• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Johnson Matthey 1lb/16oz, 9990 Fine Silver Bar, Ref. 6603 A, with Box. Advice Please!

timsk

2 hours ago, timsk said:

I have a friend who owns a silver bar - as per the thread title - which was bought by his late father in 1968. One of the pics shows the original receipt and is the only mention of the bar's unusual weight, which does not appear anywhere on the bar itself. I suspect it may have collector value - not least because I've done an extensive search and can't find anything similar. The information that I have is as follows . . .

Bar dimensions: 84mm x 34mm x 15mm.

Wooden box dimensions: 104mm x 58mm x  34mm excluding the external ribs.

JM_Silver_Front.jpg

I can't help you about the bar, but I can tell you that Mayfair Coin Company was owned and run by Harold Melzack, and was in Cork Street, London, close to New Bond Street.

He / they once sent a solicitor's letter to a minor Blackpool competitor Bond Street Coins, alleging "passing off", even though Mayfair Coins was not in Bond Street, but Bond Street Coins was!

Chards

1 minute ago, LawrenceChard said:

I can't help you about the bar, but I can tell you that Mayfair Coin Company was owned and run by Harold Melzack, and was in Cork Street, London, close to New Bond Street.

He / they once sent a solicitor's letter to a minor Blackpool competitor Bond Street Coins, alleging "passing off", even though Mayfair Coins was not in Bond Street, but Bond Street Coins was!

Lawrence whilst  have your mind in a thoughtful frame.....what the heck does CML stand for in the bullion ( I know it was assayed in Sheffield) but can't work out the cml part or if they no longer exist.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

16 minutes ago, James32 said:

Lawrence whilst  have your mind in a thoughtful frame.....what the heck does CML stand for in the bullion ( I know it was assayed in Sheffield) but can't work out the cml part or if they no longer exist.

I can't see anywhere that says "CML", only "JMC", which would stand for Johnson Matthey and Company, possibly (unlikely) Johnson Matthey Chemicals.

Chards

3 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I can't see anywhere that says "CML", only "JMC", which would stand for Johnson Matthey and Company, possibly (unlikely) Johnson Matthey Chemicals.

These bars 

Screenshot_20220206-174835_Chrome.jpg

50 minutes ago, James32 said:

These bars 

Screenshot_20220206-174835_Chrome.jpg

I couldn't find the listing you showed, but I did find a similar listing by searching for the seller "call07966159537". This sounds like he is trying to get buyers to contact him direct to circumvent ebay seller fees. 

He does state the make as "Umicore", but I can't connect them with CML, and don't remember any CML make / company. How the seller knows they are Umicore, I don't know.

You could try asking the seller, but good luck with that.

There are published lists of assay office sponsors marks which you might be able to search.

Chards

No I'm not buying lol.

just used that pic for illustration, I know they were assayed in Sheffield by the hallmark and 100% authentic ( I have one)I assume no longer made but what CML stands for is a mystery. 

20 minutes ago, James32 said:

No I'm not buying lol.

just used that pic for illustration, I know they were assayed in Sheffield by the hallmark and 100% authentic ( I have one)I assume no longer made but what CML stands for is a mystery. 

@LawrenceChard

i have tried to find out who the maker of these Sheffield bars is - who CLM is. I've never been able to work it out. There is a Construction Marine Ltd in Sheffield which does civil engineering but i can't find anything that did silver bars. As i understand it they have gone out of business and the bars were picked up by Silvertrader.uk and marked up as Albion silver bars.

Lot-Art | Fully marked CML fine silver 999 1kg silver bullion bar2021 Albion® 100 Gram Trademarked 999 Silver Bullion Bar | Silver bullion, Silver  bullion coins, Silver

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

9 minutes ago, sixgun said:

@LawrenceChard

i have tried to find out who the maker of these Sheffield bars is - who CLM is. I've never been able to work it out. There is a Construction Marine Ltd in Sheffield which does civil engineering but i can't find anything that did silver bars. As i understand it they have gone out of business and the bars were picked up by Silvertrader.uk and marked up as Albion silver bars.

Lot-Art | Fully marked CML fine silver 999 1kg silver bullion bar2021 Albion® 100 Gram Trademarked 999 Silver Bullion Bar | Silver bullion, Silver  bullion coins, Silver

Thanks....its a mystery, plenty available still today on the secondary market but must have went out of business a fair while ago considering how little information available. 

As far as the Mayfair Coin Company / Johnson Matthey bar - yes they are 1 lb weight so 453.6g. They came in a plastic bag in this amateur looking wooden box - the ones i have seen were 1969. The year being marked like this in what appears to be black felt pen.
They are a collector bar. What you might get for one is anyone's guess. Some days it would be more than others. The actual silver spot price is £242.55 - i would expect at least twice that price for such a bar, personally i might go a bit more.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Thanks everyone for your replies and interesting observations - much appreciated.

One thing that I hoped someone might comment on is the 6603 A serial number. At least, I assume that's what it is? Presumably, somewhere, there are records of all JM bars produced and this number will help identify when, where and how many were made etc. Also, the records might hint at what could have happened to all the others in the edition (if that's the right term?), as you'd think Google images would throw up one or two lookalikes. That there is virtually no information about it, other than that stamped on the bar itself and shown on the receipt, surprises me. 

If anyone is interested in making an offer for it, please contact me via PM.

Thanks again. 

Edited by timsk
typo