• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What's with the crazy prices!

arcticfox

So like anyone stacking/collecting and maybe looking for a bargain i scroll through ebay for pre 47/20 coins and the price there carrying is mental see below as a an EG.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124178917991?hash=item1ce9a3ea67:g:bPUAAOSwKQNfQbHU

SOOOO 50% silver so works out at £28 an Oz scrap value on that listing and a lot are very much the same.

Any I missing something or do people actually pay this?

Ta

J

eBay is full off madness. If you're in the right place at the right time (especially if the person listing used the wrong category title) there are still bargains to be had but on the whole prices tend to get pushed up. It could be the way an online auction invites compulsive behaviour in a lot of people (a bit like gambling) or it could be "the fear of missing out" for those that are hearing about PMs recently but have yet to fall into the rabbit hole that leads to places like TSF.

Who knows. My advice would be that if the lot you're viewing is genuinely scrap only (not all are) only put down your max bid of spot -x% and walk away. 

There have been a few members on TSF recently selling bulk lots of pre-'47 and pre-'20 coins for spot value or less, it's worth doing some searching to see if the listings are still active.

When they have seller promotions- like £1 selling fees you'll see more coins come up, and might be able to get a better deal. Unforetunatly, the rest of the time eBay and PayPal take over 10% of the selling price so not all the premium is for the seller. 

"eBay is full of madness" 😄

Edited by harrygill111

19 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

eBay is full off madness. If you're in the right place at the right time (especially if the person listing used the wrong category title) there are still bargains to be had but on the whole prices tend to get pushed up. It could be the way an online auction invites compulsive behaviour in a lot of people (a bit like gambling) or it could be "the fear of missing out" for those that are hearing about PMs recently but have yet to fall into the rabbit hole that leads to places like TSF.

Who knows. My advice would be that if the lot you're viewing is genuinely scrap only (not all are) only put down your max bid of spot -x% and walk away. 

There have been a few members on TSF recently selling bulk lots of pre-'47 and pre-'20 coins for spot value or less, it's worth doing some searching to see if the listings are still active.

Yeah your right, a lot of greed from sellers as well.

I'm after acclimating a few KG in these but not at these prices.

5 minutes ago, harrygill111 said:

You're better off on the forum, or buying second hand stuff from dealers (not quite as good as the forum) 

Most of my stuff is from here but just looking at random sources as well for top ups :) and hopefully a cheeky bargain.

I've had more success with pre-47 coins buying small lots or individual coins. I've had a fair amount of spot or thereabouts deals on coins that are in decent condition (gvf or better) whereas any time I've put a bid in for a bulk lot 99.999% of the time the bidding goes into "I'd like to view the coins before buying" territory. 

It may be worth loading up on bidding to the max amount you were going to spend but spread it over a load of listings. Step back and wait for the notifications.

It depends, if you're specifically looking for nice crowns etc you might get some coming up at large % premiums. I tend to buy bulk lots 2+ kgs at a time and usually pay spot at most, haven't looked on ebay. Keep an eye on the forum and other sites, another dealer that advertises bulk lots for sale is https://www.malcolmelliscoins.co.uk/investment-silver-lots-for-sale.html  (I have not bought from them though has anyone on the forum dealt with them?) 

46 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

It depends, if you're specifically looking for nice crowns etc you might get some coming up at large % premiums. I tend to buy bulk lots 2+ kgs at a time and usually pay spot at most, haven't looked on ebay. Keep an eye on the forum and other sites, another dealer that advertises bulk lots for sale is https://www.malcolmelliscoins.co.uk/investment-silver-lots-for-sale.html  (I have not bought from them though has anyone on the forum dealt with them?) 

Thanks for the link. Where the hell do people get all these coins. 

It's crazy to me 

36 minutes ago, arcticfox said:

Thanks for the link. Where the hell do people get all these coins. 

It's crazy to me 

Just start accumulating collections I suppose, I bought around 500 half crowns in December that came from 3 different lots, there were other lots of mixed coins on the forum though that I didn't buy. A lot of the very good deals tend to sell quite quick on the forum just depends who comes online I suppose and also you never know what will come up for sale