• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Authenticity of 1911 £5 Coin

thanasis

Hello forum!

I was recently offered a 1911 £5 Sovereign from a private seller, who also sent me the photos.

I am not an expert, but with my limited experience I think it is real, although a bit worn on the highest points.

Can you please offer your knowledge on this piece?

1. Obverse.png

2. Reverse.png

This looks genuine to me.  I’m afraid I am away from home this evening so can’t do my usual which is compare against a photo from @LawrenceChard’s site in detail. 

The fields look good, as do the letters, numerals and denticles. It looks somewhat “shiny” but that might be the photography.  The strike is not wonderful but the one I have seen before was similar.

Happy to be wrong (as ever) but it looks fine to me, on my iPhone!

(Mr Chard is kind enough to allow the occasional use of his images with attribution this - thank you!)

All the best to you

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

23 minutes ago, dicker said:

This looks genuine to me.  I’m afraid I am away from home this evening so can’t do my usual which is compare against a photo from @LawrenceChard’s site in detail. 

The fields look good, as do the letters, numerals and denticles. It looks somewhat “shiny” but that might be the photography.  The strike is not wonderful but the one I have seen before was similar.

(Mr Chard is kind enough to allow the occasional use of his images with attribution this - thank you!)

All the best to you

Dicker

Its nearly panto season so here goes...Oh no it isn't

4 hours ago, thanasis said:

Hello forum!

I was recently offered a 1911 £5 Sovereign from a private seller, who also sent me the photos.

I am not an expert, but with my limited experience I think it is real, although a bit worn on the highest points.

Can you please offer your knowledge on this piece?

1. Obverse.png

2. Reverse.png

1 hour ago, dicker said:

All the best to you

Dicker

The edge damage on the obverse is surprising for a proof only issue, and the apparent weak striking on the reverse is not exactly auspicious.

You might try asking the seller for provenance, such as who he acquired it from. He probably won't want to tell you unless it is genuine.

I certainly would not buy it on the strength of those photos.

Chards

My first impression was fake, it doesn't look "right".

However, I have never seen one of these and comparing the photos with an original, it doesn't look too bad.

If I had to put my money somewhere, I wouldn't touch it.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

24 minutes ago, thanasis said:

Thank you all for your feedback! Very informative.

@GoldDiggerDave When you say "weak strike" are you referring to the height of the relief in comparison to the fields, thus the overall detail?

I'm no expert or claim to be, the reverse just looks weak, yes low relief, low detail for a proof coin its certainly had a hard life, but theres only so much you can do with photos only.  If you are intending to buy there's nothing wrong at all asking for more photos and do some research into the coin.  The likely price of the coin. (is it too good to be true?) Look at some comparisons online, the left is a 1911 £5 at the London Coin auction yours on the right.  

First time I saw this the dragon looked particularly weak and looks off.   Only my opinion and other will have their own opinions.  Take your time have fun and enjoy the hobby. 

Hope this helps.  

1911.png

1911a.png

That comparison clinches it, 99% fake. The 1% doubt is due to the two photos being a slightly different angles.

It is supposed to be a proof but that doesn't look possible. Again slight doubt due to photographic artefacts.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

The end of the moustache in the comparison for example is telling in my opinion; one is crisp and clear and the other looks likes a very weak strike/copy or has been polished/rubbed (almost like it’s been heavily handled or circulated if real). Seems to be consistent all over the coin and if I had the option to buy it I wouldn’t off these pictures. Even if this ended up being authentic something isn’t right with the weakness of the detail

5 hours ago, Simmoleon said:

The end of the moustache in the comparison for example is telling in my opinion; one is crisp and clear and the other looks likes a very weak strike/copy or has been polished/rubbed (almost like it’s been heavily handled or circulated if real). Seems to be consistent all over the coin and if I had the option to buy it I wouldn’t off these pictures. Even if this ended up being authentic something isn’t right with the weakness of the detail

I've seen many, (won't say "raw") circulation sovereigns where they are over graded the moustache is always the goto point along with the hairline above the temple, the ear is also a good indiction of the wear.  It does get more difficult IMO when they are in the mid  VF,gVF,aEF,EF range, and it's not all about wear theres numerous other factors.