• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Are these high prices from antique shop?

Slam

Morning, 

Notice some old silver coins in my local antique shop. Wondering if these are good prices? Seems high to me though, the crown 1937 looks in good nick but charging £30 each.

What you think?

Thanks

Screenshot 2022-03-14 08.59.46.png

If the 1937’s are currency issues and Uncirculated then £25 to £30 is fair in my opinion.

Looks to be on the large side, so likely it’s not - but if that’s a Silver Sovereign case then that’s an interesting item 😃 

The pair of pot Dogs look great together too- a hunting pair, all you need is a Hound and a Terrier and your in business 👍 

7 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

If the 1937’s are currency issues and Uncirculated then £25 to £30 is fair in my opinion.

Looks to be on the large side, so likely it’s not - but if that’s a Silver Sovereign case then that’s an interesting item 😃 

The pair of pot Dogs look great together too- a hunting pair, all you need is a Hound and a Terrier and your in business 👍 

Thanks for feedback, will go for another look. Some further close up, any of the other coins and their prices are fair or high?

Screenshot 2022-03-14 09.38.40.png

Screenshot 2022-03-14 09.39.09.png

16 minutes ago, Slam said:

Thanks for feedback, will go for another look. Some further close up, any of the other coins and their prices are fair or high?

I’m not sure on the remainder- I chiefly concentrate on Crowns.   Perhaps @matt1r or @DuncanWylieWilson might be able to help.

You need a book.  This is perhaps the best way to help yourself is to buy a good book- below from Spink, Coins of England 2020.  The price guide from left to right is: Fair; VF, EF & Bu. 

For example- there are two varieties of the 1889- and a huge disparity in prices- so for that particular coin it could be a bargain- or not!  and also, the grades the dealer has attributed might not be accurate.  

8F57CF8E-AA89-4085-88E4-44C066901A09.jpeg

2 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

I’m not sure on the remainder- I chiefly concentrate on Crowns.   Perhaps @matt1r or @DuncanWylieWilson might be able to help.

You need a book.  This is perhaps the best way to help yourself is to buy a good book- below from Spink, Coins of England 2020.  The price guide from left to right is: Fair; VF, EF & Bu. 

For example- there are two varieties of the 1889- and a huge disparity in prices- so for that particular coin it could be a bargain- or not!  and also, the grades the dealer has attributed might not be accurate.  

8F57CF8E-AA89-4085-88E4-44C066901A09.jpeg

Thank you sir. Much appreciate your effort. Im Learning something new everyday 😁

I agree with what’s been said here already. Grading is subjective, and therefore price. It’s generally the case that antique shops charge higher prices on most items, not just coins. Then again, there are always outliers.

If a 1937 crown is fully uncirculated then £30 is a very much normal price. Has to be a nice one. It’s generally easy to tell with these types. 

As @richatthecroft points out a good book is usually a good place to start.

Cheers!

Duncan.

"INDIVIDUAL AMBITION SERVES THE COMMON GOOD." – Adam Smith

⚜️ Sub-Forum https://www.thesilverforum.com/forum/144-wilson-numismatics-uk/

Instagram_logo_2016_svg.png.0244211e338af7f899b5e071b205d306.png Instagram https://www.instagram.com/wilsonnumismatics/

🕸 Website https://worldgold.co.uk

53 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

It's an antique shop, haggle. They do it on all these antique shows on the telly!😁

😁I did haggle and felt content with the price in the end but abit over budget but there was a nice lady and the gentleman that was selling the coins was a collector since he was a young boy so I felt rude to walk away with nothing after they let me fondle with their coins. Walked away with some per 1947 half crowns at £4 a pop (Asking £5, how did I do?). They had a nice proof 1935 crown but didn't purchase.  

3 hours ago, matt1r said:

I’d be curious to see more of the EF 1887 double florin.

Grading is subjective too I’ve seen EF that are damn near unc and some that are covered in hairlines with considerable wear.

At a glance the prices seem a tad heavy but not unrealistic.

Pictures attached. 

Really interesting day. Abit overwhelming I must say with all the history. 

Also there was some interesting pieces like the 1887 crown and the 1891 coin, they were converted to badges or something. It had a brooch pin melted on the back of the coins to make it a badge? I assume people would wear these on their uniforms back in the day?

18 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

Is that a 2xsovereign case back left? 🧐

Wasn't interested in anything but the coins so didn't ask to look, lol. Will do next time though if still there. 

Found a really nice US coin set too. Never thought I be visiting antique shops to be honest but its been really enjoyable on this sunny day. 🤣

1 minute ago, Slam said:

😁I did haggle and felt content with the price in the end but abit over budget but there was a nice lady and the gentleman that was selling the coins was a collector since he was a young boy so I felt rude to walk away with nothing after they let me fondle with their coins. Walked away with some per 1947 half crowns at £4 a pop (Asking £5, how did I do?). They had a nice proof 1935 crown but didn't purchase.  

Pictures attached. 

Really interesting day. Abit overwhelming I must say with all the history. 

Also there was some interesting pieces like the 1887 crown and the 1891 coin, they were converted to badges or something. It had a brooch pin melted on the back of the coins to make it a badge? I assume people would wear these on their uniforms back in the day?

Wasn't interested in anything but the coins so didn't ask to look, lol. Will do next time though if still there. 

Found a really nice US coin set too. Never thought I be visiting antique shops to be honest but its been really enjoyable on this sunny day. 🤣

Screenshot 2022-03-14 14.26.17.png

Screenshot 2022-03-14 14.25.58.png

Screenshot 2022-03-14 14.25.20.png

Screenshot 2022-03-14 14.25.08.png

14 minutes ago, matt1r said:

The double florin certainly looks nice from afar if you get a chance I’d be interested in that and clearer pictures 👍

No problem, I will have a look next time and take more photos and will try get a video too. Will let you know 👍