• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

24k Jewellery- Special Process

dicker

Hi All

I am bombarded on Twitter by this company.

https://mene.com/

24k Jewellery.  I mailed them to ask why they make jewellery in 24k when it wears.  Their reply was that….

”We have a process that hardens 24k Gold”

Really?  I didn’t think it was possible to anneal 24k gold or make it harder.

Am I wrong?

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 hour ago, dicker said:

Hi All

24k Jewellery.  I mailed them to ask why they make jewellery in 24k when it wears.  Their reply was that….

Am I wrong?

Best

Dicker

Without even looking at their website, I think you are about right, and that their process is:

Special Hardening Internet Technology, better known by its acronym.

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, dicker said:

Hi All

Am I wrong?

Best

Dicker

3 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Without even looking at their website, I think you are about right, and that their process is:

Special Hardening Internet Technology, better known by its acronym.

😎

You might find this interesting:

https://www.lbma.org.uk/wonders-of-gold/items/properties-of-gold-hardness

Some years ago, I read in Aurum Magazine about a hardenable 99% (fine gold) alloy. I can't quickly find it now, but this amy be relevant:

J. S. Afr. Inst Min. Metal/., vol. 89, no. 6.
Jun. 1989. pp. 173-181.
The development of 990 gold-titanium,
and its production, use, and properties
by G. GAFNER*
SYNOPSIS
The paper gives the reasons for the development of a gold alloy of 990 fineness with good colour, durability,
and mechanical properties, and explains why titanium was chosen as the alloying metal.
Methods are described for the alloy's production, solutionizing, and age-hardening. Mechanical properties are
given as a function of deformation, age-hardening time, and temperature for three different starting states, and
these properties are compared with those of some standard 14 and 18 ct jewellery alloys and pure gold.
The effects of various salts and fluxes on the composition of the alloy after heat treatment at 1150, 800, and
500°C are discussed. These indicate how alloy scrap can be refined to pure gold, and how solutionizing and agehardening can be conducted without the use of vacuum equipment.
The results of wear tests indicate that the alloy is more durable than normal coinage and jewellery alloys. Tips
are given on the grain refining, soldering, and casting of the alloy.
😎

Chards

• 3 weeks later...

A piece of gold 24ct can be soft or hard, depends how jeweller 's desire is.

1. Soft remains after is red hot and cooled down, without other forces applied after (hammer, roller, ect.). After heating the metal to red, all the molecules in the internal structure of the metal are rearranged in their natural position. There is no extra tension, so the gold remains soft.

2. The metal remains strong, if a strike force or other pressure has been applied to the gold piece (hammer, roller, ect), after repeated heating and cooling processes. The molecules in the internal structure remain tense and pressed against each other, in different directions, so a nanomolecular tension force is formed that strengthens pure gold.

I have never tried to check my theory, but I am sure that a casted gold bar it is softer than a stamped gold bar.

3 minutes ago, SilverStorm said:

Interesting topic!   But a hardened 24 karat can’t possibly be as hard or as durable as a 22 karat can it?   🤔   Can anyone shed any light?

I've seen time ago a video on youtube about this. I will try to find it.

26 minutes ago, SilverStorm said:

Interesting topic!   But a hardened 24 karat can’t possibly be as hard or as durable as a 22 karat can it?   🤔   Can anyone shed any light?

Ancient people from my country, dacians from the big people of thracians, used to have very beautiful jewellery, made from the purest gold possible 2000 years ago, probably between 23ct and 24ct. They used to purify their gold panned from rivers or extracted from mountains using cupellation. So, small traces of silver for sure remains in composition. But very close to 24ct.

All of them look to be hammered. And still wearable after more than 2000years.😊

Here I have attached few pictures:

3619c0f06219bde9a55c3f2bc647bece (1).jpg

R (17).jpeg

OIP (39).jpeg

Dacian_Gold_Bracelet_at_the_National_Museum_of_Romanian_History_2011_-_6.jpg

OIP (40).jpeg

OIP (41).jpeg

OIP (42).jpeg

OIP (43).jpeg

OIP (44).jpeg

Annealing, which is heat treatment to relieve deformed crystallisation, will soften metal.

Work hardening, which happens when bending and forcing the gold into a desired shape, say during the manufacture of jewellery, will harden the metal.

Hardness is relative though, and work hardened 24ct gold is still softer than annealed 22ct gold.

image.png.eb41e709836945e76e21eeb45a6a99e3.png

Above table, and a lot more info, copied from here: https://www.911metallurgist.com/blog/gold-alloys-properties