• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1868 Gold Dollar, Ebay Purchase, Fake

I recently purchase the aforementioned coin, receiving it today. The seller provided poor quality pictures which made me suspicious, but the coin appeared to be potentially lustrous. He was also selling a number of other small gold coins, 1/10 Kruger, 1 rand, 10 Kroner etc. he had good feedback for some of these small coins which led me to try my luck with this purchase.

Unfortunately, I’m quite confident it is a fake. The first thing I noticed was the nice luster over the worn detail. At this point I was thinking the best outcome may be whizzed. Although it seemed likely fake.

A quick search for examples of fakes appeared to show tell tale signs. 
a very useful NGC article showed a known sign of fakes in the form of a long depression between the E and the S. 

optimistically hoping this could be a die crack or something legitimate, the line doesn’t exactly match the position in the NGC example, and rather than a depression, seemed raised. Although the fact that it is present right between the E and S seems to be quite damning?

the next issue, which just kills all hope for me, is the strange large dimple on the bust pictured in the photo used by NGC to depict a classic fake. 

Looking at the rest of the coin, it has sharp rough edges on the rim, and the edge side of coin has very weak reeding. Difficult to picture the edge but I have tried nevertheless. It also has some small dimples in the fields that I could not clearly show in the photos.

so, could anyone confirm what I already know, this is fake right?

at first glance it looks legit. Upon closer inspection it disappoints. The luster fooled me. Live and learn. I guess you can produce luster with an entirely fakes coin from scratch right? According to NGC, counterfeiters were purchasing double eagle bullion at near melt, and producing 20 fake dollar coins from it with exactly correct composition…

C719BCB2-6A73-4953-85B3-8EBF21071A62.jpeg

AC167220-8546-42E9-AC3E-1E6DCAA9A5A0.jpeg

2FCEAF0E-B6AA-4C47-9183-89B9F269294A.png

70910F46-92CE-40DD-B16C-C9B1E016DF8A.jpeg

1E4FC0B6-B16D-4157-A657-7AA8CE81BC43.jpeg

8176F1D6-6BFA-4D7C-9C49-B7F657F21373.jpeg

Cheers James. I've seen Scaffstackers. It is a lovely coin in a cool retro holder.

There are many pics available. I am just wondering whether someone with more experience might yet give reason for it being potentially genuine, although it seems rather doubtful. 

56 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

1868 Gold Dollar, Ebay Purchase, Fake

I recently purchase the aforementioned coin, receiving it today. The seller provided poor quality pictures which made me suspicious, but the coin appeared to be potentially lustrous. He was also selling a number of other small gold coins, 1/10 Kruger, 1 rand, 10 Kroner etc. he had good feedback for some of these small coins which led me to try my luck with this purchase.

Unfortunately, I’m quite confident it is a fake. The first thing I noticed was the nice luster over the worn detail. At this point I was thinking the best outcome may be whizzed. Although it seemed likely fake.

A quick search for examples of fakes appeared to show tell tale signs. 
a very useful NGC article showed a known sign of fakes in the form of a long depression between the E and the S. 

optimistically hoping this could be a die crack or something legitimate, the line doesn’t exactly match the position in the NGC example, and rather than a depression, seemed raised. Although the fact that it is present right between the E and S seems to be quite damning?

the next issue, which just kills all hope for me, is the strange large dimple on the bust pictured in the photo used by NGC to depict a classic fake. 

Looking at the rest of the coin, it has sharp rough edges on the rim, and the edge side of coin has very weak reeding. Difficult to picture the edge but I have tried nevertheless. It also has some small dimples in the fields that I could not clearly show in the photos.

so, could anyone confirm what I already know, this is fake right?

at first glance it looks legit. Upon closer inspection it disappoints. The luster fooled me. Live and learn. I guess you can produce luster with an entirely fakes coin from scratch right? According to NGC, counterfeiters were purchasing double eagle bullion at near melt, and producing 20 fake dollar coins from it with exactly correct composition…

Aren't the words Ebay and Fake, in the same sentence, a prime example of tautology?

😎

Chards

Theses are old but very very useful….

https://www.money.org/uploads/Counterfeit Detection Vol.2.pdf

https://www.money.org/uploads/Counterfeit Detection Vol.1.pdf

Ebay…..I am afraid it really isn’t a great place to buy for many many reasons.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 hour ago, dicker said:

Theses are old but very very useful….

https://www.money.org/uploads/Counterfeit Detection Vol.2.pdf

https://www.money.org/uploads/Counterfeit Detection Vol.1.pdf

Ebay…..I am afraid it really isn’t a great place to buy for many many reasons.

Best

Dicker

Including many many fakes?

😎

Chards

With these old coins from over sea’s I try to stick to graded coins you can verify, 

looking at mine it doesn’t have the bump on the lower neck or anything wrong with the e or the s thankfully,

also I can see a fully serrated edge on my ms61 coin as it has a clear slab unfortunately I’m using a older iPhone currently so closer pics may not help,

these coins are heavily faked and American eBay is awash with them starting at stupidly low prices, 

and then you go a bit further back into the gold rush era with California fractionals and it’s even worse as jewellers produced them (25c, 50c) as change for these $1dollar coins as the country was awash with gold at the time, 

it’s a bit of a dodgey territory and best sticking to the graded examples I’m probably going to keep mine and get it graded by ngc and with a bit of conservation I hope it comes back higher than ms61 as it’s a old green holder pcgs slab currently and will go great with my ngc ms64 25c cal frac,

I hope you get sorted and it works out for you.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts. Many thanks guys. I understand it is not easy to form an opinion on photos, particularly ones that aren't high res.

The coin is so lustrous that I want it to be genuine. Part of me is thinking get it submitted and see what happens. My more sensible side is telling me to contact seller and begin the return process. I guess what should be taken from this is that luster does not indicate authenticity since die struck fakes are going to produce luster. And a sign of this is good luster over missing/weak detail?... I think...

Found this also. Apparently the "ghost I" in America is a dead give away.  - https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=415666

At least I have learned a number of red flags associated with these coins. 

Hopefully the seller won't try and pass this on once I return it.. 

1 hour ago, SilverJacks said:

Found this also. Apparently the "ghost I" in America is a dead give away.  - https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=415666

At least I have learned a number of red flags associated with these coins. 

Hopefully the seller won't try and pass this on once I return it.. 

I wouldn't bet against it!

😎

Chards

• 2 years later...