• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Worst coins for milk spotting

18 hours ago, Bigmarc said:

Philharmonics..... Terrible! And why are they a different size to the rest

They made the silver and gold ounces have the same diameter, so the silver are quite thick and the gold are quite thin.

Edited by KevinFlynn

Till now, since 2013 I am only stacking and not selling but if you have coins with milk spotting on, are you screwed ? Are they only good for melting and do you loose all your premiums ? On a normal BU coins that's not nice but on specials, like the Superman coin mentioned in this topic, it is a mot of money.

I watched a video that you can remove them rather easy with a soft eraser, do or don't ?

1 hour ago, Centauri167 said:

Till now, since 2013 I am only stacking and not selling but if you have coins with milk spotting on, are you screwed ? Are they only good for melting and do you loose all your premiums ? On a normal BU coins that's not nice but on specials, like the Superman coin mentioned in this topic, it is a mot of money.

I watched a video that you can remove them rather easy with a soft eraser, do or don't ?

Spotted or not, basic common bullion coins are priced with quite a spread depending on where they are sold, when and the last minute ( eBay panic buyers - sometimes but not always ).
Usually a clean coin will attract a slightly higher price than a marked one but not always; maybe within the difference between 1st and 2nd class postage.
As for special edition and proofs - personally I wouldn't want to pay anything much over regular bullion, so yes the premium can be lost forever.
I had multiple collections of proof Canadian fine silver coins, all certified with fancy box etc., but ended up selling for scrap.
Originally I planned to hold for a long time believing a later generation would see the rarity and history but once the spots appeared that killed it for me.

I now avoid all proof premium silver coins for this very reason.

Trying to remove milkiness with an eraser - impossible to avoid surface damage and fine scratches that will show up but who cares if it is just common bullion ?
A dull, stained Maple or Phillie is an eyesore and is really only worth its weight at spot to a dealer so give it a buff and at least have it looking "precious", nice and shiny !
I have cleaned milk stains by re-polishing the surface using jewellers rouge and a Dremel but if the coin is not highly polished to start with - i.e. a satin finish you will change its appearance which would be very noticeable.
Anything numi or semi numi LEAVE WELL ALONE if you are contemplating selling at a later date as it could loose a lot of its premium if touched.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Spotted or not, basic common bullion coins are priced with quite a spread depending on where they are sold, when and the last minute ( eBay panic buyers - sometimes but not always ).
Usually a clean coin will attract a slightly higher price than a marked one but not always; maybe within the difference between 1st and 2nd class postage.
As for special edition and proofs - personally I wouldn't want to pay anything much over regular bullion, so yes the premium can be lost forever.
I had multiple collections of proof Canadian fine silver coins, all certified with fancy box etc., but ended up selling for scrap.
Originally I planned to hold for a long time believing a later generation would see the rarity and history but once the spots appeared that killed it for me.

Trying to remove milkiness with an eraser - impossible to avoid surface damage and fine scratches that will show up but who cares if it is just common bullion ?
A dull, stained Maple or Phillie is an eyesore and is really only worth its weight at spot to a dealer so give it a buff and at least have it looking "precious", nice and shiny !
I have cleaned milk stains by re-polishing the surface using jewellers rouge and a Dremel but if the coin is not highly polished to start with - i.e. a satin finish you will change its appearance which would be very noticeable.
Anything numi or semi numi LEAVE WELL ALONE if you are contemplating selling at a later date as it could loose a lot of its premium if touched.

100% agree with you comments.

21 minutes ago, Centauri167 said:

Is it so that the Perth mint coins are the safest buy if you don't want milk spotting ?

No silver coins will be free of possible milkspotting..but the Perth mint coins seem to have lesser spotting than most silver coins..their quality control is No:1 in my opinion....Canadian Maples from 2018 onwards have introduced their mintshield protection tech which seems to be reducing spotting significantly....wish they would share their secret with the Royal mint..(No chance) but I believe the RM could invest in their own technology and research and incorporate a mintshield process to improve their coins.....but they won't invest the money and continue to pump out coins with problems...imo they really don't care about their QC, as long as people continue to buy their products with high premiums knowing that we are willing to continue receiving coins that are sent out with spotting scrapes,dents etc....and that we are continually sending back time and time again to be replaced or refunded....We get generic replies and pathetic excuses all the time from the RM! .....why would they invest in technology to eradicate spotting etc, Its going to cost them money..

Until the day when we all say..enough is enough they might listen. But that day will never come because we all continue to buy knowing its a 50/50% chance we will receive a coin in proof condition.

It's like queuing...the English moan about queuing but do not speak out.... and just accept it, its not cricket......😆😆😆😆😆😆

9 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

No silver coins will be free of possible milkspotting..but the Perth mint coins seem to have lesser spotting than most silver coins..their quality control is No:1 in my opinion....Canadian Maples from 2018 onwards have introduced their mintshield protection tech which seems to be reducing spotting significantly....wish they would share their secret with the Royal mint..(No chance) but I believe the RM could invest in their own technology and research and incorporate a mintshield process to improve their coins.....but they won't invest the money and continue to pump out coins with problems...imo they really don't care about their QC, as long as people continue to buy their products with high premiums knowing that we are willing to continue receiving coins that are sent out with spotting scrapes,dents etc....and that we are continually sending back time and time again to be replaced or refunded....We get generic replies and pathetic excuses all the time from the RM! .....why would they invest in technology to eradicate spotting etc, Its going to cost them money..

Until the day when we all say..enough is enough they might listen. But that day will never come because we all continue to buy knowing its a 50/50% chance we will receive a coin in proof condition.

It's like queuing...the English moan about queuing but do not speak out.... and just accept it, its not cricket......😆😆😆😆😆😆

Did not know that all silver coins can get milk spotting, learned something new; not that it is good news ...

Sometimes I think I better stay with gold ...

1 hour ago, Centauri167 said:

Did not know that all silver coins can get milk spotting, learned something new; not that it is good news ...

Sometimes I think I better stay with gold ...

I never experienced milk spotting and thought I was immune.

Then some of my Queen's Beasts started to spot, including my Lion 😭

I'm wary of semi collectibles now 😗

It is a real shame that some Mints have on going problems with milk spotting whereas others seem to avoid it.
I am 100% certain that the producers know the cause but someone in the back office, possibly in the finance department, is still flogging a dead horse.
Maybe the domestic equivalent is to replenish your dishwater rather than get the last few plates washed in dirty water ?

If I read these comments, the Royal Mint is really bad ... Has it the same bad quality for golden coins or are they better in the quality department ?

Next month I will change my bank vault, till now I never had one coin with milk spotting on, I hope I will not have a bad surprise when looking at my older ( from 2013 ) coins ...

The Canadian Maples are really bad for milk spotting (pre-2018). However, the RCM started treating the 2019-2021??? maples with a solution to prevent the milk spots. To be honest though, haven’t checked my maples of those dates since getting them. No idea how long the treatment is supposed to last though.

Found it...

[OTTAWA, ONTARIO – FEBRUARY 2, 2018 – The Royal Canadian Mint is proud to announce that its researchers have developed a proprietary method for reducing the occurrence of white spots on silver bullion coins with a breakthrough innovation called MINTSHIELD™ surface protection. All 2018 Silver Maple Leaf bullion coins incorporate this new technology which, in addition to features such as  BULLION DNA™ anti-counterfeiting technology, laser micro engraving and 99.99% purity, adds yet another layer of quality to one of the world's favourite silver bullion coins.]

So if the RCM has had this milk spot preventative technology since February of 2018, then why haven't other mints coated their .999 fine silver bullion with it or something similar? Is the coating/solution (whatever it is) a secret formula held only by the RCM?

Edited by Junior

24 minutes ago, Junior said:

Found it...

[OTTAWA, ONTARIO – FEBRUARY 2, 2018 – The Royal Canadian Mint is proud to announce that its researchers have developed a proprietary method for reducing the occurrence of white spots on silver bullion coins with a breakthrough innovation called MINTSHIELD™ surface protection. All 2018 Silver Maple Leaf bullion coins incorporate this new technology which, in addition to features such as  BULLION DNA™ anti-counterfeiting technology, laser micro engraving and 99.99% purity, adds yet another layer of quality to one of the world's favourite silver bullion coins.]

So if the RCM has had this milk spot preventative technology since February of 2018, then why have't other mints coated their .999 fine silver bullion with it or something similar? Is the coating/solution (whatever it is) a secret formula held only by the RCM?

I think it is more an issue of a higher cost/ coin. The Perth Mint also has excellent quality, is it the same solution as that of the RCM ? If the Royal Mint keeps selling there coins, even with a lack of quality, why would they make extra costs of improving ? 

Just don't buy the RM coins any more and things will change very soon !

On 10/11/2021 at 09:12, Pete said:

Yeah I've stopped buying the Britannia's☹.  I'll probably buy more when they start eradicating the milkspots. It's Maples🍁 for now, and rarely Eagles because of the Premiums

• 1 month later...