• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Taking gold coins out of UK on a plane - what forms to complete?

noddycoder

15 hours ago, noddycoder said:

There's currently no IHT in the destination country, although that could change PDQ when the gold price goes to where I think it's going. I'm gifting these now because IMO international travel for the plebs is only going to become more restricted, as pandemic controls morph into climate emergency controls.

Also, I'm sure you're aware of the 7 year rule that any gifts to children are IHT-free if the donor lives 7 years after gifting.

Yes, I'm very aware of IHT having gone through a series of excercises with my accounting and legal firms, including giftings; so well aware of the 7 year rule and most other of IHT implications if mitigating actions are not taken, as you also appear to be doing - on which point I would just add, as you dobtless will know by now - the country of residency of your benificaries will have no correlation to the tax payable within UK - always assuming you are deemed a UK resident yourself, IHT will be payable, albeit tapered in cases below 7 years. 

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

From my experience, I’ve not faced many issues with coins as I can legitimately say that a once ounce gold Brit as legal tender is £100 (for example). 

Gold bars are trickier as they don’t have a denomination. 

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Well, here's what happened on my travels from LHR to the EU destination:

Arrived really early at LHR for the morning flight, self checked-in my large bags and handed them over at the bag drop desk. Went through to security carrying the coins in my shoulder rucksack.

Asked the nice security lady for a private screening of my rucksack as it contained high value coins. She had a chat with her supervisor and ushered me into a private room just off the main hall. I put the coin boxes on the desk, she ran a swap over the boxes, tested the swab and wished me a pleaseant joureny.

Walked to the airside Customs office just around the corner from security, picked up the red phone and said I needed to make a cash declaration. With in 15 minutes a couple of customs officers walked by and led me into a private room. I gave them my pre-filled cash declaration forms. They briefly inspected one of the coin tubes from one of the boxes, stamped my cash dec. form and wished me a pleasant journey.

Got on the plane with no questions asked regarding contents of hand luggage, vaccination/test status or registration forms.

Arrived in EU country, got past passport control, picked up large bags and went through "Red Zone" exit. Approached a customs officer saying I had some goods to delare, was ushered into the customs office, they were expecting my arrival as I had emailed them the previous day. Gave them the EU cash declaration forms. They were super friendly and very interested in the coins. Forms were stamped and I was on my way.

So... ...a huge sigh of relief, everything went smoothly. I took way too much paperwork and documentation with me, almost none of it was asked for. 😊

Edited by noddycoder
sp.

Glad it went well..as for documentation, you can never take too much...it could of gone the other way where you would have been glad of the documents you took...each country is different and each customs and excise agents are different...I think you had a bit of luck on your side getting through both here and your final destination without any hassle...but good to know all went as planned..🙂

3 hours ago, Foster88 said:

That’s good to know it went as well as it could have done.

If it hadn’t, this would have been an option but I still wouldn’t advise this.... 😬

96B3C974-CE21-4494-9680-47C61F86E916.jpeg

I'm sure my hairdresser has a pair of bolt cutters on her just incase 

Just now, modofantasma said:

I'm sure my hairdresser has a pair of bolt cutters on her just incase 

Alright luv I'm just going to do your fringe with the angle grinder, chin up