• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Bullion Order that Time Forgot! ... What’s the Longest Time You’ve Waited for Delivery?

Today, I received a short email notification from a bullion dealer to inform me that the order I had placed has just been dispatched.

Nothing particularly unusual about that, of course. Although, for more than a few members of the Forum, such news is likely to trigger feelings of warmth, anticipation, excitement and celebration.

In this particular case, however, it’s more a feeling of relief combined with mild trepidation over whether the contents of the package will actually reflect what was originally ordered.

You see, today is Thursday 21st October, 2021 … and this order was placed on 22nd September … 2020!

That’s 12 months and 29 days ago!!

I'm interested to know if anyone can beat such a ridiculous timeframe? And, whether they've managed to do so without having to resort to “releasing the hounds”?

What’s also curious is that this notification coincides with the spot price of silver being almost back to where it was on the original order date. Could there be shenanigans afoot, as well?

I additionally wonder; on the one hand, whether the mostly limited mintage 2020 silver coins that I ordered back then, could still actually be sourced after this amount of time has passed … and on the other, whether the copper rounds that I ordered will actually make an appearance, given how much the price of copper has taken off over the last year or so.

I guess I'll find out shortly! This all makes for a very “interesting” unboxing experience in the not too distant future!

I’m not especially thrilled about the prospect of getting hit with an additional import VAT charge, either. Especially, when this was originally meant to be a final pre-Brexit splurge.

Anyway, the dealer in question rather quaintly expresses hope in their email that I “enjoy the goods” and wants it to be known that they are “grateful for my purchase and the trust shown in them”.

It’s just a pity that they didn’t respond to any of my multiple communications during the last year or so!

NeutronJack

@Paul @Happypanda88

I'm just holding fire on this for now, until I finally take delivery and have had a chance to inspect the contents and determine the extent to which the original order has been fulfilled.

As you might have already guessed, this is not a UK-based dealer.

I’m also interested to see what actions, if any, the dealer will take (has taken) to somehow try to make up for a delay of such epic proportions.

A few extra ounces, by way of an apology, would be nice. But, I’m not holding my breath. The email dispatch notice made no direct reference to the time that has passed since the order was placed.

A quick browse of an independent online selling consumer feedback and review site for the country in question, reveals that I’m not the only one to have experienced delays from this particular dealer.

However, whilst delays of 3-6 months appear to have been quite common during the last year or so, I’ve yet to come across anyone else for whom the 12-month barrier has been broken.

Maybe this entitles me to some form of ‘bullion purchasing endurance’ award … a new milestone badge for TSF perhaps!

NeutronJack

I have head or similar happening to another punter.  The dealer he was dealing with did not reply to chaser emails peculiarly.   There is a good chance it’s the same one…

Of my own choice, I bought a coin from a dealer in Australia and they have been holding until I can get over there. That is now two years but that is my choosing (prefer to collect rather than risk post).

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

17 minutes ago, dicker said:

I have head or similar happening to another punter.  The dealer he was dealing with did not reply to chaser emails peculiarly.   There is a good chance it’s the same one…

Of my own choice, I bought a coin from a dealer in Australia and they have been holding until I can get over there. That is now two years but that is my choosing (prefer to collect rather than risk post).

Best

Dicker

Are you the mystery buyer of the 10kg gold Kangaroo? 🤔

Longest I had to wait was about 4 months last year for the Royal Mint to replace a returned bullion coin made of Platinum that I originally ordered and received in March 2020.  Their customer service was appalling and I had to chase multiple times through multiple channels until I received my replacement.

I'm currently awaiting an order I placed over 5 weeks ago. But they were all pre-order items (except one) and the dealer says I will be notified once everything has arrived. Apparently, some Fuji Cats have gone astray but are expected to be caught sometime in early November. Hopefully in 2021 ! 

This order is my longest time by far.