• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Looking for your opinions on the value of this coin

Alex944

Hello Forum!

looking for some opinions on the (estimated) value of this coin. It’s a 1868 2 1/2 guilder (though the flip says 1 guilder) from the Netherlands with Willem III’s portrait. I think the condition is quite good. 

i’ve found a few of these in sold status on etsy and ebay which evidently aren’t the best price indicators. In worse and similar conditions these seem to have sold between 75 and 120 euro (there are some online more expensive but these arent sold at this stage). 

not the rarest, but these 2 1/2 guilders do command a decent premium in general (its 25g of .945 silver). I’m thinking in this condition it’d be around 80-100 € (70-86£ Gbp), but curious to see what the opinions are over here. 

thanks in advance!

AB6BACE6-25A3-4C7A-A91F-69A010519720.jpeg

345B98B0-68C8-4DC5-992C-B7EA10F764ED.jpeg

Edited by Alex944

Thanks a lot for including a link of that auction! I still have a lot to learn I see. Surprised it didn’t sell at 40€ to be honest, though that may have just been little interest in that period. Perhaps 35-50€ is more realistic. 

1 minute ago, Alex944 said:

Thanks a lot for including a link of that auction! I still have a lot to learn I see. Surprised it didn’t sell at 40€ to be honest, though that may have just been little interest in that period. Perhaps 35-50€ is more realistic. 

Yeah, sorry for being a messenger of bad news. You can also check offers on ma-shops where there's a variety of conditions and prices https://www.ma-shops.com/shops/search.php?searchstr=Netherlands+2+1%2F2+gulden+1868&catid=-1&sortby=preis_exclship to get an idea, keeping in mind that ma-shops asking prices are typically above what's fair market value.

It's however still possible that on eBay this coin could be sold to an uninformed buyer for more - it's eBay, after all, where anything is possible 🙂

Thanks Leon! I purchased this for my own collection but I was just curious of it’s value and the opinion of others as the world of (collectable) world silver is quite new to me. I paid 34€ for this so I think it’s not too bad. I’ve seen similar ones for sale at my local coinshop in dublin (higher grades though) but they are way more expensive, cheapest one sits at 100€. 

1 minute ago, CollectForFun said:

It's however still possible that on eBay this coin could be sold to an uninformed buyer for more - it's eBay, after all, where anything is possible 🙂

Thank you! Yes it is less than I imagined but that is ok. When I do sell I prefer to do it here, i feel better when we can help each other out rather than getting more €€ from a buyer who doesn’t know that ebay is (generally) a rip off. 

thanks for all of your opinions, I appreciate it

2 hours ago, Alex944 said:

Hello Forum!

looking for some opinions on the (estimated) value of this coin. It’s a 1868 2 1/2 guilder (though the flip says 1 guilder) from the Netherlands with Willem III’s portrait. I think the condition is quite good. 

i’ve found a few of these in sold status on etsy and ebay which evidently aren’t the best price indicators. In worse and similar conditions these seem to have sold between 75 and 120 euro (there are some online more expensive but these arent sold at this stage). 

not the rarest, but these 2 1/2 guilders do command a decent premium in general (its 25g of .945 silver). I’m thinking in this condition it’d be around 80-100 € (70-86£ Gbp), but curious to see what the opinions are over here. 

thanks in advance!

AB6BACE6-25A3-4C7A-A91F-69A010519720.jpeg

345B98B0-68C8-4DC5-992C-B7EA10F764ED.jpeg

Perhaps there is a grade / price inversion at work here (like temperature inversions), where the lower grades sell for more than better ones

😎

2 hours ago, CollectForFun said:

Is this the same coin? If so, it was on auction earlier this year with starting price EUR 40 and went unsold...

spacer.png

That probably sums up the likely value!

😎

Chards

Again, sorry to be the bearer of less-than-ideal news, but personally I don't think your coin is worth very much.  Perhaps £10 at most if you were selling to a coin dealer.  Melt value if you were selling to a bullion dealer.  Possibly a little more if you were selling privately to a collector.

The coin is not rare, and in my opinion using strict UK grading it is probably in Good Fine (GF) condition.  Near Very Fine (NVF) if I was being very charitable.  I also don't think it's a particularly attractive design, either (but others may).

However if you like it, that is really all that matters.  I have many coins containing silver that I like but which aren't worth much if anything more than melt value if I sold to a dealer, and some of which I overpaid for.

1 hour ago, Stuntman said:

The coin is not rare, and in my opinion using strict UK grading it is probably in Good Fine (GF) condition.  Near Very Fine (NVF) if I was being very charitable.  I also don't think it's a particularly attractive design, either (but others may).

However if you like it, that is really all that matters.  I have many coins containing silver that I like but which aren't worth much if anything more than melt value if I sold to a dealer, and some of which I overpaid for.

Thank you very much for your input! In terms of design, it's each to their own. I've seen nicer designs and worse designs, but indeed, that just depends on the person. I appreciate your insights on the grading too.

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

Perhaps there is a grade / price inversion at work here (like temperature inversions), where the lower grades sell for more than better ones

I guess that could happen sometimes in terms of rarity, is that a thing? I'd imagine that most people would like higher grades either way but people are people so who knows :D. This part of collecting is new to me so I try to keep learning.

Again thanks for everyone's input, perhaps one day I'll actually know what I'm on about!

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

😎

3 minutes ago, Alex944 said:

I guess that could happen sometimes in terms of rarity, is that a thing? I'd imagine that most people would like higher grades either way but people are people so who knows :D. This part of collecting is new to me so I try to keep learning.

It does.

We used to have flea market dealers come into our showroom looking for 

1780 Maria Theresa Thalers

Cartwheel Twopences.

and more.

They only wanted circulated specimens because they could put them in their junk boxes as car boot sales, and unsuspecting punters would pay far too much for them thinking they were buying a genuine 1780 Maria Theresa Thaler for a fraction of its true value.

Greed and Fear!

😎

Chards