• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Information on gold coin

Guybrush

Hi All,

Today I've been given a gold coin and I believe it to be genuine (I may have to do a specific gravity test) but I cannot find any information about the coin at all.  I've found \ copper/nickel version of the coin here https://en.ucoin.net/coin/isle_of_man-1-crown-1996/?tid=56372 

This coin though appears to be gold and on my scales comes in at 6.23 so within what I would expect for 1/5th crown (assuming a crown is 1oz gold)  I have no idea but other than this coin above I cannot find any gold version or any information about it at all so I thought I would see if anyone here knows anything about it.

It does appear to be a proof

image1 (24).jpeg

image0 (61).jpeg

15 minutes ago, Guybrush said:

Hi All,

Today I've been given a gold coin and I believe it to be genuine (I may have to do a specific gravity test) but I cannot find any information about the coin at all.  I've found \ copper/nickel version of the coin here https://en.ucoin.net/coin/isle_of_man-1-crown-1996/?tid=56372 

This coin though appears to be gold and on my scales comes in at 6.23 so within what I would expect for 1/5th crown (assuming a crown is 1oz gold)  I have no idea but other than this coin above I cannot find any gold version or any information about it at all so I thought I would see if anyone here knows anything about it.

It does appear to be a proof

I presume you did a Google search.

What text did you use?

😎

Chards

1 minute ago, LawrenceChard said:

I presume you did a Google search.

What text did you use?

😎

Of course, I've tried all combinations of "gold", "Isle of man", "Sir Francis Drake", "Golden Hind", "1/5" added dates etc.  The only coin I was able to find was the 1 crown coin above.  I've even been scrolling through an image search but this coin does not show.

I also found this silver version:

https://images.app.goo.gl/X95PMrVoDuk7cSD27

Good luck with your research 👍

Mankind’s two greatest enemies are the state and central banks - Jeff Berwick

It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning - Henry Ford

The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why - Mark Twain

38 minutes ago, Guybrush said:

Of course, I've tried all combinations of "gold", "Isle of man", "Sir Francis Drake", "Golden Hind", "1/5" added dates etc.  The only coin I was able to find was the 1 crown coin above.  I've even been scrolling through an image search but this coin does not show.

This was my search string:

1996 manx gold fifth crown coin 1/5th isle of man drake golden hind

with the most relevant (IMO) words on the left, I then added more words.

I would also have included a full textual description in your topic / thread.

I failed to find much more than you, although did you search through numista?

So many mints, and coin marketing companies have been churning out new issue coins for the past quarter century, that it is not surprising that they cannot all be found easily.

There would originally have been a certificate or other info with it, which someone has probably discarded.

You could buy a printed catalogue such as Krause Coins of the World, but these are not cheap, and even they will have omitted some coins.

Free online catalogues such as Numista are good, but compiled by enthusiastic amateurs, and are probably under-funded.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

It happened several times for me to not be able to find informations about a coin. Not because the coin does not exist, just because nobody was interested on the moment of issue to register that new coin in a data base.

I am very sure that your coin is genuine. 

I would compare the dimensions with another coins with the same denominations issued by Pobjoy Mint. I am sure they have used the same types of blancs for all their coins 1/5oz gold 999.9.

I have attached a link on Numista about similar 1/5oz made by Pobjoy Mint:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.php?e=ile_de_man&r=1%2F5+crown&ct=coin&im1=&im2=&tb=y&tc=y&tn=y&tp=y&tt=y&cat=y&ru=&ca=3&no=&v=&i=&b=&d=&u=&a=&dg=&m=&f=&t=&w=&mt=&g=&se=

As you can see, all of them are 6.22g, 22mm diameter.

Check the diameter of your coin. If it is 22mm, with the weight of 6.23g on your scale, I am sure that everything is alright. 

From my experience, these types of coins are bought usually for melting or stacking, at a very basic spot value, with an extrinsic value going to zero.