorter. 
Are all these differences are indicating tath this coin could be one of many forgeries of 5 pound coins made in the same time or later? I read Chards and other articles on the subject .
I read tath there are reported a large number of forgeries of this coin, and that although some are of poor quality and can be easily detected by the experienced numismatist there are also very competent fakes tath are difficult to detect.
The coin is bought from a reputable coin dealer which had provide me a document for authenticity. 
The test of the quantity of it's gold is showing exactly 22 carats , the weight of the coin is 39.55 g and the diameter is the same as an original coin. If it's a presumably a fake coin why did the forgers made it so different from other and how would it then pass as an original ?
How could those variations in obverse and reverse side of the coin be explained ?
Do Chards has a image of a similar coin in it's database ?
The last two photos are for comparing. 
I would be very obligated to you if you can help me. 

Kind Regards, "

(Russian name in Cyrillic lettering)

Any more opinions?
😎

Chards

4 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Why can't the French just speak English, llike normal people?

😎

@LawrenceChard - I think someone from America has compromised your account.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

I think the enquirer has answered his/her own question and has his/her own remedy if he/she wishes to return it to the seller.  After all, he/she has been given 'a document for authenticity'...

Edited by Stuntman
pronoun pedantry!

8 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

I think the enquirer has answered his/her own question and has his/her own remedy if he/she wishes to return it to the seller.  After all, he/she has been given 'a document for authenticity'...

Well if there's a document of authenticity provided, it must be real. Those are never faked. 😉

I know all too well it's probably fake, but I like playing devil's advocate, cos you never know.

I suspect it's as real as my 1984 Brass threepence of George V. 😁

1 minute ago, SidS said:

I suspect it's as real as my 1984 Brass threepence of George V. 😁

Proof or Brilliant Uncirculated?

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.