• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Shall I conserve?

Touvex

Bought this lovely coin recently, been looking it over and I think this could do with conservation - has anyone seen similar marks? I assume this hasn’t been conserved.

Also, I’m starting to think the portrait has been frosted?? Or am I going crazy :)

FDE7E18D-7661-476C-A812-5FF1D98D80EC.jpeg

AF513696-16DA-4053-B895-11564FFB69E6.jpeg

F0BD22AE-0EA7-4E26-AEE5-AFD031B5AF4B.jpeg

847EAF1F-BDCC-47EE-83EC-7A79C8EA0A63.jpeg

C50C504B-A62D-46DA-B2B5-5E85E2B57A58.jpeg

Sorry if I am being thick, but I can’t identify which marks.  Photos through slabs often seem a bit tricky so I cannot quite see the quality of your coin but from what I can see it looks very nice. 

Conservation is a personal choice, I enjoy seeing my coins in their original state, unconserved.  But appreciate that others may want to see their coins in the best possible shape!

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

The first six coins I sent to NGC for grading, four were modern (EIi sovereigns and two older (a Vic and a GV)

I marked all six for conservation as well as grading. The conserved the four modern sovs, but declined and didn't charge for conserving the two oldest.   

11 hours ago, Touvex said:

Bought this lovely coin recently, been looking it over and I think this could do with conservation - has anyone seen similar marks? I assume this hasn’t been conserved.

Also, I’m starting to think the portrait has been frosted?? Or am I going crazy :)

7 hours ago, dicker said:

Sorry if I am being thick, but I can’t identify which marks.  Photos through slabs often seem a bit tricky so I cannot quite see the quality of your coin but from what I can see it looks very nice. 

Conservation is a personal choice, I enjoy seeing my coins in their original state, unconserved.  But appreciate that others may want to see their coins in the best possible shape!

Best

Dicker

Exactly how are you thinking of conserving it?

If this entails using a third party, what exactly do they propose to do?, or is it a "secret" process.

As @dicker says what / which marks?

The portrait does have a nice matt contrast compared with the rather polished looking field, but some of this may be the lighting or the photography.

On a side note, I notice that NGC call it an Australian sovereign, which it is not. Krause does the same, and I suspect PCGS, It is clearly a British or UK sovereign, which happens to have an "S" mintmark from the Sydney Mint in Australia.

I seem to be the only person in the world who has ever noticed or commented on this strange American quirk.

Chards

THansk everyone for the comments.

Maybe it's hard to see on the photos, but as @LawrenceChard said, the field seems really nicely polished with frosting on the portrait, which I've never seen on a bullion sovereign. But the obverse field also has a lot of marks (seems like dirty and not scratches when under a loupe) around the lettering at the edge and in patches. There also seems to a copper spot at the back around the harp.