• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Krugerrand Security Features

Hi all, 

I saw a video on the silver Krugerrand and there was a guy explaining a security feature that the newer Krugerrands have.. the word 'Krugerrand' in microtext behind the springbok's hind foot in the mountains, I go to check this on my silver Krugerrand and sure enough I can just about make out that the text is there. In the comments he then alludes to a second security feature with even smaller text but he doesn't go any further.. I can see that it is near the plant under the springbok's front leg but I can't quite make out what it says. If anyone has any information about these security features, particularly the second smaller one then I would be very intersted to hear more.

I've tried to find more information online but haven't had much luck, which I find strange for such a popular coin. I did a search for some HD images and have found two that illustrate at least where to look 

2018 Silver Version from @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer

2018-1-oz-silver-coin-krugerrand-bullion 

2017 Gold Version from @coininvest via Wikipedia

1_oz_Krugerrand_2017_Wertseite.png 

From the gold version the text is below the plant heads and I can see it's something like SAR81, maybe for South African Republic and a year?

2018-1-oz-silver-coin-krugerrand.jpg

2018-1-oz-silver-coin-krugerrand2.jpg

1_oz_Krugerrand_2017_Security Feature (1).png

1_oz_Krugerrand_2017_Security Feature (2).png

9 hours ago, Wileyfox said:

Hi all, 

I saw a video on the silver Krugerrand and there was a guy explaining a security feature that the newer Krugerrands have.. the word 'Krugerrand' in microtext behind the springbok's hind foot in the mountains, I go to check this on my silver Krugerrand and sure enough I can just about make out that the text is there. In the comments he then alludes to a second security feature with even smaller text but he doesn't go any further.. I can see that it is near the plant under the springbok's front leg but I can't quite make out what it says. If anyone has any information about these security features, particularly the second smaller one then I would be very intersted to hear more.

I've tried to find more information online but haven't had much luck, which I find strange for such a popular coin. I did a search for some HD images and have found two that illustrate at least where to look 

2018 Silver Version from @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer

2017 Gold Version from @coininvest via Wikipedia

From the gold version the text is below the plant heads and I can see it's something like SAR81, maybe for South African Republic and a year?

We do have a few photos:

2021southafrica1ozsilverbullionkrugerrandrevwithoverlayshwoingsecuritymarkcrop.thumb.jpg.a7fc5930901f724f40f18bd61273e85d.jpg

2021 Silver

2021southafrica1ozgoldkrugerrandbullionreversewithoverlayshowingsecuritymarkcrop.thumb.jpg.47869df72b836d6d91a5e60704a57ecb.jpg

2021 Gold

More to follow

I hope the other mark is not SARS! 🙂

Chards

I cannot find the "krugerrand" etched into any 2017 one ounce Silver Krugerrands.  They DO have the 50th anniversary seal. I'm looking for the letters between the leaves now. 

Edited by Bondojoe

On 25/08/2021 at 14:50, Bondojoe said:

I cannot find the "krugerrand" etched into any 2017 one ounce Silver Krugerrands.  They DO have the 50th anniversary seal. I'm looking for the letters between the leaves now. 

That's ok, from what I've learnt (by looking through images) these 'features' only appeared on the Silver Krugerrands from 2018 onwards (the bullion versions only). I think they appear on the gold versions (bullion) from 2017 onwards.

Thanks @LawrenceChard for the photos. Any idea what the purpose of the smaller mark might be? Maybe some sort of die number?

2 minutes ago, Wileyfox said:

That's ok, from what I've learnt (by looking through images) these 'features' only appeared on the Silver Krugerrands from 2018 onwards (the bullion versions only). I think they appear on the gold versions (bullion) from 2017 onwards.

Thanks @LawrenceChard for the photos. Any idea what the purpose of the smaller mark might be? Maybe some sort of die number?

I think as it is a "security" feature, they are keeping that top secret! 🙂

Rand Refineries and South Africa Mint do seem to have been very economical with their information.

Some of our Team have been working on it today, to go in our product information or a blog.

Chards

Ah lovely, thanks, from looking at a few more pictures I can now see an upside down triangle followed by four letters followed by the year. The letters and the position of the mark seem to change each year too.

It will be interesting to see what your team manage to find out.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...