• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Does the box matter?

In my experience, most collectors of slabbed coins don't care about the boxes or COAs.  I even helped a forum member in the UK buy a slabbed coin here in the US, and he had me toss the box and COA, and just ship the slab.  It's understandable, as it can amount to a lot of extra storage.

I am an exception though...I have a strong preference to keep the box, COA, and capsule with my slabbed coins, and I'm definitely willing to pay more for an NGC slab that comes with all of this intact.

Coins in original packaging sell quicker and for more money than just the coin. Numismatically it shouldn't make any difference, the coin is what is being purchased not the material surrounding it. The packaging, though does add a degree of authenticity and can look pretty.

As for slabbed coins - the slab removes the need for extra authenticity so shouldn't make too much of a difference. In some circumstances a slabbed coin will sell for more than an original boxed one.... In my opinion certificates are pretty much meaningless and don't come into play but i'm sure some people would choose a coin being sold with a cert over one that didn't have one.

I have a large carton containing about 20 empty boxes with their certificates from proof gold sovereign and gold Britannia coins and sets I sold a couple of years ago.
A couple of buyers weren't interested and didn't want the boxes.
The bulk went to a dealer in London who wasn't even paying spot for these stunning coins, so I didn't hand over the boxes knowing this dealer would try to re-sale for up to twice the price I was paid. Another mainstream dealer in Birmingham wasn't any better but the boxed sets on their website carry a hefty premium ( making you believe your identical set is worth this ) but they don't give you any premium when buying.
That's my experience but I am sure some will have the opposite.
Private sales are whatever at the time a buyer is willing to pay and you will come across some interesting, often optimistic prices.

55 minutes ago, Silverman2U said:

When collecting proof coins I noticed a few in slabs. NGC. They have a Authenticator number, but there is no box or certificate that came from London mint with coin. 

Is this important in price from a numismatic point? 

Many thanks for peoples feedback here. 
This helps a lot. Many thanks. 

If it is already slabbed then it might depend on the grade. A 70 grade would almost certainly make no difference, other than to those that would see the box/COA as accessories that they deem important to them. 

There has been a recent trend at auctions where 69s sell for less than the raw/boxed coins though. Which means many people would want to crack open the slab and put it back in it's box as raw. If they are doing this to sell on then I think it's unfair unless the future buyer is aware that it won't achieve a 70. Anyway, I think this will happen more often in future and in these circumstances the 69 is going to need its box and COA.

For the most part, box/COA doesn't add any value to a slabbed coin but may open the market up to those that don't like slabs and would want to put it back in its box.

50 minutes ago, Pete said:

I have a large carton containing about 20 empty boxes with their certificates from proof gold sovereign and gold Britannia coins and sets I sold a couple of years ago.
The bulk went to a dealer in London who wasn't even paying spot for these stunning coins, so I didn't hand over the boxes knowing this dealer would try to re-sale for up to twice the price I was paid. Another mainstream dealer in Birmingham wasn't any better but the boxed sets on their website carry a hefty premium ( making you believe your identical set is worth this ) but they don't give you any premium when buying.
Private sales are whatever at the time a buyer is willing to pay and you will come across some interesting, often optimistic prices.

Similar experience.  Personally, I am not into boxes and COA's - they mean nothing to me, but I appreciate some folk want them.

Not my circus, not my monkeys

52 minutes ago, Pete said:

I completely agree with this. The dealers know they will earn more profit with the box instead of selling the coins loose. If they aren't offering any more to you for the boxes then don't donate them.

3 minutes ago, dicker said:

Similar experience.  Personally, I am not into boxes and COA's - they mean nothing to me, but I appreciate some folk want them.

Unless it has a quirky number. I must admit, I'd like a no.1, or even a no.7 on a bond coin. Not sure I'd pay more for it though. Well, maybe a little, but I bet some out there would pay a lot...

4 hours ago, Silverman2U said:

When collecting proof coins I noticed a few in slabs. NGC. They have a Authenticator number, but there is no box or certificate that came from London mint with coin. 

Is this important in price from a numismatic point? 

In a word "NO" now to add to that if it is an NGC PF 70 box cert etc make zero difference to price or authenticity. If the coins are not graded it's nice to have all the OEM packaging & can add to value for certain coins but by no means all coins. I myself have bought lowish value silver  proofs from Australia & just told the dealer to bin cases & certs to keeps postage costs down.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Some people grade their coins and if they get the grade they want then sell the packaging on ebay.

I've seen some original mint packaging going for nearly £100, which I would imagine would pay for the initial grading of the coin.

I can only think of the one reason why someone would buy the packaging and that's to crack open lower grade coins and sell them as raw.

It's like like a whole market has been created as a by-product of people chasing the perfect grade in coins.