• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign experts. I also need help.

Murphy1986

Hi guys, about 10 years ago i inherited my deceased gran's chain. I found it while clearing a cupboard out today and it has a coin mounted in it that is the design of a 1907 sovereign. Being a newbie to PMs i have no clue if it is fake or real and wondered if anyone could help me out or advise where i could get it tested (pictures attached)

The coin with mount is 20mm diameter, ruling out it being a full sovereign, but am i right in thinking it could be a half? I can try get better pictures as i do have a dslr camera but didnt see the point if someone can tell if its a fake from the mobile pics. 

*Disclaimer: i will be keeping it regardless of whether its a fake or not. Just nice to know so it can go with my bullion collection.

Thanks in advance

Murphy

20220806_201112.jpg

20220806_201027.jpg

Hope you can find some answers, the forum is certainly the best place to ask for advice, second only to visiting a jewellers or pawn shop for them to assess in hand, which is obviously a lot easier than making observations from images 👍

Mankind’s two greatest enemies are the state and central banks - Jeff Berwick

It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning - Henry Ford

The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why - Mark Twain

2 hours ago, Murphy1986 said:

Hi guys, about 10 years ago i inherited my deceased gran's chain. I found it while clearing a cupboard out today and it has a coin mounted in it that is the design of a 1907 sovereign. Being a newbie to PMs i have no clue if it is fake or real and wondered if anyone could help me out or advise where i could get it tested (pictures attached)

The coin with mount is 20mm diameter, ruling out it being a full sovereign, but am i right in thinking it could be a half? I can try get better pictures as i do have a dslr camera but didnt see the point if someone can tell if its a fake from the mobile pics. 

*Disclaimer: i will be keeping it regardless of whether its a fake or not. Just nice to know so it can go with my bullion collection.

Thanks in advance

Murphy

20 minutes ago, James32 said:

18 minutes ago, James32 said:

Lot of weird colouring on it for something made to withstand the test of time "22ct" but one of the above gents may have a definitive answer.

Look at the specs for half sovereigns:

Specification

Metal Gold
Diameter 19.3mm
Weight / Size Half
Gold Weight Troy Ounces 0.118
Fineness / Carat 0.917 / 22
Date 2022
Obverse Designer Jody Clark
Reverse Designer Timothy Noad
Issuing Monarch Elizabeth II (1952 - Date)
Mint / Brand The Royal Mint
Country United Kingdom

These are from https://www.chards.co.uk/2022-gold-half-sovereign-uncirculated-coin/15696

All dates are the same.

So, is your coin nearer 4 grams or 8 grams?

Discoloration:

I see it quite often on jewellery, possibly some kind of lacquer or cosmetics.

😎

Chards

6 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Specification

Metal Gold
Diameter 19.3mm
Weight / Size Half
Date 2022
Country United Kingdom

These are from https://www.chards.co.uk/2022-gold-half-sovereign-uncirculated-coin/15696

All dates are the same.

Discoloration:

😎

Go on have a guess 😁

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

I’d probably say that it’s genuine. It’s difficult to say for sure without weighing it but obviously then you’d have to take it out of the mount to do that.

But it is worn and seems to be a 1907 London mint due to the lack of mint mark.

Having said that and as you’ve already said, the sentiment of it matters more to you which is nice.

33 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Specification

Metal Gold
Diameter 19.3mm
Weight / Size Half
Date 2022
Country United Kingdom

All dates are the same.

Discoloration:

😎

@LawrenceChard @James32 @jackflash123 @Foster88

Thanks for your responses.. unfortunately i dont have scales to weigh it. As stated in OP it is 20mm in diameter including the mount (but not including the fancy ringy thingymabobs) so by my mind that would rule out a full sov. 

Im guessing u guys will have probably had experience of getting coins assessed at jewellers and pawnbrokers. Do they tend to charge for the service? As i have no intention of selling it unless im proper on my arse. Im happy to pay its just nice to know before i take it to one.. 

This forum is amazing!

Thank u all so much

Just now, Murphy1986 said:

Thanks for your responses.. unfortunately i dont have scales to weigh it. As stated in OP it is 20mm in diameter including the mount (but not including the fancy ringy thingymabobs) so by my mind that would rule out a full sov. 

Im guessing u guys will have probably had experience of getting coins assessed at jewellers and pawnbrokers. Do they tend to charge for the service? As i have no intention of selling it unless im proper on my arse. Im happy to pay its just nice to know before i take it to one.. 

This forum is amazing!

Thank u all so much

Pretend you want to sell the coin rather than asking them to assess it.

If they think you want to sell they will automatically verify if its real and do whatever checks are possible without damaging or taking the coin out of the mount.

That's how I would approach this particular situation. After they give you a valuation you can thank them and say you will think about their offer for a few days or whatever 👍

It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning - Henry Ford

The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why - Mark Twain

10 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

It's better to help someone to learn and work it out, than to simply dispense the answer evrey time.

😎

If i had scales i wouldve weighed it before posting, as i understand from our previous discussions regarding the crowns my mate at work owns, that the more info i can give, the more accurate the answers i receive. 

But thanks for your time. I appreciate it.

3 minutes ago, Murphy1986 said:

This forum is amazing!

Thank u all so much

@LawrenceChard has seen more sovereigns than you and I and the rest of the forum have had hot dinners.

8 minutes ago, jackflash123 said:

Pretend you want to sell the coin rather than asking them to assess it.

If they think you want to sell they will automatically verify if its real and do whatever checks are possible without damaging or taking the coin out of the mount.

That's how I would approach this particular situation. After they give you a valuation you can thank them and say you will think about their offer for a few days or whatever 👍

This I like!! Thank you! 

Just now, Murphy1986 said:

This I like!! Thank you! 

Just seems like a really simple and free way of getting your item valued. The pawn shop or jewellers will also have an opportunity to practice their precious metals verification techniques lol 😆 

10 minutes ago, jackflash123 said:

Just seems like a really simple and free way of getting your item valued. The pawn shop or jewellers will also have an opportunity to practice their precious metals verification techniques lol 😆 

Everyones a winner! 😂😂

10 minutes ago, Murphy1986 said:

Everyones a winner! 😂😂

You said it mate 👍

I must point out if you visit any dealers in Blackpool then you must ask them to verify the coin for you, and offer to pay any fees they deem necessary.

The above mentioned shenanigans are not strictly ethical 🤣

Edited by jackflash123

22 minutes ago, jackflash123 said:

I must point out if you visit any dealers in Blackpool then you must ask them to verify the coin for you, and offer to pay any fees they deem necessary.

The above mentioned shenanigans are not strictly ethical 🤣

Oh of course.. and i would be happy to pay for such a service.

However, as a yorkshireman, i dont like to venture over to the 'wrong' side of the Pennines unless its absolutely imperative.

I will probably go to a big brand jeweller or pawnbroker cos i wont feel as bad wasting their time 😂

22 minutes ago, James32 said:

Unlikely tbh..I'm 32st😁

Is that what the 32 in 'James32' stands for? Or is that the amount of hoovers u have running at any one time? 😉 

I am fairly new to the forum but i have noticed a few 'patterns'  if u will.

Edited by Murphy1986

25 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

It's better to help someone to learn and work it out, than to simply dispense the answer evrey time.

😎

"Give a man a fish" feed him for a day.

"Teach a man to fish" and you have infuriated his wife and cost the family thousands in reels and designer wellingtons p😁

I like to buy the pre-dip dip