• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Gold £5 Quintuple Sovereign Brilliant Uncirculated Matt Finish - Photos

On 30/08/2022 at 17:38, LawrenceChard said:

2022 Gold £5 Quintuple Sovereign Brilliant Uncirculated Matt Finish-  Photos

I got to see these last week, and here are some photos:

2022MattGoldBUQuintupleSovereignElizabethII5PoundSterlingCoinSingleUnitedKingdomTheRoyalMintreversecrop.thumb.jpg.0bc8df25a3bd56d1233318895dc1ca7a.jpg

It may not be easy to discern from the photos that these are matt finish, but comparison with a bullion version gold sovereign or double sovereign would make it obvious.

2022MattGoldBUQuintupleSovereignElizabethII5PoundSterlingCoinSingleUnitedKingdomTheRoyalMintobversecrop.thumb.jpg.cb8a37fbb5f0b037e846b6714a69dadf.jpg

The matt finish does look better, and is likely to add to the long term appeal of these coins.

2022MattGoldBUQuintupleSovereignElizabethII5PoundSterlingCoinSingleUnitedKingdomTheRoyalMintreverseinboxcrop.thumb.jpg.c3fb7498360a75565c58ffec4cf798c0.jpg

Now, if only they were in yellow gold!

😎

I was about to ask if they came in a gold finish, but you beat me to it.

10 hours ago, SidS said:

Funnily enough, I do think these photos don't look as red as usual for recent sovereign issues, and similar with the actual coins. I need to take a second look.

With any luck, the RM might have sneaked some silver into the alloy as an experiment, in which case, we should also do a Niton test on them, which we often do, even with new coins.

😎

Chards

On 30/08/2022 at 17:38, LawrenceChard said:

2022 Gold £5 Quintuple Sovereign Brilliant Uncirculated Matt Finish-  Photos

I got to see these last week, and here are some photos:

It may not be easy to discern from the photos that these are matt finish, but comparison with a bullion version gold sovereign or double sovereign would make it obvious.

The matt finish does look better, and is likely to add to the long term appeal of these coins.

Now, if only they were in yellow gold!

😎

On 01/09/2022 at 20:31, Stuntman said:

What's your overall opinion of the quintuple sovereign when seeing the coin in hand, @LawrenceChard?

Would you be pleased to own one as a collector?

On 01/09/2022 at 22:55, SidS said:

On 02/09/2022 at 09:17, LawrenceChard said:

Funnily enough, I do think these photos don't look as red as usual for recent sovereign issues, and similar with the actual coins. I need to take a second look.

With any luck, the RM might have sneaked some silver into the alloy as an experiment, in which case, we should also do a Niton test on them, which we often do, even with new coins.

😎

Slight update on possible silver content and yellowish colour:

I did a Niton test on one, and:

275796243_2022DoubleSovMattBUNitonTest.thumb.jpg.e8316778fe8a599c3867b37cb1354cf6.jpg

The observant will notice that I have titles the Niton sheet as 2022 Double Sovereign, but I must have been in too much of a hurry, as often.

It should be headed 2022 Quintuple Sovereign (No beers for spotting this too late).

Obverse:

Gold 918 +- 3

Copper 81 +-1

Silver 1 +-0

Reverse:

Gold 918 +- 3

Copper 82 +-1

Silver 0 +-0

I was pleasantly surprised by the obverse reading, but then slightly suprised by the initial reverse reading of 0.

When I pressed the "details" button, I got further information:

Silver 000.5 +- 00003

This was more or less as I expected.

Both silver readings were probably slightly under 1 ppt, but the obverse must have been enough for it to get rounded up to 1 ppt, while the reverse got rounded down to 0 ppt.

Nevertheless, this is a very interesting result.

I was partly joking when I suggested the RM might have sneaked some silver into the alloy, perhaps as a consumer or other test. I may just have hit the proverbial nail on the head.

Although the matt finish may have helped the apparent colour, it is beyond doubt that the tiny silver content has improved the colour.

Will we ever know?

Watch this space!

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

10 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Slight update on possible silver content and yellowish colour:

I did a Niton test on one, and:

275796243_2022DoubleSovMattBUNitonTest.thumb.jpg.e8316778fe8a599c3867b37cb1354cf6.jpg

The observant will notice that I have titles the Niton sheet as 2022 Double Sovereign, but I must have been in too much of a hurry, as often.

It should be headed 2022 Quintuple Sovereign (No beers for spotting this too late).

Obverse:

Gold 918 +- 3

Copper 81 +-1

Silver 1 +-0

Reverse:

Gold 918 +- 3

Copper 82 +-1

Silver 0 +-0

I was pleasantly surprised by the obverse reading, but then slightly suprised by the initial reverse reading of 0.

When I pressed the "details" button, I got further information:

Silver 000.5 +- 00003

This was more or less as I expected.

Both silver readings were probably slightly under 1 ppt, but the obverse must have been enough for it to get rounded up to 1 ppt, while the reverse got rounded down to 0 ppt.

Nevertheless, this is a very interesting result.

I was partly joking when I suggested the RM might have sneaked some silver into the alloy, perhaps as a consumer or other test. I may just have hit the proverbial nail on the head.

Although the matt finish may have helped the apparent colour, it is beyond doubt that the tiny silver content has improved the colour.

Will we ever know?

Watch this space!

😎

What you need to do now is lavish them with praise and say how much more fantastic they look now they've gone more... how can I put this?

Gold coloured.

The addition of the silver has made these fly off of the shelves way faster than that 9ct gold look.

2 minutes ago, SidS said:

What you need to do now is lavish them with praise and say how much more fantastic they look now they've gone more... how can I put this?

Gold coloured.

The addition of the silver has made these fly off of the shelves way faster than that 9ct gold look.

I quite agree, and in all seriousness.

Even if it was by mistake, if enough people, especially direct RM customers, joined in, it might make a difference!

😎

Chards

Just now, LawrenceChard said:

I quite agree, and in all seriousness.

Even if it was by mistake, if enough people, especially direct RM customers, joined in, it might make a difference!

😎

Indeed, whilst I'll admit my tone was jestful, you know what they say about words spoken in such.